Issues and Bugs

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Osias
Re: Issues and Bugs

Postby Osias » 2019-09-23, 18:04

Luís wrote:Meanwhile, I'll try to find a better way of dealing with this (your suggestion is a good one), but since that'll probably mean some coding, it's going to take longer...

I remember seeing this on more than a forum, years ago. While I don't remember what ones, I think there were phpBB also. Meaning the feature is already here.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2019-09-23, 18:46

Osias wrote:
Luís wrote:Meanwhile, I'll try to find a better way of dealing with this (your suggestion is a good one), but since that'll probably mean some coding, it's going to take longer...

I remember seeing this on more than a forum, years ago. While I don't remember what ones, I think there were phpBB also. Meaning the feature is already here.

Yeah, probably. I'll have to investigate. The thing with this forum is that a lot of it is custom-made, so sometimes it's not so easy to upgrade and/or install new features.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-09-23, 20:32

Thanks.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2019-09-24, 10:08

Forum registration is now open again.

I found a feature that blocks the first x posts of a new user. I set it to 5 (but it can be adjusted). This means the first 5 posts (and only the first 5 posts) of a newly registered user will have to be approved by a moderator before being visible. This should keep most spammers away.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-09-24, 10:36

Sounds great. What if they post six?

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2019-09-24, 12:18

Osias wrote:Sounds great. What if they post six?

In fact, I think I can set the limit to something even lower (e.g. 1) because posts waiting for approval apparently don't count.

So, it doesn't matter if a spammer posts once or a hundred times, as long as s/he doesn't have 1 legitimate post, nothing will be visible.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-10-19, 19:53

I don’t understand why there’s a Google bot in the forum and what is it’s function? :hmm:

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-10-19, 23:43

Antea wrote:I don’t understand why there’s a Google bot in the forum and what is it’s function? :hmm:

I assume it goes through the posts and indexes them so that their contents can show up in Google searches. There is a Bing bot here quite often and I've always assumed that's what it does too. It probably happens on just about every site, but since this site tells us who is online at the bottom of the page, we can see it happening here.
I've always thought it a bit funny that it shows up as a "registered user" just like the rest of us do, though. Too bad it doesn't have a user profile so we could see which languages it speaks, how well it speaks them and which languages it wants to learn. I doubt you can PM it either. :silly:
Sono di continuo a caccia di parole. Descriverei il processo così: Ogni giorno entro in un bosco con un cestino in mano. Trovo le parole tutt'attorno: sugli alberi, nei cespugli, per terra (in realtà: per la strada, durante la conversazioni, mentre leggo). Ne raccolgo quante più possibile. -Jhumpa Lahiri

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-10-24, 15:17

Yeah, I see that on another forum I'm on, too.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2019-12-02, 3:49

When I try to attach a photo to my post, I get "http error".
What should I do?
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-12-09, 23:19

Have you tried reducing the size of the picture in some way?

Synalepha

Postby Synalepha » 2019-12-23, 21:22

The Portuguese subforum has become chocka with different versions of the "a pessoa abaixo de mim" game, so I was wondering if someone could make the normal, generic one sticky in order to be better found amongst the innumerable variations of it.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2019-12-23, 22:04

There also could be a subforum only for games. I mean a subsubforum.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2019-12-24, 16:55

vijayjohn wrote:Have you tried reducing the size of the picture in some way?

I'm using my phone, not computer, don't know how to do it.
There is a Chinese phrase and I am curious what it means.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2019-12-26, 10:27

Synalepha wrote:The Portuguese subforum has become chocka with different versions of the "a pessoa abaixo de mim" game, so I was wondering if someone could make the normal, generic one sticky in order to be better found amongst the innumerable variations of it.

OK, done.

aaakknu wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Have you tried reducing the size of the picture in some way?

I'm using my phone, not computer, don't know how to do it.
There is a Chinese phrase and I am curious what it means.

Can you try uploading the image again? (I've set a higher size limit for images - not sure if that's the problem though)

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-12-28, 14:30

I am trying to attach a photo (from my iPad) to a post, but I don’t know how. Is there a special command for it?

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-12-29, 10:57

I have already solved it.

Abavagada

Postby Abavagada » 2020-01-18, 16:41

To help deal with spam accounts, what about installing "Stop Forum Spam" addon?

It looks each new registration up in a database of known spammers and blocks them from being approved if they are on there.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=2404266
"Internet killed the video star. Telepathy killed the internet star." - Men Without Hats
Parleremo - Where Languages Live! http://www.parleremo.org

Brzeczyszczykiewicz

Postby Brzeczyszczykiewicz » 2020-04-25, 2:15

I've only been around here for a few days, but I've noticed that notifications don't seem to be working properly. I have them "on" for everything, yet whenever someone replies to one of my posts, I get them only like half of the time.

Not a huge issue, for sure, but I would really appreciate it if something could be done about it.

Thank you very much; enjoying the forum a lot!

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2020-04-25, 3:44

Brzeczyszczykiewicz wrote:I've only been around here for a few days, but I've noticed that notifications don't seem to be working properly. I have them "on" for everything, yet whenever someone replies to one of my posts, I get them only like half of the time.

Which replies are you getting notifications for? There's only a notification when someone quotes you (Specifically, when they put your username in the quote tag).
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”