Issues and Bugs

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Issues and Bugs

Postby OldBoring » 2018-11-08, 9:48

I actually speak "Italian Chinese" but there isn't this option. :P
But after years in China, my speech has Chinesised, so I say 超市 instead of 公司.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-11-08, 16:32

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:I'm not sure I can say I focused on a particular variety of Spanish per se, but I'd still say Mexican Spanish is by far the variety I'm most familiar with. Andalusian and Canarian Spanish seem to be really close to Latin American varieties of Spanish, and I vaguely remember hearing/reading that most(?) of the Spaniards that colonized the Americas were originally small-time farmers from Andalusia or something like that.

I thought a good amount of them came from the Canary Islands?

A good amount did, because the Island pretty quickly reached their carrying capacity and had to start exporting surplus population. Also it wasn't unusual in colonial times for ships to have to wait their for up to a year before making the crossing so it's believed that colonists may have picked up characteristics from the locals that way as well.

That said, there are some distinctively Canarian dialect features that--as far as I know--are not found in the Americas, notably intervocalic voicing of oral stops.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-12-01, 12:37

Would it be ok in increase the attachments allowed in a post to more than 2? I'm not suggesting we make it 15 or something, but it might be nice to have it be, say 5.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-12-02, 2:56

księżycowy wrote:Would it be ok in increase the attachments allowed in a post to more than 2? I'm not suggesting we make it 15 or something, but it might be nice to have it be, say 5.

It is more than 2, isn't it? I'm pretty sure I've uploaded more than 2 attachments before.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-12-02, 2:59

Nope, it's two per post for me, too.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-12-02, 3:29

Then I was mistaken, and probably have only ever included 2 attachments in a post.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-12-02, 10:43

księżycowy wrote:Would it be ok in increase the attachments allowed in a post to more than 2? I'm not suggesting we make it 15 or something, but it might be nice to have it be, say 5.

OK, done.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-12-02, 10:58

Thanks! :D

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-12-02, 21:50

Oh, wow, I just noticed this! :lol: Thanks!

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2018-12-13, 0:31

When I want to quote someone in the Italian forum, sometimes I click on edit instead of quote and I realize that only after I've submitted the post (luckily, I've always managed to recover the original post). I don't know if I'm the only fumbling idiot who's done that, but in any case I was wondering if it would be possible to relocate the edit and quote buttons very far from each another, in order to avoid this nuisance.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-12-13, 9:12

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but the edit and the quote buttons are not next to each other at the moment.... :hmm:
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2018-12-13, 9:59

Luís wrote:Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, but the edit and the quote buttons are not next to each other at the moment.... :hmm:

Yeah but first you have to click on the same button. I don't know, apparently it's enough to get me confused if I'm not paying much attention. xD

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-12-13, 13:38

No, that happens to other people, too. I've accidentally edited someone's post before instead of quoting them.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-12-13, 14:08

Same here.

I frequently don't realize it until after the damage is done. :P

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2018-12-13, 14:30

I do that all the time. I think it's because my stupid brain sees the edit-symbol and thinks "pen = writing = that's how I'll answer them! : )"

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2018-12-13, 14:57

On my Android phone it looks like this:

Screenshot (13 dec 2018 3_17_33 em).png

Screenshot (13 dec 2018 3_18_05 em).png

And even on my computer it's no better than this:

Screenshot_2018-12-13_15-16-01.png

It's pretty easy to go to the wrong end of the list or row if you're tired, clumsy, have fingers a bit too large for your touchscreen, or your mouse pointer lags behind. And once you have clicked on one or the other, the write/edit box looks the same save for that "save draft" option you get underneath it when you quote but not when you edit.

I'm not sure what solutions are possible... Maybe move that option away from the others and put it on the left instead? I'd prefer a pup-up that reminded me that I'm about to edit a post instead of quoting it, but considering the number of languages that would involve, I'm pretty sure it's not feasible.

Edit: I use Firefox on both phone and computer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Johanna on 2018-12-13, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2018-12-13, 15:11

Johanna, yeah same here (I was writing my post late in the night and yeah, I wasn't very good at explaining that point).

IMHO, the ideal solution would be place the edit button on the bottom (even bottom left to be extra-careful) of each post, and - keeping into account what Naava said (which I agree with) - maybe change the symbols too? Like put E for edit and Q for quote instead of a pen and a quotation mark.

Of course it's just a proposal, I have no idea if this is feasible.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2018-12-13, 15:53

I think they should still be pictures since not everyone has the forum set to English. In Swedish for example, "edit" is redigera and "quote" is citera.

Not that quotation marks look the same in all languages, but especially the 99-looking one seems to be pretty much universal among those that use the Latin script, even if some use them as the 2nd or even 3rd option. And well, the 66-looking one is close enough.

Edit: typo.
Last edited by Johanna on 2018-12-13, 16:31, edited 2 times in total.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2018-12-13, 16:24

I agree with Johanna: I like the symbols because they're not language specific.

Would it help if the first button was "quote" and not "edit"? Imo it's more logical to have the most used button first (if you're reading from left to right, that is. Sorry, Arabic etc.)

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2018-12-13, 16:33

Naava wrote:I agree with Johanna: I like the symbols because they're not language specific.

Would it help if the first button was "quote" and not "edit"? Imo it's more logical to have the most used button first (if you're reading from left to right, that is. Sorry, Arabic etc.)

That's a really good idea actually. Quote, report, delete, edit? The inverse of how it is now in other words.

Also, the image should probably be changed to a 99-looking quotation mark if possible.

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”