Language List

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Apedemech
Re: Language List

Postby Apedemech » 2022-03-22, 10:09

Name: Cumbric
ISO: xcb

Name: Angloromani
Native Name: Pogadi Chib
Flag: Same as Romani? (rom)
ISO: rme

Name: Welsh Romani
Native Name: Welsh Kalá
Flag: Same as Romani? (rom)
ISO: rnw

Name: Norn
Native Name: Norn
Flag: Orkney or Shetland Flag https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_O ... Orkney.svg
ISO: nrn

Name: Guernésiais, Jèrriais
Flag: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey#/m ... Jersey.svg
ISO: nrf

Name: Talossan
Flag: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talossa#/ ... nguage.svg
ISO: tzl

Name: Brithenig
ISO: bzt

Name: Interlingue
Other Name: Occidental
Flag: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interling ... e_yelb.svg
ISO: ile

Name: Interglossa
ISO: igs

Name: Romanova
ISO: rmv

Name: Neo
ISO: neu
Last edited by Apedemech on 2022-03-25, 17:29, edited 4 times in total.

AncientGrammarian

Postby AncientGrammarian » 2022-03-22, 11:05

(Oh no, I hope my request for Classic Maya doesn't get ignored due to being in the last page...)

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-03-22, 13:30

AncientGrammarian wrote:(Oh no, I hope my request for Classic Maya doesn't get ignored due to being in the last page...)

It shouldn't, although I don't know who is able to add these flags, so I can't help with actually getting it added. I agree it would be nice to have Classic Maya listed.

AncientGrammarian wrote:Name: Classic Maya
Native name: Ch'olti' tziij
Flag: (myn)
ISO: emy

However, for reasons I don't understand, UniLang's official Language List uses "myn-" plus the official ISO code in capital letters for all Mayan languages, for example myn-YUA for Yucatec Maya. To keep it in line with the other Mayan languages, the Classic Maya code would be "myn-EMY".

As I understand it, that was done with some languages because the code "myn" generates the flag icon and adding the next three letters doesn't actually do anything other than identify the specific variety for users. What I mean by that is you could actually start using the "myn-EMY" code yourself, for example:
(myn-EMY)
and it would work just fine. This works in the forums, but not in places like the list of languages on your profile.

This code:

Code: Select all

[flag]myn-EMY[/flag]

generates this:
(myn-EMY)

If you want it to identify it as Classic Maya when you hover over it (which used to work with all of the flags but no longer does), then you do it like this:

Code: Select all

[flag=Classic Maya]myn-EMY[/flag]

to generate this:
Classic Maya (myn-EMY)

And this can be done with no changes being made by the forum administrators, but again, it only works in the forums, not in profiles. And it only works because the "myn" code already exists and you are just adding three letters after it, so this strategy doesn't work with new languages that don't already have flags on here (such as most of the other languages suggested in the previous posts).

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-04-15, 17:43

There are quite a few languages in the Language List for which the flags appear to be "broken". I noticed this when I tried to put in the flag code for Aramaic:
(arc)

In the language list, it appears as a white box with a gray question mark inside, instead of a flag.
There are multiple languages that have this symbol in place of flags:

xsa Ancient South Arabian
arc Aramaic
arw Arawak
bue Beothuk
bph Botlikh
elx Elamite
ett Etruscan
khi Khoisan
kwk Kwak'wala
ruq Megleno-Romanian
blc Nuxálk
sog Sogdian
ckb Sorani
uby Ubykh
uga Ugaritic

I don't know how long they have been like that or even which flags they should use. Many of these, if not all, are languages for which it may be difficult to find an agreed-upon flag image. So maybe they are meant to have the white box with a question mark in place of a flag, but as of right now, even that does not work; instead the code produces a broken-image symbol, with the language code in parenthesis after it.

(xsa)
(arc)
(arw)
(bue)
etc.

Apedemech

Postby Apedemech » 2022-04-16, 15:10

Another unusual thing is that Kusunda is on the list of languages in the resource archive but not on the forum or the language list... :hmm:

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2022-04-16, 21:18

Linguaphile wrote:There are quite a few languages in the Language List for which the flags appear to be "broken".

That would probably be a server thing, for which proycon would have to fix. Most likely, when the BB code for using flags was changed, the location on the server where the flag images are located was too, but not all were moved over. Additionally to the above issue is that all the flags - broken images or not - link to a 404 Not Found page, namely http://forum.unilang.org/langicon.php?lang=<lang-code>. I remember with the old BB code way of adding flags, the link used to actually be to the Wikipedia page for the specific language.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-04-16, 22:07

dEhiN wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:There are quite a few languages in the Language List for which the flags appear to be "broken".

That would probably be a server thing, for which proycon would have to fix. Most likely, when the BB code for using flags was changed, the location on the server where the flag images are located was too, but not all were moved over. Additionally to the above issue is that all the flags - broken images or not - link to a 404 Not Found page, namely http://forum.unilang.org/langicon.php?lang=<lang-code>. I remember with the old BB code way of adding flags, the link used to actually be to the Wikipedia page for the specific language.

Yes, I remember that too! Good point. Now you can see the code, but no way to know what the code means unless you look it up.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2022-04-16, 22:11

Linguaphile wrote:Yes, I remember that too! Good point. Now you can see the code, but no way to know what the code means unless you look it up.

Or, write a description, which for web devs is considered good accessibility practice, to write an alternate text that a screen reader could read in place of pictures. But, this is a forum of course, so it's not something everyone will necessarily do. Though, I suppose, because we don't know how many potentially active but silent, or partially active (that is, active only in one language-specific board), members we have who use screen readers, including alternate text whenever we use a flag would be a good practice to develop.
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-04-16, 22:16

dEhiN wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:Yes, I remember that too! Good point. Now you can see the code, but no way to know what the code means unless you look it up.

