Ancient Languages subforum?

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

kibo
Re: Ancient Languages subforum?

Postby kibo » 2012-06-29, 13:16

1. The name could be "Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages", I think that covers everything :P

2. These are the already existing topics that should be moved to this forum:

From the Other languages subforum in the Language-specific forum.

Ancient Hawaiian - Orero Tahito Havaii
old afro-asiatic
Akkadian
Middle High German - Diutsch
Old Norse - there are 3 seperate threads for that for some unknown reason (first, second, third)
Dalmatian
Old church slavonic
Ge'ez - Classical Ethiopic [ ግዕዝ - ልሳነ፡ኢትዮጵያ። ]
Gothic
Coptic/Egyptian
Prussian (Prūsiskan)

In the Greek forum

ἑλληνὶς γλῶττα - ancient Greek

If you know any (already existing!) thread that should be here, please add it to this list, I doubt I found everything.

3. The Latin forum should stay separate for now due to its fairly decent level of activity.
Goals:
[flag=]es[/flag] ➜ C1 (DELE)
[flag=]de[/flag] ➜ B2 (Goethe-Zertifikat) / C1
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

Remis

Postby Remis » 2012-06-29, 13:56

kibo wrote:1. The name could be "Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages", I think that covers everything :P
Awesome. :mrgreen:
Old Norse - there are 3 seperate threads for that for some unknown reason
I don't know about the first two, but I started the third one because the newest one was pretty much buried five pages back or so and hadn't had any activity since what amounts to the Fall of Rome in forum-years (I grew up with forums where grave-digging is considered a good reason for giving a warning :roll: ).
If you know any (already existing!) thread that should be here, please add it to this list, I doubt I found everything.
संस्कृता वाक् - Sanskrit!? It has a tonne of native speakers (well, 10k+), but it is a classical language on the same level as Ancient Greek and Classical Latin.
Remis Kalvan | art / ˈfɛɪsˌbʊk | L1: [flag]no-nb[/flag] L2: [flag]en[/flag] reading short stories in: [flag]it[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]

TAC 2012 [flag]ja[/flag] [flag]la[/flag] ([flag]es-mx[/flag] [flag]non[/flag])
Of immense interest: [flag]grc[/flag] [flag]akk[/flag] [flag]egy[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag] [flag]mt[/flag] [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]eu[/flag] [flag]pl[/flag] [flag]prg[/flag] [flag]nah[/flag] [flag]qu[/flag] [flag]nv[/flag] [flag]zh.Hant[/flag]
Wanderlustin' for [flag]ain[/flag] [flag]ka[/flag] [flag]mn[/flag] [flag]cy[/flag] [flag]af[/flag]

JackFrost

Postby JackFrost » 2012-06-29, 14:09

Let's not forget about the Old English thread. :mrgreen:
Neferuj paħujkij!

Lur

Postby Lur » 2012-06-29, 15:07

There's an Old Irish thread too.
Geurea dena lapurtzen uzteagatik, geure izaerari uko egiteagatik.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-06-29, 22:12

kibo wrote:1. The name could be "Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages", I think that covers everything :P

Sounds good to me.

3. The Latin forum should stay separate for now due to its fairly decent level of activity.

That sounds fair. Could you also move the two word games I created in the Latin forum to the new forum when it's created? That would be the "Ancient Word Game" and "Ancient Alphabet Game." Thanks kibo! :D

Meera

Postby Meera » 2012-07-02, 21:43

księżycowy wrote:Yeah, I think Sanskrit should be included. Really that would be the great thing about a sub-forum like this, any ancient language could be included. :)

That would be awesome. :mrgreen: I hope a forum is made, I would be really interested in Languages like Bablyonian and Ancient Egptian and Hitttie.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-07-02, 23:14

Meera wrote:That would be awesome. :mrgreen: I hope a forum is made, I would be really interested in Languages like Bablyonian and Ancient Egptian and Hitttie.

:yep: :yep: :yep:

kibo

Postby kibo » 2012-07-02, 23:19

It's quite certain it will be created.

Tomorrow though. :P
Goals:
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-07-02, 23:48

kibo wrote:It's quite certain it will be created.

