Language List

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

księżycowy
Re: "My languages" options

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-10, 21:18

I think I scared him off with all of my Irish and Japanese talk. :whistle:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-11-10, 23:37

vijayjohn wrote:
dEhiN wrote:I'll ask Meera for her thoughts again.

So did you? :whistle:

Oh totally forgot to!

Ok, I just messaged her on Whatsapp. I'll let you know what she says.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-11-13, 2:22

So did she say anything? :P

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2017-11-13, 9:12

Why Australian Kriol is listed after Romanian?

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-11-13, 19:26

Irusia wrote:Why Australian Kriol is listed after Romanian?

The language code for Australian Kriol is rop and languages are sorted by their code. However, they're sorted alphabetically on the language list page. I don't know if there's a reason for that, I'll have to investigate.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-11-13, 20:29

vijayjohn wrote:So did she say anything? :P

No, not yet.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-14, 23:25

English name: Onondaga
Native name: Onoñda'gegá'/Onǫda'gegá'
ISO: ono
Flag: same as for Cayuga and Mohawk.

There are two competing spelling systems for Onondaga, one used in Canada and one used by the Onondaga Nation in NYS. I don't presume to favor one over the other.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-17, 23:34

And also:

English name: Hupa
Native Name: Na:tinixwe Mixine:whe'
ISO: hup
Flag:
Hoopa_Valley.jpg

Sorry once again for not shrinking the flag.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-11-18, 14:01

księżycowy wrote:English name: Onondaga
Native name: Onoñda'gegá'/Onǫda'gegá'
ISO: ono
Flag: same as for Cayuga and Mohawk.

There are two competing spelling systems for Onondaga, one used in Canada and one used by the Onondaga Nation in NYS. I don't presume to favor one over the other.

Added

księżycowy wrote:And also:

English name: Hupa
Native Name: Na:tinixwe Mixine:whe'
ISO: hup
Flag:
Hoopa_Valley.jpg

Sorry once again for not shrinking the flag.

Added

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-18, 14:30

תודה :D

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2017-11-18, 21:51

English name: Temne
Native Name: KʌThemnɛ
ISO: tem
Flag: (tem-SL)
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-11-24, 20:34

Luís wrote:
Irusia wrote:Why Australian Kriol is listed after Romanian?

The language code for Australian Kriol is rop and languages are sorted by their code. However, they're sorted alphabetically on the language list page. I don't know if there's a reason for that, I'll have to investigate.

Fixed
(languages are now ordered alphabetically by the English name)

Elaine wrote:English name: Temne
Native Name: KʌThemnɛ
ISO: tem
Flag: (tem-SL)

Added

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-11-25, 14:33

I just noticed that the final apostrophe (glottal stop) is missing on the end of Onǫda’gegá’.

Also, I'd hate to ask, but can you make the apostrophes in Onondaga and Cayuga like this: ’

That was my fault. Sorry.

EDIT: I also notice that the Seneca language website spells the Seneca language as: Onöndowa’ga:’ gawë:nö’. I'm sure it's just a dialectal difference (or tiny error in the dictionary), but whatever the case I'd still like to follow their lead on this.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-12-02, 9:42

Edit: I'm merging several requests into one post so I don't have multiple posts.

--------------------------------------------------

Could we create a complex code for São Toméan Portuguese? There are 2 past FSC song nominations that are in São Toméan Portuguese. One of them uses the IEFT (according to English Wikipedia) and/or ISO 639-1 (according to Portuguese Wikipedia) code, while the other uses the flag of Sao Tome and Principe. I tried to see if there's such a thing as Principean Portuguese, but according to the Portuguese Wikipedia page for São Toméan Portuguese, there doesn't seem to be:
O português são-tomense ou santomense é um dialeto da língua portuguesa falado em São Tomé e Príncipe.

Could we also create an Angolan Portuguese flag/code? There's a past FSC song nomination in it.

The language list shows Slovene while the language forum is called Slovenian. Wikipedia lists both as the language name in English. Could we pick one and make the language list + forum the same?

