[u][b]Translating resources[/b][/u]

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Starian
[u][b]Translating resources[/b][/u]

Postby Starian » 2003-05-19, 23:17

Do we, users and members of unilang, need some translations of the resources available here?... Post your opinion
http://enfantdeboheme.tumblr.com/

Art will save the world!

Starian

Intro

Postby Starian » 2003-05-19, 23:57

Ohh... Hi there guys!.

Let me introduce myself. I am a new user/member of Unilang. I've been looking through it and I find it a really amazing Place for us languages learners/lovers.

I am From Venezuela, The northern-most country from South America. I am 16 years old and, as you might have guessed: I LOVE LANGUAGES.

I'm trying to learn french now, and I am using the french course unilang provides (Thanks to Saaropean). And what I am doing is writing it all in a note book, but, in my main tongue: Spanish. I don't think I need to, but It helps me to improve my english, and my translating skills. While doing that (studying french), a thought came to my mind. Wouldn't it be easier for some users/members of unilang, if there could be courses in their own language?, not just english. I think it might be a good idea. And I am willing to translate them (to spanish, of course)...

I have to go now... But I'll finnish this soon!.

Art will save the world!

Psi-Lord

Re: Intro

Postby Psi-Lord » 2003-05-20, 2:48

Starian wrote:I am From Venezuela, The northern-most country from South America.

Hurray! One more South American around. :) Welcome, Starian!
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

Saaropean

Re: Intro

Postby Saaropean » 2003-05-20, 8:35

Welcome to UniLang, Starian! :)

Starian wrote:I'm trying to learn french now, and I am using the french course unilang provides (Thanks to Saaropean).

Thanks to who? Proycon wrote the basic French course.
But unfortunately there are still a few errors inside...

Starian wrote:Wouldn't it be easier for some users/members of unilang, if there could be courses in their own language?, not just english. I think it might be a good idea. And I am willing to translate them (to spanish, of course)...

Well, it could certainly enrich our resources, but it would be a lot of work to translate/rewrite the courses, and we should make sure that every course exists at least in English.
And which languages do we need? Imagine a Serbian who is fluent in Albanian, so s/he writes an Albanian course in Serbian. That's great, but how many other UniLangers speak Serbian?
On the other hand, such courses could allow people two practice two foreign languages at the same time...
And another issue: You can't just translate the courses, because they have different requirements. A French course for an Spanish speakers can go much further than a French course for English speakers, because the two Romance languages share more grammatical features.

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2003-05-20, 15:56

Hello, Starian, and welcome! As Psi-Lord said, nice to have one more south american! (I am brazilian).

I support your idea, I have even suggested it before. We only need volunteers.

The right word is not "translate", we'd be rather adapting. Making a language course is not that hards, adapting it into another language is even easier, you just have to make some changes according to the grammar of the new language, but nothing really hard. But as I said, we need volunteers willing to do this...I myself could adapt lots of materials into Portuguese, but I'm already involved in other language course projects in English...
Learning Georgian, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Papiamentu from scratch. Trying to brush up my Norwegian up to an advanced level.

Starian

Thank you guys

Postby Starian » 2003-05-22, 0:27

Hi there guys!!!... Thaaaaaaanx for replying me back!!!

I'm so excited!!!! Yippie!!!... I'm so proud about being a member of this organization!... I looooove you all !!!! ;)

Psi-Lord : Isn't it cool Psi?... Long live south america!!!... And the rest of the world too... Wow!!! Yippie!!! hehehe... Thanx for the welcoming.

Saaropean: 1.- Ohh I'm so sorry, I apologize for my confusion. And of course thank Mr. Proycon because of such a good and simple french course, even with the erros that, so did I, noticed.

2.- I agree completely with you mister. Even though I think that besides of all that, a resource is still a resource, and it is definitively going to help someone at least (more on that on the next answer mister)

Expugnator: Hi there buddy!!!... This is becoming everyday more world wide!!! Cool!!!... And I find it nice to have latinamericans pal here too!!!... I completely agree with what you said, ADAPT is the word!!!... I noticed that while studying french here at unilang, because I'm used to the noun gender and other stuff that french and spanish (and italian, catalan, rumanian, galician and portuguesse) share... So i kinda Re-writed the course in my note-book, adapting it to my own (as a native spanish speaker) needs... And about volunteers... Well as I said before... Count on me!!!

-.-.-.-.-.-.-

Also, I have some projects on my mind... But i'm going to talk about them later guys!. Again thanks for writing and welcoming me this way!!! Thaaaaaaaanx!

Art will save the world!

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2003-05-29, 15:47

Hi Starian!

Thanks! (And sorry for the late reply). I've sent you a private message (using the private message system at the forum) about this topic.
Learning Georgian, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Papiamentu from scratch. Trying to brush up my Norwegian up to an advanced level.

Saaropean

So when are we going to start?

Postby Saaropean » 2003-06-02, 9:13

Now we should think about which translations are needed most urgently. We already have basic courses for Dutch, Esperanto, French, Gaelic (in EN and FR), German, Portuguese, Latin, Russian, Spanish, Thai and Turkish.

According to the member statistics, the most wanted languages are French, Spanish, German, Italian and Russian.