Tomorrow though. :P

I think I can wait a day! :P

kibo

Postby kibo » 2012-07-03, 7:33

Done! :)
Goals:
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

Remis

Postby Remis » 2012-07-03, 13:11

Awesome! Thanks, Kibo. :mrgreen:
Remis Kalvan | art / ˈfɛɪsˌbʊk | L1: [flag]no-nb[/flag] L2: [flag]en[/flag] reading short stories in: [flag]it[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]

TAC 2012 [flag]ja[/flag] [flag]la[/flag] ([flag]es-mx[/flag] [flag]non[/flag])
Of immense interest: [flag]grc[/flag] [flag]akk[/flag] [flag]egy[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag] [flag]mt[/flag] [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]eu[/flag] [flag]pl[/flag] [flag]prg[/flag] [flag]nah[/flag] [flag]qu[/flag] [flag]nv[/flag] [flag]zh.Hant[/flag]
Wanderlustin' for [flag]ain[/flag] [flag]ka[/flag] [flag]mn[/flag] [flag]cy[/flag] [flag]af[/flag]

sa wulfs

Postby sa wulfs » 2012-07-03, 13:20

I think dumping them all together is overkill. There are certain ancient languages that are more likely to interest the same kind of people, so you could have "Ancient Germanic languages" for people who are into Germanistics, "Ancient Romance languages" for Romance philologists and afficionados, etc. As it stands now, it's a subforum that, for any given forumer, will contain 90% of info they have zero interest in, and chances are many will skip the subforum altogether.

At least make subforums within the subforum or something.
http://ungelicisus.blogspot.com
Hrōþabaírhts sa Wulfs | Hrōðbeorht se Wulf | Hróðbjartr Úlfrinn | Hruodperaht der Wolf | Hrôthberht thê Wulf

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-07-03, 13:43

sa wulfs wrote:At least make subforums within the subforum or something.

I'm not sure if that would be possible, but it's a good idea if it can be done. Though that might lead to the question of why the NAIL and CSAIL forum aren't like that. And those forums work fine with all those languages lumped together.

As it stands now, I think the subforum is fine. In any given subforum there are tons of threads I have no interest in and I still use them. I highly doubt that would deter anyone from using it.

I do understand you're speaking from a linguistic standpoint, btw.

Though I could be wrong. :whistle:

EDIT: Maybe we could make some threads/stickys of some of the major groups/languages?

Meera

Postby Meera » 2012-07-03, 19:22

Yay! Thanks Kibo! :mrgreen:
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

kibo

Postby kibo » 2012-07-03, 19:48

You're welcome! :)

księżycowy wrote:As it stands now, I think the subforum is fine. In any given subforum there are tons of threads I have no interest in and I still use them. I highly doubt that would deter anyone from using it.

Exactly. If the philologists/afficionados for the XY ancient language want a separate subforum, they will first have to increase the activity and then we can talk about creating subforums.
Goals:
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

sa wulfs

Postby sa wulfs » 2012-07-04, 18:30

Since the names of these catch-all subforums are pretty arbitrary, could they not be listed in alphabetical order with all the rest? Could they appear either at the beginning or at the end of the list, preferably with some visual separation?
http://ungelicisus.blogspot.com
Hrōþabaírhts sa Wulfs | Hrōðbeorht se Wulf | Hróðbjartr Úlfrinn | Hruodperaht der Wolf | Hrôthberht thê Wulf

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2012-07-05, 14:13

Since we have the Ancient Languages subforum out of the way, how about Caucasian and African subforums? :P

ffrench

Postby ffrench » 2012-07-05, 17:59

Seconded. And Australian Aboriginal languages would be pretty snazzy too, although I understand that it's a rather minor non-priority.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2012-07-05, 18:32

Will those forums get any activity though, apart from a few game threads?

We don't want more dead or zombie forums, that's why we made all those merges in the first place.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Struthiomimus

Postby Struthiomimus » 2012-07-06, 0:05

ffrench wrote:And Australian Aboriginal languages would be pretty snazzy too, although I understand that it's a rather minor non-priority.

Yes! Seconded, thirded...(n+1)thed!

Johanna wrote:Will those forums get any activity though, apart from a few game threads?

An Australian Languages Forum (or ALF) would. I've been posting to the Warlpiri thread for years, and that's without any game threads :) And there are others interested in Aussie languages. If nothing else, an Aussie language forum would help with organization, because the Warlpiri, Pitjantjatjara, Arrernte, Awabakal and Kalaw Lagaw Ya threads could all be located together in one place, instead of lost in the sea that is the Other Languages section. So, pretty please? :doggy:

As far as a Caucasian forum, I dunno, but for the African languages forum, couldn't you just convert the Swahili forum and move the relevant Other Language threads to it (Wolof, Twi, etc.)? Something similar was done when the Lakota forum became the NAIL forum.
[flag=]wbp[/flag] [flag=]qu[/flag] [flag=]eo[/flag] [flag=]wo[/flag] [flag=]rom[/flag] [flag=]csb[/flag] [flag=]lkt[/flag]

"Beshav me akana kai le chirikle chi gilaban." kaj, "Beidh ceol, caint agus craic againn."

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”