Language List

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

księżycowy
Re: Language List

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-09, 12:49

Car wrote:Yes, they were. The CEFR system is much younger than UniLang, after all.

Huh, I didn't realize the CEFR system was a relatively new thing (at least compared to how long Unilang has been around).

atalarikt

Re: "My languages" options

Postby atalarikt » 2018-03-09, 12:59

księżycowy wrote:English Name: Seediq
Native Name: Taroko
ISO: trv
Flag:

Seediq and Truku/Taroko are still different. Even the Taiwanese government recognizes them as two separate tribes (though the Truku people also speak Seediq). I would suggest Seediq's native name to be Seejiq, according to this page.
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-09, 13:50

atalarikt wrote:
Native Name: Taroko
Flag:

Seediq and Truku/Taroko are still different. Even the Taiwanese government recognizes them as two separate tribes (though the Truku people also speak Seediq). I would suggest Seediq's native name to be Seejiq, according to this page.

I'm perfectly fine with that. I got my information from this wikipedia page anyway: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seediq_language

I just check ethnologue and I think we should just keep the same code.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-03-09, 21:17

Native Name: Taroko Seejiq
Flag:

English Name: Amis
Native Name: Pangcah
ISO: ami
Flag:

Added
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-09, 21:33

Thanks! :)

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-03-10, 2:46

Alright, I'll add more Taiwanese Aboriginal languages as well. (The flag of Taiwan should represent them too)

English Name: Bunun
Native Name: Bunun
ISO: bnn

English Name: Puyuma
Native Name: Pinuyumayan
ISO: pyu

English Name: Rukai
Native Name: Drekay
ISO: dru

English Name: Tsou
Native Name: Cou
ISO: tsu

English Name: Saaroa
Native Name: Hla'alua
ISO: sxr
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-03-10, 6:53

atalarikt wrote:Anyway, congratulations for your new status as a forum administrator!

Thank you! And you too (even though it's not terribly recent) on becoming a language moderator.

księżycowy wrote:
Car wrote:Yes, they were. The CEFR system is much younger than UniLang, after all.

Huh, I didn't realize the CEFR system was a relatively new thing (at least compared to how long Unilang has been around).

According to Wikipedia it was developed between 1986 and 1996, and was recommended for adoption as a system of language validity in 2001. So I suppose it's technically as old or older than UniLang. But I think its popularity, particularly by countries outside of Europe or the EU, came later. Even now though, officially Canada and the USA use another system of validation, although a lot of language schools within Canada and the US probably do use the CEFR system.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-03-10, 12:41

atalarikt wrote:Alright, I'll add more Taiwanese Aboriginal languages as well. (The flag of Taiwan should represent them too)

English Name: Bunun
Native Name: Bunun
ISO: bnn

English Name: Puyuma
Native Name: Pinuyumayan
ISO: pyu

English Name: Rukai
Native Name: Drekay
ISO: dru

English Name: Tsou
Native Name: Cou
ISO: tsu

English Name: Saaroa
Native Name: Hla'alua
ISO: sxr

Added

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-03-25, 16:57

There's an FSC song in Motu that was nominated in November 2017. The flag used was the Papua New Guinea one using the tpi flag code. I'm wondering if it's worth it to request an add for Motu as its own entry in the language list? Some other Austronesian languages from the region that have only been used once for a song nomination already have their own entry, such as Tuamotuan, which is also an Austronesian language though from a different branch. Another factor is that Hiri Motu, which is a simplified version of Motu and an official language of PNG, has its own entry in the language list. What do you guys think?

If we're adding Motu, then here's the info:

English name: Motu
Language name: Motu (?)
ISO code: meu
Flag: PNG flag
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2018-03-26, 2:52

dEhiN wrote:There's an FSC song in Motu that was nominated in November 2017. The flag used was the Papua New Guinea one using the tpi flag code. I'm wondering if it's worth it to request an add for Motu as its own entry in the language list? Some other Austronesian languages from the region that have only been used once for a song nomination already have their own entry, such as Tuamotuan, which is also an Austronesian language though from a different branch. Another factor is that Hiri Motu, which is a simplified version of Motu and an official language of PNG, has its own entry in the language list. What do you guys think?

If we're adding Motu, then here's the info:

English name: Motu
Language name: Motu (?)
ISO code: meu
Flag: PNG flag

Hiri Motu is a pidgin-creole that exists separately from Motu.

I don't see why (paa) cannot do. We have a general Papuan tag for once-in-blue-moon occasions like that.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-26, 4:02

I agree. I don't think the code matters much for the purposes of the FSC either. :hmm:

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-03-26, 13:21

I didn't expect somebody to write a translation in Atayal (I found it here). So why not add it as well?

English name: Atayal
Native name: Tayal
ISO code: tay
Flag: The flag of Taiwan

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-03-26, 13:35

I don't understand... should I add Motu or not? :hmm:

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-26, 13:40

I think the consensus so far is no, don't add it.

And I agree.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-26, 13:45

atalarikt wrote:I didn't expect somebody to write a translation in Atayal (I found it here). So why not add it as well?

English name: Atayal
Native name: Tayal
ISO code: tay
Flag: The flag of Taiwan

My question here is, is it worth adding it just for this one occurance? If there was so.e interest for the language and it showed up in more than just a random translation thread, I'd jump on board.

We added the two Taiwanese Aboriginal languages under the condition that there was interest among a few users (myself included). I think that's a good way to go about adding languages to the list.

If you (or anyone else) are interested in it, and intend to start contributing to a thread dedicated to the language we can easily add it.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade. :)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-26, 14:16

In fact, wouldn't we just use the Taiwanese flag for these languages anyway? So I think it would work more or less the same way as for the languages of Papua New Guinea.

And then nothing would need to be added.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-26, 14:19

Yes, we're using the Taiwanese flag atm, as there is no good alternative. So you're on the money in my opinion.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-03-26, 22:19

So... that means Atayal also shouldn't be added?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-03-26, 22:21

Luís wrote:So... that means Atayal also shouldn't be added?

Correct (at least as far as I'm concerned. This is also how I interpret what księżycowy was saying). I see no need to add Atayal.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-26, 22:26

At least not until someone starts contributing more Atayal stuffs to the forum consistently.

Or starts learning it.

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”