Issues and Bugs

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Osias
Re: Issues and Bugs

Postby Osias » 2016-09-09, 17:04

I know. :)
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-12, 10:27

Is anyone having trouble accessing Private Messages? I received 4 PMs recently and when I clicked on the Notification, I was sent to a page that say something like "you can't access PMs that are on a waiting list". For example, I received a PM from france-eesti on 08 Jan 2017, 05:12. And when I click on it, I get this message (it's in French because my language is set to French):

Vous ne pouvez pas consulter les messages privés qui sont en liste d’attente.

I still am not able to access those four PMs, nor do they show up in my Inbox.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-12, 12:57

Is your inbox 100% full?

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-01-12, 13:57

vijayjohn wrote:Is your inbox 100% full?

Yes it was; thanks! I forgot that could happen.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-13, 0:32

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Is your inbox 100% full?

Yes it was; thanks! I forgot that could happen.

When that happened to me, what I did first was to create additional folders for messages to and from specific people. Unfortunately, it seems you can only create four additional folders max, so by now, I've taken a bunch of my older messages, copied them into text files (actually LibreOffice files in my case), and deleted the original PMs. That way, I have a record of the original messages, but I can also free up space in my inbox.

gnomestani

Postby gnomestani » 2017-02-09, 3:34

It doesn't seem to be possible to search users by language anymore; searching any individual language lists all members.
Native: [flag=]en-US[/flag]
Intermediate: [flag=]ar-MA[/flag][flag=]fr[/flag]
Actively Learning: [flag=]non[/flag][flag=]fa[/flag]
On Deck: [flag=]la-VA[/flag][flag=]oj[/flag][flag=]mn[/flag][flag=]ae[/flag]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-02-09, 5:02

Yes, that's correct. See here (the second item listed with a preceding hyphen).

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2017-03-12, 23:49

In the "Other language" section, the first topic is the Galician thread, even though the last post was made in 2009.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-03-13, 13:35

Massimiliano B wrote:In the "Other language" section, the first topic is the Galician thread, even though the last post was made in 2009.

For me the first topic is the Corsican thread and the last post was made by you this year.

Yserenhart

Postby Yserenhart » 2017-03-13, 14:07

dEhiN wrote:
Massimiliano B wrote:In the "Other language" section, the first topic is the Galician thread, even though the last post was made in 2009.

For me the first topic is the Corsican thread and the last post was made by you this year.

That's because I changed the Galician thread to a standard topic earlier, causing it to no longer be the first thread.
Native: Derbyshire English (en-GB)/New Zealand English (en-NZ) Learning: Vlaams (nl-BE)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-03-13, 15:57

The Galician thread was a sticky for while, for some reason. That's why no matter what it would always be at the top of the thread list.

Olinguito

Postby Olinguito » 2017-04-02, 8:59

Why is Hausa grouped with the Chinese languages in the Language List?

Bassaricyon neblina

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-04-02, 9:26

Hausa, Hànyǔ, Han-gugeo

AFAIK, the languages are ordered alphabetically according to the language's native name
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-04-02, 10:47

I don't necessarily think that means that Hausa is grouped with Chinese, but rather that Hausa written in Latin script is grouped with Hausa written in Arabic script. The gray boxes might just be meshed together. It's not like the grey "boxes" have the clearest borders.

Olinguito

Postby Olinguito » 2017-04-02, 12:15

księżycowy wrote:I don't necessarily think that means that Hausa is grouped with Chinese, but rather that Hausa written in Latin script is grouped with Hausa written in Arabic script. The gray boxes might just be meshed together. It's not like the grey "boxes" have the clearest borders.

But why would Hausa come between Classical Chinese and the other Chinese languages? Shouldn't Classical Chinese and the other Chinese languages be together? :hmm:
Bassaricyon neblina

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-04-02, 13:05

I didn't even notice that. :lol: I would think that Classical Chinese should be grouped with the other varieties of Chinese, but maybe it isn't for some reason.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-04-03, 0:18

I'm gonna come right out and say it just because nobody else has yet: It's probably a mistake.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-04-03, 4:59

vijayjohn wrote:I'm gonna come right out and say it just because nobody else has yet: It's probably a mistake.

But the placement of Hausa may not be the mistake.

From what I can tell, specific varieties of a language are grouped with the grey boxing, while the language "head" isn't. (Check out French versus the varieties of French, or English versus its varieties, or Persian versus its varieties). So then Hausa is grouped since there are 2 varieties.

Before the Classical Chinese entry, we have all the languages that start with G. (Remember, as Luís said, and as it says at the top of that list, the languages are sorted by native language name.) Leaving aside Classical Chinese and all the Chinese varieties, the next entry is Hausa (both Latin and Arabic) and Hausa's native name is Harshan Hausa in Latin and Hershan Mania in Arabic.

When we look at the Chinese varieties, it gets weird.

Classical Chinese - Wényán
Mandarin Chinese - Hànyǔ
Cantonese - Yuèyǔ
Hakka - Kèjiā yǔ
Xiang Chinese - Xiāngyǔ
Hui - Huī yǔ
Minnan Chinese - Mǐnnán yǔ
Mindong Chinese - Mǐn dōng yǔ

After that is Korean which is han-gug-eo. So unless the IPA pronunciation of those Pinyin Chinese names somehow make them fit with G and H, it looks to me like the Chinese varieties are placed in the wrong spot.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2017-04-03, 17:29

Why is Unilang no longer a secure site (https)? :hmm: I guess the certificate has expired or something? I don't feel like logging in because I guess anyone can "listen" to my password currently.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2017-04-03, 18:25

Varislintu wrote:Why is Unilang no longer a secure site (https)? :hmm: I guess the certificate has expired or something? I don't feel like logging in because I guess anyone can "listen" to my password currently.

It is for me, and I don't get any message about the certificate not being in order either...

Maybe you just followed a link that left out the s? AFAIK it's still possible to access the forum via plain old http, and unfortunately you won't get redirected automatically.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”