Language List

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

linguoboy
Re: "My languages" options

Postby linguoboy » 2018-02-08, 20:42

Luís wrote:
linguoboy wrote:Any particular reason why we don't have an entry for Southern Kurdish, a.k.a. Palewani?

Because languages are added by request and probably no one has ever asked for it to be included

That was one possibility that occurred to me. The other was (viz. Vijay's response) that a principled decision had been made to lump Palewani together with Sorani, which I believe there's a defensible case for doing.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-02-08, 20:55

Luís wrote:Fixed

Thank you!
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-09, 0:53

I must have missed where you added the Tibetan languages. Thanks Luís!

I did notice a tiny error for Classical Tibetan though. Some how an f got into the English name.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-02-09, 19:27

Karavinka wrote:And while at it, it'd look nicer if Egyptian was just "Ancient Egyptian" rather than "Egyptian, ancient" with the awkward smallcase.

Changed

voron wrote:
Luís wrote:Can I use something like Kurdî / کوردی‬ as the native name for Kurdish, the macrolanguage? (both Kurmanji and Sorani are listed under it)

Yes, it's fine.

Fixed

księżycowy wrote:I did notice a tiny error for Classical Tibetan though. Some how an f got into the English name.

Fixed
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-09, 19:36

Thanks, Luís!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-10, 22:32

księżycowy wrote:I did notice a tiny error for Classical Tibetan though. Some how an f got into the English name.

Cfassical Tibetan? Classical Tibeftan? :P

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-02-10, 23:00

Why is Khoisan in the list? It is a language family, not a language.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-10, 23:10

vijayjohn wrote:Cfassical Tibetan? Classical Tibeftan? :P

I think it was either Classifcal Tibetan or Classicfal Tibetan. I can't remember clearly, but I seem to remember it around the second c. :P

הענט

Postby הענט » 2018-02-11, 18:53

Flag of south vietnam

Vietnamese (Southern)
Tiếng Việt (Giọng Miền Nam)

Thank you

Karavinka

Postby Karavinka » 2018-02-11, 19:31

Hent wrote:Flag of south vietnam

Vietnamese (Southern)

Thank you

I am not sure if this will be politically sensitive or not to use the flag of South Vietnam. I know many overseas Vietnamese use it, but this might need a native (or someone close) input.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-11, 19:41

I'm not sure it's necessary to add in the first place, but I think a native's input would be helpful.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2018-02-11, 19:45

Karavinka wrote:
Hent wrote:Flag of south vietnam

Vietnamese (Southern)

Thank you

I am not sure if this will be politically sensitive or not to use the flag of South Vietnam. I know many overseas Vietnamese use it, but this might need a native (or someone close) input.

Yes. I had the overseas Vietnamese in mind, because they use the flag and most of them speak SV. I don't mind if the Commie flag is used instead, but howisit different to say the Palestinian flag? Sure South Vietnam no longer exists but neither does Ancient Greece or Persia.

And I have a friend from Kosovo but that flag is also not politically sensitive. I am still glad it is here to distinguish the dialects.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-12, 5:12

Hent wrote:I don't mind if the Commie flag is used instead, but howisit different to say the Palestinian flag?

:hmm:

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-02-14, 12:17

I want to see Old Malay added.
Native name: Malayu Kuna
Language code: ISO 639-3:(none), Glottolog: oldm1243
Flag: Image (based on the Srivijaya Kingdom flag, from which the oldest surviving Old Malay inscription (Kedukan Bukit) was found)
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2018-02-14, 21:36

księżycowy wrote:I'm not sure it's necessary to add in the first place, but I think a native's input would be helpful.

There's no "correct" answer to this flag question. Different people coming from different backgrounds think differently about it, whether you poll the ones from Vietnam or the ones overseas. Both the regime sympathisers and the anti-regime objectors think their choice of flag is the only legitimate, and start flinging the lowest of insults at the other side the moment they come into contact on the Internet.

Personally I don't associate my native language with any flag at all, but maybe you can try to simultaneously appease and spite both groups by going with a half-and-half vertical composite flag, I don't know. When it comes to representing Vietnamese people/culture/language, it's best to stay away from this issue and only use some imagery that both sides can agree on (the "Viet bird" on a bronze drum, lotus flower, farmers wearing conical hats working on a rice field, water buffalo with boy riding it, some famous Vietnamese painting, or whathaveyou). Probably too much nuance for a forum like this though.
Last edited by Tenebrarum on 2018-02-14, 21:42, edited 1 time in total.
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-14, 21:42

Actually, for my part in the conversation, I was questioning if it was necessary on a linguistic level to differentiate the dialects or not.

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2018-02-14, 21:46

księżycowy wrote:Actually, for my part in the conversation, I was questioning if it was necessary on a linguistic level to differentiate the dialects or not.

They're as different as Quebecois French and Parisian French, or Brazilian Portuguese and Portugal Portuguese. There's no mistaking one for another.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-02-14, 21:47

Tenebrarum wrote:farmers wearing conical hats working on a rice field, water buffalo with boy riding it

IFBIT.

The only thing worse than using flags to represent languages is using figures wearing "native dress" to represent peoples. I am sick to death of being equated with some dumb cowboy.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-02-14, 21:49

So then following off that, the only question is, should we follow Karavinka's "rule" or split it into dialects, or what?

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2018-02-14, 22:02

That said, there's one flag which tends to get displayed whenever Vietnamese people have a big cultural festival. This one:

cờ ngũ sắc - the "five colour flag", supposed to represent the five classical elements of Chinese / East Asian alchemy. I don't know how far back its history goes, but it's definitely a thing for as long as I can remember.

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”