It looks like the complex codes for the Sami dialects don't show up properly. Ex (taken from the Used Songs List):

Lule Sami (smi-smj) Sami, Lule: Jarŋŋa - Ájges Ájggáj (ruusukaali)
Northern Sami (smi-sme) Sami, Northern: Sofia Jannok - Irene (Mefi)
Northern Sami (smi-sme) Sami, Northern: Jiella - Olát Ánde (Ashucky)
Northern Sami (smi-sme) Sami, Northern: Sofia Jannok - Liekkas (Mutusen)
Northern Sami (smi-sme) Sami, Northern: Wimme - Agálas johtin (h34)

While using the base code works:

Northern Sami (smi) Sami, Northern: Wimme - Agálas johtin (h34)

Can we add the Wakhi language? The ISO code is wbl. There's a song on the Used Songs list which uses the code wbl-PK and has the Pakistani flag, but according to the Wikipedia article:
Wakhi is an Indo-European language in the Eastern Iranian branch of the language family spoken today in Wakhan District, Afghanistan and also in Northern Pakistan, China, and Tajikistan.

So I'm not sure which flag we should use.

Could we add Xaracuu? The ISO code is ane and it's spoken in New Caledonia.

Do you guys think we should create a complex code for the Albanian spoken in Kosovo? There's a song in the Used Songs list which is in Kosovo Albanian, and so far we're using sq, but Kosovo does have its own flag.

Could we add Balochi as its own language? There's a song in the Used Songs list that's in Urdu/Balochi. For now I've used the Urdu code for both.

Ecuadorean Spanish isn't listed in the Languages List. Could we add it with the complex code of EC?

The Languages List shows the English name for Irish as Irish Gaelic; shouldn't this just be Irish?

Should we change the Levantine Arabic flag (code ar-apc) to the general Arabic flag? The current flag is of Syria, even though Levantine Arabic includes Syrian, Jordanian, Palestinian, and Lebanese. We do have a separate Lebanese code/flag, but nothing for Syrian/Jordanian/Palestinian.

There's a song in Gumatj, which is a variety of Dhuwal in the November 2016 FSC, but the flag used is for Ngaanyatjarra, which seems to be a completely different language. Could we add Gumatj as language?
Last edited by dEhiN on 2017-12-02, 13:33, edited 3 times in total.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2017-12-02, 21:40

English name: Chatino
Native name: Cha'cña (?)
Flag: Mexico
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-02, 21:47

dEhiN wrote:There's a song in Gumatj, which is a variety of Dhuwal in the November 2016 FSC, but the flag used is for Ngaanyatjarra, which seems to be a completely different language. Could we add Gumatj as language?

Do you mean the language code that generates the flag? Cause the flag for Ngaanyatjarra should be the same as most/all of the AALs we have listed thus far. That is, the Australian Aboriginal flag.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-12-02, 21:50

księżycowy wrote:
dEhiN wrote:There's a song in Gumatj, which is a variety of Dhuwal in the November 2016 FSC, but the flag used is for Ngaanyatjarra, which seems to be a completely different language. Could we add Gumatj as language?

Do you mean the language code that generates the flag? Cause the flag for Ngaanyatjarra should be the same as most/all of the AALs we have listed thus far. That is, the Australian Aboriginal flag.

Oh ok, I didn't realize it was a general all-purpose one. Then yeah, in that case I guess I mean the language code.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-12-02, 21:54

Yeah, most Aboriginal peoples (if not all) banner under one collective flag. Which is why me and Vijay stopped using flags in the AAL Word Game after a while. :P

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-12-03, 0:07

So dEhiN, has Meera gotten back to you on Pashto yet? :P
dEhiN wrote:Could we create a complex code for São Toméan Portuguese? There are 2 past FSC song nominations that are in São Toméan Portuguese. One of them uses the IEFT (according to English Wikipedia) and/or ISO 639-1 (according to Portuguese Wikipedia) code, while the other uses the flag of Sao Tome and Principe.

I'd recommend using the flag of São Tomé and Príncipe.
I tried to see if there's such a thing as Principean Portuguese

No, São Toméan is the demonym for São Tomé and Príncipe.
Can we add the Wakhi language? The ISO code is wbl. There's a song on the Used Songs list which uses the code wbl-PK and has the Pakistani flag, but according to the Wikipedia article:
Wakhi is an Indo-European language in the Eastern Iranian branch of the language family spoken today in Wakhan District, Afghanistan and also in Northern Pakistan, China, and Tajikistan.

So I'm not sure which flag we should use.

I don't think there is one, sorry. I used the Pakistani one because that song was recorded in Pakistan.
Could we add Xaracuu? The ISO code is ane and it's spoken in New Caledonia.