Or, write a description, which for web devs is considered good accessibility practice, to write an alternate text that a screen reader could read in place of pictures. But, this is a forum of course, so it's not something everyone will necessarily do. Though, I suppose, because we don't know how many potentially active but silent, or partially active (that is, active only in one language-specific board), members we have who use screen readers, including alternate text whenever we use a flag would be a good practice to develop.

Yes, that's true. I think I've seen that in the very old posts, where the flags no longer function, there is alternate text. It would be nice if it were added automatically when a flag were added. But adding it with the "flag=" tag is a good habit to get into. I used to do that, but for some reason I've gotten lazy about it lately.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2022-04-16, 23:02

Linguaphile wrote:But adding it with the "flag=" tag is a good habit to get into. I used to do that, but for some reason I've gotten lazy about it lately.

Yeah, me too. It's a shame in a way that the BB code update to use just the [flag]...[/flag]* tag instead of the [flag=(...)]...[/flag]* tag.

*Omg, that was SO hard to write!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-04-16, 23:03

Wait, what? Maybe I didn't read the discussion carefully enough, but we have both [flag][/flag] and [flag=][/flag].

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2022-04-16, 23:14

vijayjohn wrote:Wait, what? Maybe I didn't read the discussion carefully enough, but we have both [flag][/flag] and [flag=][/flag].

No, I most likely just confused things. So what did we have before? I feel like, prior to the code change, you had to write a meaningful description. Maybe before, it was just switched and you put the language code inside the opening tag, so flag=fr for example, and then a description in between the opening and closing tags, so French for example? Whereas now, you put the code in between the tags and optionally a description in the first tag?

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-04-16, 23:18

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Wait, what? Maybe I didn't read the discussion carefully enough, but we have both [flag][/flag] and [flag=][/flag].

No, I most likely just confused things. So what did we have before? I feel like, prior to the code change, you had to write a meaningful description. Maybe before, it was just switched and you put the language code inside the opening tag, so flag=fr for example, and then a description in between the opening and closing tags, so French for example? Whereas now, you put the code in between the tags and optionally a description in the first tag?

Yeah, it was definitely different before, and it must have made it easier (or at least more mandatory) to have a description. The flag= code exists now, but mostly I put a description when I'm using a flag that is used for multiple languages, or using an ownflag= code (which I don't do as often now because the languages I tend to post in now have their own flags already).

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-04-16, 23:21

dEhiN wrote:So what did we have before? I feel like, prior to the code change, you had to write a meaningful description. Maybe before, it was just switched and you put the language code inside the opening tag, so flag=fr for example, and then a description in between the opening and closing tags, so French for example? Whereas now, you put the code in between the tags and optionally a description in the first tag?

I think it was just [flag][/flag], but if you wanted, you could manually type in "=..."

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2022-04-16, 23:36

Isn't that the same as before? If you take a look at this thread, it's the same code as what we would use now. So, why don't the flags show up for that thread?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-04-16, 23:38

Well, now, when we add flags, we have to select either "flag" or "flag=" and if you select "flag," you can't add in the "=."

Before, I think we had only "flag" as an option, but even if we selected that, we could still add in the "=."

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2022-04-16, 23:46

vijayjohn wrote:Well, now, when we add flags, we have to select either "flag" or "flag=" and if you select "flag," you can't add in the "=."

Before, I think we had only "flag" as an option, but even if we selected that, we could still add in the "=."

Right, but behind the scenes there must be another difference. If you copy one of the flag tags with code and paste it into a reply, it will show up (provided the language code is the same as what's used now). So, in theory, at least some of the flag tags/codes used in the older threads pre-move should show up.

Oh also, that's not true - your first statement. All the buttons above the editor are just quick access buttons so you don't have to memorize any BB code tags. But if you select "flag" and want to add the "=", you can just edit your post and add the "="; you just need to do it in the correct way, which is inside the first tag.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-04-16, 23:48

Oh, I think maybe one of the differences was that you had to include the language name in quotes...
Like [flag="French"]fr[/flag] (which of course doesn't work now).

Apedemech

Postby Apedemech » 2022-04-26, 10:41

Hello, I'm a bit new here... Is it possible to add?

Name: Shelta
Native Name: De Gammon
Flag: Same as Irish? (ga)
ISO: sth

Name: Scottish Traveller
Native Name: Scottish Cant
Flag: Same as Scots? (sco)
ISO: trl

Name: Tocharian A
Other Name: Agnean
ISO: xto

Name: Tocharian B
Other Name: Kuchean
ISO: txb

Name: Norn
Native Name: Norn
Flag: Orkney or Shetland Flag https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_O ... Orkney.svg
ISO: nrn

Name: Jèrriais, Guernésiais
Flag: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey#/m ... Jersey.svg
ISO: nrf

Name: Kotava
Flag: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kotava#/m ... Kotava.svg
ISO: avk

Name: Láadan
ISO: ldn
Last edited by Apedemech on 2022-05-14, 16:05, edited 156 times in total.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2022-04-27, 2:48

Apedemech wrote:Hello, I'm a bit new here... Is it possible to add?

Hey, welcome! It's certainly possible and I imagine all your requests will eventually be worked on. However, please be patient - I believe currently the majority of the forum administrators don't deal with the backend code for this forum, so unfortunately we need to wait until one of the admins who can work on the code is able to do so.

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”