Language List

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: "My languages" options

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-11-20, 8:09

I'm not sure anyone is going to add any of those, but IIUC, this stuff is now stored in a git repository, where I guess you could try to implement these changes.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2016-12-09, 22:10

If there is Belarusian taraškievica, there should be Ukrainian skrypnykivka too.

By the way, Belarusian should be "беларуская", not "беларускі".
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2016-12-10, 19:37

East and North Greenlandic as separate languages.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-01-26, 19:01

Has anyone else noticed that a few of the languages on the language list don't show text after you've added them? For example, I notice that neither Old or Middle English show up correctly on anyone's profile page. They appear fine in the UCP, but only show up as a flag with no text on the profile page. :?

I open this to the floor because, as I've said in the past, I'm not a programmer of any kind, and would not begin to know how to fix this in the repository.
Last edited by księżycowy on 2017-01-26, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.

PfifltriggPi

Postby PfifltriggPi » 2017-01-26, 23:16

księżycowy wrote:Has anyone else noticed that a few of the languages on the language list don't show text after you've added them? For example, I notice that neither Old or Middle English show up correctly on anyone's profile page. They appear find in the UCP, but only show up as a flag with no text on the profile page. :?

I open this to the floor because, as I've said in the past, I'm not a programmer of any kind, and would not begin to know how to fix this in the repository.

Yes, I have noticed this. Old French and Old Spanish do the same thing for me too.
Last edited by PfifltriggPi on 2017-02-05, 22:11, edited 2 times in total.
« Labor omnia vincit! » - P. Vergilius Maro

callum

Postby callum » 2017-01-28, 14:38

Are these language requests still being "maintained"? I don't know how things work around here

Irusia wrote:East and North Greenlandic as separate languages.

I'd like to see these added too. :)

Also, Siberian Tatar - it even has its own flag. :mrgreen:
[ownflag=]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/96/Siberian_Tatar_Flag.svg[/ownflag] Siberian Tatar - Сыбыр тел (STY)

There's currently "Yup'ik", so I reckon Siberian Yupik should be added as well. :) It's spoken both in Chukotka and on St. Lawrence Island, but maybe the Chukotka flag should be used as there are more speakers there than on St. Lawrence, and it would help "distinguish" it from Alaskan Yup'ik.
[ownflag=]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a0/Flag_of_Chukotka.svg/115px-Flag_of_Chukotka.svg.png[/ownflag] Siberian Yupik (ESS)

I'd also like to see Sirenik added - it's extinct, but there's at least one book floating around about it, so it's not 100% unlearnable. (Only about 99%?) :mrgreen: As it was spoken in Chukotka, it could use the same flag as Chukchi.
[ownflag=]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a0/Flag_of_Chukotka.svg/115px-Flag_of_Chukotka.svg.png[/ownflag] Sirenik - Сиӷы́ных (YSR)

Maybe (Kolyma) Yukaghir - again, there aren't many resources available but you can still learn a tiny bit. Most speakers seem to live in the Sakha Republic, so I guess that flag would make the most sense to use.
[ownflag=]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/eb/Flag_of_Sakha.svg/115px-Flag_of_Sakha.svg.png[/ownflag] Yukaghir (YUX)

And, finally, it would be nice to see Xibe. I'd have assumed it would use the Chinese flag, but Manchu (which is very closely related and pretty mutually intelligible with Xibe) uses this flag: [flag=]mnc[/flag]. :? (As text in the Manchu and Mongolian alphabets is displayed horizonally online, it would probably be easier to do the same with Xibe as with Manchu, and write out the native name in Latin.)
[flag=]zh[/flag]/[flag=]mnc[/flag] Xibe - sibe gisun / ᠰᡞᠪᡝ ᡤᡞᠰᡠᠨ (SJO)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-01-28, 16:02

callum wrote:Are these language requests still being "maintained"? I don't know how things work around here

Not really. There's a git repository where it might be possible (for anyone interested in working with it) to add more languages to the list, but before it was formed, they were actually trying to get rid of languages on the list because it was getting too big to store IIRC.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-02-05, 18:14

Since there has been concern over maintaining and expanding this language list, I wonder if we might think of some alternative ideas for listing our languages and proficiency in them.

I was just thinking today it might be nice to just have a form of sorts in which you can add the information manually yourself. I know people tend to ask all the time for languages to be added or changed all the time. (Well, they were doing it quite frequently anyway.) Not to mention some of the list is broken anyway (both functionally, and also some languages on it).