Courses for speakers of related languages can be quite useful. So we could adapt the courses for French, Portuguese and Spanish to other Romance languages. A Dutch course in German would also be a good idea, because the languages are closely related and Dutch grammar is easier than German. But of course anything else is possible, too...

So what do we need most urgently? What are the adaptions/translations you would like to have? What could other people (who are not yet members of UniLang) benefit from?

I think we should also write English courses in various languages. If one person starts (like a basic 5-lesson course), all others can translate/adapt that...

leppie

Postby leppie » 2003-06-02, 13:17

I can help for italian, both for translations of already written course, and also
for italian tutorial.
If someone is interested, I could also write a few lessons about arabic
Se il drago rifiuta di combattere,
forse è solo pigro.
Ma se ignora la zanzara,
allora è davvero addormentato.

Starian

Let's work pals!

Postby Starian » 2003-06-07, 0:15

Hi thanks for replying!

Ok Mr Saaropean. I already began adapting the FRENCH course into spanish, which is my mother tongue. I think that it should be adapted into all the other romances languages out there. It's a pretty popular language nowadays.

Ohh another thing Mr. I have some knowledge of korean, and I think I am able to do a KOREAN basic course, and a KOREAN SCRIPT and ROMANIZATION course, which I think I'm really good at. Ohh and also a PRONUNCIATION guide. So, I want to know...What to do. I mean, Ii don't know if I have to ask for a special permission?, or if you have to make me a test or something?, or If i should ask you? (which I'm actually doing), or if there's enough people who want it? or whatever...

I hope you can asnwer soon Mr Saaropean and clear my doubts.

Llet's keep the good job guys!!!

Take care! Bye!

(Ohh and lets fullfil Unilang with lots of resources, articles, courses, stuffffff!!!!)

Art will save the world!

ekalin

Postby ekalin » 2003-06-07, 1:29

If you want to add some information about Korean, go ahead and write it. No need to ask for permission. Then you can send it to proycon and he can put it online.

I'd recommend, though, that you use the UniLang Wiki to add what you want. It's just a matter of typing it and pressing "Save". :-)
This gubblick contains many nosklarkish English flutzpahs, but the overall pluggandisp can be glorked from context. – David Moser

Saaropean

Re: Let's work pals!

Postby Saaropean » 2003-06-07, 7:40

Starian wrote:Ok Mr Saaropean.

Proycon, if you're reading this: Add an article to the bylaws stating that UniLang members shall not use formal addresses like "Mr" when talking to each other! :lol:

Starian wrote:I already began adapting the FRENCH course into spanish, which is my mother tongue.

Great. :D

Starian wrote:I think that it should be adapted into all the other romances languages out there. It's a pretty popular language nowadays.

Yes! :)

ekalin wrote:If you want to add some information about Korean, go ahead and write it. No need to ask for permission. Then you can send it to proycon and he can put it online.

Exactly! Just send it to info@unilang.org and it will be uploaded to the UniLang server.

Starian wrote:Ohh and lets fullfil Unilang with lots of resources, articles, courses, stuffffff!!!!

You really got the UniLang spirit. 8)

ekalin wrote:I'd recommend, though, that you use the UniLang Wiki to add what you want. It's just a matter of typing it and pressing "Save". :-)

Another excellent suggestion. :mrgreen:
But a course should still be on the site, not in the wiki.

Starian

Yessssa!

Postby Starian » 2003-06-08, 16:49

Thanks for answering quickly Mr. Saaropean!!!... Ohh sorry!, my apologies!, I should call you Saaropean (Plain and simple!)... Hehehehe. Sorry if I annoyed you Saaropean while calling you Mr. It's just that you mmm... represent, so much!... And inspire so much respect... (Like everyone else in this wonderful place called UNILANG!!! -Yippie!-) And also, I'm a teen, and in Venezuela, and most of the native spanish speakers countries, we use the formal polite and informal polite thingy, hehehe... And I just HAD to be polite with you (Usted! :-P) and the only way i found in english to do it, was calling you (Usted again) Mister. But I'm sorry... We all are a family, don't we? So now that you mentioned it, I will call you Saaropean.. Simple!... Hehehe... (Sorry I write so much stuff, stupid teenagers things mostly... sorry :oops: )

Now. Serious stuff. Thanks for the advice ekalin, I have thought about the Wiki a lot. Actually I made the link to the korean language there, though i haven't got the time to add any info in it. Now that we talk about the Wiki, I think I'm going to add new stuff really soon... You guys will see!!! hehehe :)

As soon as I get the FRENCH course finished, I will send it. And the same thing with the KOREAN one. I hope it will be useful to someone.

Gosh!!!... I'm so happy!. Unilang is getting bigger and better each day more!. In 4 days we got 2 new courses!!! Portuguese and Hindi, Yippie!!!... Let's keep the good work guys!.

Have a nice day and take care all of you guys... Thanks for your advices and stuff!... See ya soon! Bye!

Art will save the world!

Starian

Korean

Postby Starian » 2003-06-22, 23:41

Hey guys!!! I made a Korean script & Romanization (also quick pronunciation guide) explanation. I sent it yesterday. I hope you find it useful. I also hope it will get posted!!!... Because mmm... well I have never sent anything until now, and I'm wondering if "they2 didn't like my work, or they just haven't checked up... Anyway. Bye take care.

Art will save the world!

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”