A suggestion for a new language-specific forum...

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

IpseDixit
A suggestion for a new language-specific forum...

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-01-04, 18:46

Hello. I was wondering whether it could be possible to create (when you have time) a specific forum for Minority Romance Languages since they are quite successful among Unilangers.

Lur

Re: A suggestion for a new language-specific forum...

Postby Lur » 2014-01-05, 20:42

I 've been wondering for a while something similar about this, a subforum for the ones that don't have a forum. However, it's my understanding that no reworking of subforums is being done at the moment.

And even though I would hang in there I have no idea how many people would do so.
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

Itikar

Postby Itikar » 2014-01-05, 21:31

Lur wrote:And even though I would hang in there I have no idea how many people would do so.

Probably most of the Italians and several others too.

Seconded. 8-)
Fletto i muscoli e sono nel vuoto!
All corrections are welcome and appreciated.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2014-01-06, 3:36

We were actually thinking of it a while back, the plan was to convert the Asturian one into just that, but the activity in that forum and all the threads about those languages was too low.

Will a forum like that have any activity beyond word association games? In the long run I mean?

"The Person Below Me" games count as real activity by the way, since it's a great tool for practising a language. But word association and the like only take a dictionary or Google Translate.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-01-06, 14:36

Johanna wrote:Will a forum like that have any activity beyond word association games? In the long run I mean?

"The Person Below Me" games count as real activity by the way, since it's a great tool for practising a language. But word association and the like only take a dictionary or Google Translate.

Well, this is a good and difficult question. I cannot predict how active such a forum could become, but I've seen quite a decent number of more or less regular Unilangers with minority romance languages (different from Catalan) listed among the languages they're learning or would like to learn.

For example, basically all of the Italian users I've come across have a minority language of Italy on their list, (hence me, Massimiliano B, Itikar, hāozigǎnr, Aoristos and other users a bit less active but still active), Lur is of course interested, Ceid donn has Occitan, Psi-Lord has Galician, Saim too seemed to be interested in Occitan even though he doesn't have it on his list right now), then I've also seen less regular users like Zarcu Mihai or hrherry with MRL on their list.

Of course this doesn't necessarily guarantee a successful forum, but maybe there are some elements that could let us hope there could be quite a decent level of activity, and that it may be worth trying.

Itikar

Postby Itikar » 2014-01-06, 19:18

At present there are six boards for the big Romance languages of the Latin Union (Spanish, French, Portuguese, Italian, Romanian and Catalan) plus a board for Latin. A board for everything else Romance would be a perfect complement in my opinion.
Moreover it would make a lot more order: many minority Romance languages are dispersed in various boards and it is not easy to find them.
(Or at least for me it is so. :P )
Fletto i muscoli e sono nel vuoto!
All corrections are welcome and appreciated.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2014-01-06, 19:22

I'm definitely interested in Occitan! I haven't listed it in my list of languages because as it's a very minoritised language I've mainly been using it passively - but quite often, as I read in it several times a week. I've been planning to get into it more actively when my exams are done (late January). If there was to be a minority Romance languages forum I would definitely contribute things in Occitan (la persona al dessus de ieu, for example).

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2014-01-06, 21:15

I think it is a good idea.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2014-01-11, 6:31

Currently the situation is inconsistent. For example, that some threads about minority languages of Italy are opened in the "Other languages" forum and some other in the Italian forum.
(And yes, I used to list some minority language of Italy in my profile because I'm interested in them, but right now I've removed them giving the priority to languages with more resources)

Lur

Postby Lur » 2014-01-11, 22:16

I'm interested in Aragonese, Occitan, Asturianu-llionés-cántabru and Galician. I probably would do Aragonese and Galician of these. Specially because I live in Aragon and I now know a few Galician speakers.
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2014-01-11, 22:20

Saim wrote:I'm definitely interested in Occitan! I haven't listed it in my list of languages because as it's a very minoritised language I've mainly been using it passively - but quite often, as I read in it several times a week. I've been planning to get into it more actively when my exams are done (late January). If there was to be a minority Romance languages forum I would definitely contribute things in Occitan (la persona al dessus de ieu, for example).

I had no idea anyone else around here was genuinely interested in Occitan besides me. It's why I don't really post about it. I too am just picking it up from reading and songs, not really being aggressive about it since I can't get a hold of any coursebooks. But I'd love to see more interest in it. Maybe I could learn more from other learners here if there was someplace they could post stuff.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-01-12, 5:09

Lur wrote:I'm interested in Aragonese, Occitan, Asturianu-llionés-cántabru and Galician. I probably would do Aragonese and Galician of these. Specially because I live in Aragon and I now know a few Galician speakers.

Wow! I'm actively studying Ladin, and I'm also a bit interested in Romansh and Friulian, sometimes I have a mild wanderlust for Sardinian but I try to hold it back...

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2014-01-12, 7:20

I've been looking at Piedmontese and Ligurian resources for several months now and would be interested in seeing a minority Romance forum.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Saim

Postby Saim » 2014-01-12, 11:19

ceid donn wrote:
Saim wrote:I'm definitely interested in Occitan! I haven't listed it in my list of languages because as it's a very minoritised language I've mainly been using it passively - but quite often, as I read in it several times a week. I've been planning to get into it more actively when my exams are done (late January). If there was to be a minority Romance languages forum I would definitely contribute things in Occitan (la persona al dessus de ieu, for example).

I had no idea anyone else around here was genuinely interested in Occitan besides me. It's why I don't really post about it. I too am just picking it up from reading and songs, not really being aggressive about it since I can't get a hold of any coursebooks. But I'd love to see more interest in it. Maybe I could learn more from other learners here if there was someplace they could post stuff.

Encantat de practicar damb tu! Vesi que i a un bon recurs a la biblioteca de la mieuna facultat - una gramatica que compara l'occitan referencial damb l'aranés. Tanben hauen Assimil Occitan sans peine, mas shens audio. Doncas segurament n'aprendrai mai lo seguent quadrimestre, e partejarai causas per aicí!

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”