And I used this flag for it.
Do you guys think we should create a complex code for the Albanian spoken in Kosovo? There's a song in the Used Songs list which is in Kosovo Albanian, and so far we're using sq, but Kosovo does have its own flag.

Maybe we could make one for Gheg and one for Tosk? From Wikipedia:
Gheg (or Geg; Gheg Albanian: gegnisht, Standard Albanian: gegë or gegërishtja) is one of the two major varieties of Albanian. The other is Tosk on which Standard Albanian is based. [...] Gheg is spoken in Northern Albania, Kosovo, northwestern Republic of Macedonia, southeastern Montenegro and southern Serbia[...]

And maybe we could use the flag of Kosovo for Gheg and the flag of Albania for Tosk.
Could we add Balochi as its own language? There's a song in the Used Songs list that's in Urdu/Balochi. For now I've used the Urdu code for both.

Native name: بلوچی‎
ISO code: bal
Flag: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balochist ... n_Flag.png
The Languages List shows the English name for Irish as Irish Gaelic; shouldn't this just be Irish?

Both exist in English, but the Irish themselves call it Irish AFAIK.
Should we change the Levantine Arabic flag (code ar-apc) to the general Arabic flag? The current flag is of Syria, even though Levantine Arabic includes Syrian, Jordanian, Palestinian, and Lebanese. We do have a separate Lebanese code/flag, but nothing for Syrian/Jordanian/Palestinian.

I'm actually puzzled about what the generic flag for Arabic actually is. Isn't it really the Pakistani government's flag for Western Punjab? :?

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-12-03, 0:24

vijayjohn wrote:So dEhiN, has Meera gotten back to you on Pashto yet? :P

No, unfortunately not; she's been very busy with exams and stuff I think. So for now, we could just leave it be.

vijayjohn wrote:I'd recommend using the flag of São Tomé and Príncipe.

Yeah, I was thinking we could add São Toméan Portuguese as a separate variant, along with the ISO 639-1 lang code and the flag of São Tomé and Principe, and then do the same for Angolan Portuguese, since we have songs specifically in those variants.

vijayjohn wrote:I don't think there is one, sorry. I used the Pakistani one because that song was recorded in Pakistan.

That's what I figured. I'm not sure if we should bother creating separate variants of Wakhi, but at the least, we could probably create a lang code for Wakhi and use the Pakistani flag because that's the song we have. If, in the future, someone nominates a song that's specifically in another variant of Wakhi, then we can figure out what to do.

vijayjohn wrote:And I used this flag for it.

Yeah I noticed the flag was for New Caledonia. Although I wasn't sure if the UL database pulls the country flag when the 2 digit country code is appended as part of the complex code, or if you specifically used the ownflag tag, though I don't recall seeing ownflag for that song.

vijayjohn wrote:Maybe we could make one for Gheg and one for Tosk? From Wikipedia:
Gheg (or Geg; Gheg Albanian: gegnisht, Standard Albanian: gegë or gegërishtja) is one of the two major varieties of Albanian. The other is Tosk on which Standard Albanian is based. [...] Gheg is spoken in Northern Albania, Kosovo, northwestern Republic of Macedonia, southeastern Montenegro and southern Serbia[...]

And maybe we could use the flag of Kosovo for Gheg and the flag of Albania for Tosk.

Would it matter that much if we're using only Kosovo's flag while a song in Gheg could potentially be from Northern Albanian or Macedonia or Montenegro? Also, if we are going to split up Albanian into dialects, should we add one for Arbëreshë?

vijayjohn wrote:Native name: بلوچی‎
ISO code: bal
Flag: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balochist ... n_Flag.png

Thanks!

vijayjohn wrote:

Both exist in English, but the Irish themselves call it Irish AFAIK.

Yeah I know both exist in English, and I had a chat with Johanna about this before posting here. Her thinking was that because the Irish themselves call it Irish (unlike Scottish Gaelic, where the Scottish call it Gaelic), the nominated songs should read flag=Irish for the flag mouse-over text and Irish: beside the song title. And if we're doing that, then I figured for uniformity, the Language List should show the same.

vijayjohn wrote:

I'm actually puzzled about what the generic flag for Arabic actually is. Isn't it really the Pakistani government's flag for Western Punjab? :?

Huh, I never bothered to look into what it is, but I think you're right. Do you have any suggestions on what to do though for Levantine Arabic? Maybe we could split all 4 up into their respective variants, complete with correct country flags?

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”