Please help translate the UniLang website to many languages!

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Bubulus
Re: Please help translate the UniLang website to many languages!

Postby Bubulus » 2011-04-24, 17:24

ruusukaali wrote:It's really bothering my OCD side that half the site is left untranslated in Finnish. :l Country names, language names, all of these posting buttons like "quote", "list" etc. and then the front page with the names and descriptions of the different forums. If no one else has the intention to translate them I'd really like to so I don't go crazy. :)
All those parts are untranslatable from the Translation & Development Centre, cope with it until we get some active developers, as sad as it is. :P

ruusukaali

Postby ruusukaali » 2011-04-24, 19:04

Renaçido wrote:
ruusukaali wrote:It's really bothering my OCD side that half the site is left untranslated in Finnish. :l Country names, language names, all of these posting buttons like "quote", "list" etc. and then the front page with the names and descriptions of the different forums. If no one else has the intention to translate them I'd really like to so I don't go crazy. :)
All those parts are untranslatable from the Translation & Development Centre, cope with it until we get some active developers, as sad as it is. :P

SERIOUSLY? D: Dang.
:bounce:

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2011-04-28, 20:44

proycon wrote:Image
I know I'm just replying to something posted more than two years ago, but, why would anybody add the message "This might be incorrect and has to be verified still!"? If you don't know how to translate it, then just don't do it... Now it's problematic because there's several of these messages around, and there's a bug where no space that has been used can be deleted.

If you click on the Image button, it will appear that it's going to be deleted once the changes to the phrasebook are approved by a moderator. But the changes get approved, and the comment doesn't get deleted.

The only way to deal with it is to replace it with some invisible Unicode point, like the left-to-right mark or something. :? (Leaving it blank also seems to be ignored, returning to the text that was there before the changes.)

LSLS

Postby LSLS » 2011-06-02, 0:16

There are some European Portuguese strings that would be exactly the same in Brazilian Portuguese. Should we just Copy&Paste these? Or they should still empty as it doesn't matter anyway?

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2011-06-02, 3:29

LSLS wrote:There are some European Portuguese strings that would be exactly the same in Brazilian Portuguese. Should we just Copy&Paste these? Or they should still empty as it doesn't matter anyway?
If they are the same, feel free to copy-paste them. :)

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2012-01-02, 23:15

Lanky wrote:I can assist with yoruba if this is needed, I can't seem to find it :?
Yes, it isn't in the list. Theoretically you could add it, but I think the adding new languages function is broken too (I think I read of somebody trying to add a new language and complaining that it failed a while ago, I don't feel like testing it myself with some random new language just to add more junk to the system tho).

The Translation and Development Centre has a huge number of bugs at the moment, so far unattended by any server admin or developer unfortunately. It looks like we'll have to the wait until somebody has the will and time to do it (and perhaps even permission or skills, I don't know).

ingridjackson

Postby ingridjackson » 2012-01-15, 10:54

I've noticed that there 's a translation to different languages including the Asian countries. But, i just would like to know if you have plans of having a translation using the Filipino language?

Riptide

Postby Riptide » 2012-01-15, 15:55

Any member is allowed to contribute translations. I've contributed some for the Filipino language, but I'm trying to improve my understanding of the language before I do a considerable amount of those translations. However, it would be great if a native speaker could do it.
Unilang Language Codes
Skype chats (ask to be added):
Austronesian Languages, Romance Languages, and Main UL
Main Languages of focus: Costa Rican Spanish (es-cr) Spanish, Tagalog (tl) Tagalog, Malagasy (mg) Malagasy
Other Languages: Cebuano (ceb) Cebuano, Romanian (ro) Romanian

Michael

Postby Michael » 2012-03-24, 19:08

…and with the exhaustive, ever-growing language list of ours, featuring a shitload of the most obscure Caucasian languages I've never even heard of, getting all those language names translated would be a suicide mission! So yeah, just gonna have to deal with it.

I use the Greek version of Unilang right now (helps me learn essential Greek net vocab), since the Portuguese version is full of mistakes and hispanicisms, thus nothing more than an eyesore, although I did correct the first few mistakes I encountered when I had first started using the Portuguese version a while ago. I must also applaud the person who put together the Greek translation…it's decent!
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2012-03-25, 20:06

I feel like it was Ego or one of our other older, active Greeks. They're cool guys.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Michael

Postby Michael » 2012-03-27, 4:33

ILuvEire wrote:I feel like it was Ego or one of our other older, active Greeks. They're cool guys.
It could have been, but as far as I know, it was thanks to a certain Giannis Orfanidis. :wink:
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

Türkmeni söýýän

Postby Türkmeni söýýän » 2012-04-12, 10:32

proycon wrote:...- Spanish ]Front-Page done by me, but please check!]

Edit: NOTA BENE (PLEASE NOTE): This is just suggestions based on what sounds right/wrong better/a little off to me. Like how a native speaker of English will always point out/notice how red big house is completely in the wrong order for the adjectives and should be big red house.

Overall good job. But just a few things that need correcting to sound better, at least to me. But also see what others say. So, you have ...con nuestros muchos recursos de idiomas gratis! for ...using our many free language resources! It would sound better and match English better with: ...usando muchos de nuestros recursos gratis! Gratuito's another word for gratis and either is fine. It seems that more people use lengua over idioma, so maybe consider changing idioma to lengua, but, as I said see what others say. Also you wouldn't need to use idioma/lengua again after the first time, the same could be said of the English version as well (just a comment on the English version). The deal with nuestros muchos recursos is that at least to me, a more natural way of saying it is muchos de nuestros cursos, lining up a bit with a lot of in English. For Learn, discuss and practise languages instead of ¡Aprende, practica y discute ... a better sounding version would be: ¡Aprende, practica y habla sobre lenguas.... The one thing being that 1) discutir isn't followed by sobre as far as I've ever heard. and 2) hablar sobre works better in this context than discutir.