For example, we could have something where you can have boxes for:
Language Name (in English), the Native name (if they wanted to use it), their proficiency, and maybe a fourth box for notes or whatever.

I know part of the reason we had the list was to help people search for other users that spoke/were learning said language, but that function seems to be unusable ATM, and I'm not sure it will be again.

IDK, what do you guys think?

PfifltriggPi

Postby PfifltriggPi » 2017-02-05, 22:14

księżycowy wrote:Since there has been concern over maintaining and expanding this language list, I wonder if we might think of some alternative ideas for listing our languages and proficiency in them.

I was just thinking today it might be nice to just have a form of sorts in which you can add the information manually yourself. I know people tend to ask all the time for languages to be added or changed all the time. (Well, they were doing it quite frequently anyway.) Not to mention some of the list is broken anyway (both functionally, and also some languages on it).

Language Name (in English), the Native name (if they wanted to use it), their proficiency, and maybe a fourth box for notes or whatever.

I know part of the reason we had the list was to help people search for other users that spoke/were learning said language, but that function seems to be unusable ATM, and I'm not sure it will be again.

I really like this idea. I am quite sure I would use it a good amount. (Read: would obsessively add every language known to man and then some.) I think, however, that we should probably have a way to discuss details, such as what flag to use, and languages should get approved before they are added.
« Labor omnia vincit! » - P. Vergilius Maro

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-02-06, 0:45

I think this idea just requires someone to create a way to go from a page that everyone can edit (I'm assuming here that you mean without knowing how to program, księżycowy :)) to updates to the git repository.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-02-06, 10:21

I wasn't even taking the flags into consideration. :P I suppose some like them though.

And Vijay, I'm advocating a page (or section) that we all can just edit from our UCPs that would show up on our profiles and basically doing away with the list.

Not that I mind if it stays. I'm just thinking out loud. So to speak.

germantiger

Postby germantiger » 2017-04-16, 10:05

I was wondering if Alsatian could be added to the list? Someone asked about it in 2013 in this thread but no one responded. As a flag, the regional flag of Alsace could used. Thoughts?
Native: (en -US) (de) (Fränggisch)
Advancedish: (fr) (lu)
Intermediate: (es) (it)
Learning: (ru) (pl)
Corrections welcomed!

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2017-04-16, 10:08

germantiger wrote:I was wondering if Alsatian could be added to the list? Someone asked about it in 2013 in this thread but no one responded. As a flag, the regional flag of Alsace could used. Thoughts?

AFAIK, they decided to stop adding languages a few years ago.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-04-16, 12:09

IpseDixit wrote:
germantiger wrote:I was wondering if Alsatian could be added to the list? Someone asked about it in 2013 in this thread but no one responded. As a flag, the regional flag of Alsace could used. Thoughts?

AFAIK, they decided to stop adding languages a few years ago.

But also there's a git repository where this should still be possible for any users who know how to use git.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-04-16, 12:13

vijayjohn wrote:who know how to use git.

Which is part of the problem.

I'm not necessarily saying it's hard to modify things in the git repository, but it's not something most users would know how to do with out at least a little knowledge.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-04-16, 12:14

Right, which IIUC is why you had proposed doing away with the list and having a page we could all edit more easily.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-04-16, 12:17

Indeed. At the very least, I was hoping it would spark a conversation, but none really developed. Oh well.

iamblu

Postby iamblu » 2017-04-28, 2:58

księżycowy wrote:Since there has been concern over maintaining and expanding this language list, I wonder if we might think of some alternative ideas for listing our languages and proficiency in them.

When I saw languahe lost I first thought it was more to what you described.

May it's possible to create index lists, e.g., when someone search for "Romanian", search engine would understamd he/she means "Moldovan" too. If perhaps there is interest to keep this function.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-04-28, 9:50

There certainly is the potential to have the search function fixed. As well as the issues with the list it self. The problem is, we'd need a developer to actually do it. Sure, it's in the git hub, but if anything, things are moving slower than they did before the move. It seems like we're relying on other developers just happening to fix things for us or something.

I admit I don't understand how this works, but that's at least how it seems.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-06-20, 9:40

I want Bavarian on the list.

Also I kinda miss the option when you clicked on the flag and saw all the users speaking or learning it.

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”