Edit: This one isn't up for debate because make and do both translate to hacer, at least generally and if you're gonna translate Make and translate... then it should be haz y traduce.
And on the last one: ¡Crea y traduce... for Make and translate... A better way, at least matching up with the English is Haz y traduce... I understand that in both languages, create and make mean the same thing, but if you wanna go for the same meaning hacer is a better choice than crear.
Last edited by Türkmeni söýýän on 2013-08-16, 9:47, edited 3 times in total.

Türkmeni söýýän

Postby Türkmeni söýýän » 2012-04-12, 10:34

I would love to translate to Turkmen if not already done. But first I have to translate La Grammaire descriptive du turkmène à l'usage des francophones into English and I barely speak French. But once I do and I have a grip on the grammar and bigger vocabulary, I wouldn't mind translating, I have really good dictionaries at my disposal online so I can always find a word but if someone's beat me to the punch I'll also be happy with that.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2012-04-14, 5:27

Türkmeni söýýän wrote:I would love to translate to Turkmen if not already done. But first I have to translate La Grammaire descriptive du turkmène à l'usage des francophones into English and I barely speak French. But once I do and I have a grip on the grammar and bigger vocabulary, I wouldn't mind translating, I have really good dictionaries at my disposal online so I can always find a word but if someone's beat me to the punch I'll also be happy with that.

Go ahead and start translating the website as described in the first post of this thread then!

I'm trying to become a moderator for the site, so I could work with you on the technical aspects of translating, if I become one that is.
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2012-04-14, 5:45

Türkmeni söýýän wrote:Overall good job. But just a few things that need correcting to sound better, at least to me.
Actually, another non-native and three natives (including me) have already had a hand in editing the translation since it was posted...
But also see what others say. So, you have ...con nuestros muchos recursos de idiomas gratis! for ...using our many free language resources! It would sound better and match English better with: ...usando muchos de nuestros recursos gratis! [...] The deal with nuestros muchos recursos is that at least to me, a more natural way of saying it is muchos de nuestros cursos, lining up a bit with a lot of in English.
Not sure. Muchos de nuestros recursos implies it's not all the resources, while I think English our many resources does imply it's all of them, it's just that on top of that they happen to be "many" too. So I'd think the translation as it is is fine?

The rest is more of stylistic differences, I would think, the rest would hardly make a difference to me. I should point out idioma is more common in Spanish than lengua though, which sounds almost poetic or just... less common (in some expressions like lengua materna 'mother tongue' it's much better of course), and discutir can be happily followed by sobre.

Teutonius

Postby Teutonius » 2012-06-20, 6:00

Toi co y dinh doi mot so tu dich trong bang phien dich ay, vidu: muc tieu ngon ngu > tieng goc, tieng d-i´ch, vv. cac ban nghi sao?
Etiam in versio latina deficiunt multa verba. Numquis hoc faciet?

bk9sw

Postby bk9sw » 2012-07-03, 14:44

I thought I could help translating something in Vietnamese if you need :D

Sula.Nebo

Postby Sula.Nebo » 2012-10-17, 13:59

If there's some work to do on the Russian version of the cite, I'll be glad to help :)

Türkmeni söýýän

Postby Türkmeni söýýän » 2013-08-16, 9:36

Serafín wrote:
Türkmeni söýýän wrote:Overall good job. But just a few things that need correcting to sound better, at least to me.
Actually, another non-native and three natives (including me) have already had a hand in editing the translation since it was posted...
But also see what others say. So, you have ...con nuestros muchos recursos de idiomas gratis! for ...using our many free language resources! It would sound better and match English better with: ...usando muchos de nuestros recursos gratis! [...] The deal with nuestros muchos recursos is that at least to me, a more natural way of saying it is muchos de nuestros cursos, lining up a bit with a lot of in English.
Not sure. Muchos de nuestros recursos implies it's not all the resources, while I think English our many resources does imply it's all of them, it's just that on top of that they happen to be "many" too. So I'd think the translation as it is is fine?

The rest is more of stylistic differences, I would think, the rest would hardly make a difference to me. I should point out idioma is more common in Spanish than lengua though, which sounds almost poetic or just... less common (in some expressions like lengua materna 'mother tongue' it's much better of course), and discutir can be happily followed by sobre.

Well, I did say see what others say, but please don't take that as me being rude, I just don't know if you saw that though, but thanks for pointing it out. Sometimes my bilingualism with English and Castilian borders on code switching to straight up mashing them together. I was just pointing out what sounded better to me based on my own experiences. Well if people use idioma more then so be it! Idioma it is, I guess I'm just mixing in the other Spanish languages which tend to use the equivalent of lengua without so much as mentioning idioma. Not to mention French's langue and well English language. Bit of interferrence I guess. Thanks wasn't sure if I was mixing things up.

IN SHORT: My bad on some of the things. Then again, apparently I don't speak English like others, so there's that too. Maybe I'm being too hard on myself. :)

Türkmeni söýýän

Postby Türkmeni söýýän » 2013-08-16, 9:41

Serafín wrote:

I should also clarify, I was pointing things out that didn't sound right to me. Now that I think about it, I should have mentioned it when I first posted. Welp time to do some editing on that post.

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”