Missing old features

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Liisi
Missing old features

Postby Liisi » 2022-05-12, 20:24

Visiting this forum again after 15 years of inactivity brought back some memories and a couple of questions.

I found an old thread of our 2006 meetup in Helsinki. I took pics at the meetup and posted in the thread, and mentioned posting them "in the gallery too". Now I have no recollection of said "gallery" but it sounds like it was on the Unilang website, if not part of the forum. I wonder if it still exists, I couldn't find it? The pics in the thread are broken, would've loved to see.

Another memory from the mid 00s is the Unilang irc chat! Besides the general channel, I remember Sauna for Finnish practice and Russian Cafe for Russian practice. It was a lot of fun, but probably doesn't exist anymore and in that case I suppose we don't have enough people for it now?
I appreciate corrections to my mistakes in any language.

Car
Forum Administrator

Re: Missing old features

Postby Car » 2022-05-13, 9:51

Now that you mention it, I think I vaguely remember a gallery, but not as part of the forum. No idea when we got rid of it, though.
There are some other places where people communicate, e.g. on Discord.
Please correct my mistakes!

Liisi

Postby Liisi » 2022-05-13, 12:53

We probably didn't use the gallery very much. Just for meetup pics I guess, and to show how you look like.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2022-05-15, 7:50

The gallery must have been taken down together with the rest of the website that wasn't the forum. Was that about ten years ago maybe?
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Liisi

Postby Liisi » 2022-05-15, 21:27

Ah I did have a feeling the whole website was bigger. Can't remember what exactly we had. Oh well.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2022-05-15, 23:45

Liisi wrote:Visiting this forum again after 15 years of inactivity brought back some memories and a couple of questions.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Liisi

Postby Liisi » 2022-05-19, 13:52

Osias wrote:
Liisi wrote:Visiting this forum again after 15 years of inactivity brought back some memories and a couple of questions.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Haha I'm surprised to see this forum is still (somewhat) alive, I have changed more myself! :D

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2022-05-28, 16:57

Liisi wrote:Another memory from the mid 00s is the Unilang irc chat! Besides the general channel, I remember Sauna for Finnish practice and Russian Cafe for Russian practice. It was a lot of fun, but probably doesn't exist anymore and in that case I suppose we don't have enough people for it now?

I'm not sure if the UniLang irc chat is still going. I know it was up until at least 6-8 years ago, because 8 years ago was when I joined here. I became active on the Skype chat (which no longer exists, I believe) but remember hearing Expugnator and Mulder-21 speaking of the irc chat. I can ask them if the irc chat is still alive, if you'd like.

As Car mentioned, there are unofficial UL groups on other social media, namely Whatsapp and Discord. There may be one on Telegram but I'd have to ask Mulder-21 as I don't use Telegram. Both groups are pretty active, though I believe the Whatsapp group has people who may not have accounts on UL (i.e., aren't Unilangers). I can add you to both if you'd like. For the Whatsapp one, you'll probably need to PM me your mobile number, and for Discord, I'll PM you an invite link, if you'd like. Let me know.

ETA: There are other ULers on both groups who you'll probably recognize. ""/Maggy is on Whatsapp and there are quite a few on Discord who you'll probably remember. The Discord one is actually a private Discord server that DissidentRage set up, so there are a bunch of channels for practicing various languages, voice chats, etc.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-05-28, 17:19

dEhiN wrote:
Liisi wrote:As Car mentioned, there are unofficial UL groups on other social media, namely Whatsapp and Discord. There may be one on Telegram but I'd have to ask Mulder-21 as I don't use Telegram. Both groups are pretty active, though I believe the Whatsapp group has people who may not have accounts on UL (i.e., aren't Unilangers).

What happens in those spaces that doesn't happen here? I haven't used Whatsapp, Discord or even irc so I've never looked into whatever Unilang is doing there at all, but I have to say the aspects of Unilang beyond this forum have always been a bit of mystery to me. What happens there? Can anyone join? How do you find them? How active are they compared to what happens here? How are they different from here? Are they talking about me? :silly:
But seriously, it's always seemed a bit strange when once in a while someone mentions "the Unilang Discord" or something and I'm like... oh... we have that? What am I missing?
Sono di continuo a caccia di parole. Descriverei il processo così: Ogni giorno entro in un bosco con un cestino in mano. Trovo le parole tutt'attorno: sugli alberi, nei cespugli, per terra (in realtà: per la strada, durante la conversazioni, mentre leggo). Ne raccolgo quante più possibile. -Jhumpa Lahiri

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2022-05-28, 20:18

Linguaphile wrote:What happens in those spaces that doesn't happen here? I haven't used Whatsapp, Discord or even irc so I've never looked into whatever Unilang is doing there at all, but I have to say the aspects of Unilang beyond this forum have always been a bit of mystery to me. What happens there? Can anyone join? How do you find them? How active are they compared to what happens here? How are they different from here? Are they talking about me? :silly:
But seriously, it's always seemed a bit strange when once in a while someone mentions "the Unilang Discord" or something and I'm like... oh... we have that? What am I missing?

Honestly, they're not that different from any other social media group on the respective platforms - it's a group of like-minded individuals who've come together to use that platform to share their shared interest.

More specifically, I guess the fact that they are social media groups means there's more opportunity for real-time interaction, though there's also the usual delayed-response interaction. The Discord server has a channel for memes and one for videos. The Whatsapp group tends to also get memes posted. By virtue of a Whatsapp group being what it is - a single group space for posting - there are times where 2 or more members are having a convo which you're not part of, too busy to participate in, or on a topic you have no interest in, but you'll still get the ding.

Keep in mind, both of these are unofficial. So, it's not so much, "oh, we have those", as it's one or more current/former Unilangers deciding to create a social media group on a specific platform and others have joined. Actually, there's also a UniLang Facebook group (or page, but I think it's a group). But, as a result of how they came about, there are people on each of those 3 social media platform groups that are either formerly active forum members, or perhaps even some who aren't forum members at all - though, I think this last possibility might be more the case with Whatsapp and possibly Facebook.

As for activity, I would say there is generally more activity on the Whatsapp group, secondarily on the Discord server, and thirdly on the Facebook group. I believe the FB one is less active than currently on here (the forum), the Discord one is maybe about equal, and the Whatsapp one is more active. But, that's from my perspective which factors in the amount of threads I keep up with on here. You might be part of more threads on here which could result in greater activity for you.

If you're interested in joining, for the FB one, just search for it. For the Whatsapp one, you'll have to give a group mod your number so they can add you. For the Discord one, someone will have to send you or post an invite link. I guess since I'm on all, if anyone is interested in joining, the best might be to PM me and I can add you or get you added.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2022-05-30, 21:08

If you want to join the Discord server, just follow this link: https://discord.gg/WaBrkavz

It will expire in 7 days, however.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Liisi

Postby Liisi » 2022-05-31, 18:07

I am not sure if I have time for discord right now, but thank you so much for your responses everyone, I'll keep this in mind!

Abavagada

Postby Abavagada » 2022-12-30, 0:54

There was a gallery. We encouraged members to take pictures when they had meetups / gatherings. Then I took their pictures and whatever write up they had and built a page in the gallery for them.

There was also a video library, where we posted the vids people made practicing their speaking on YouTube.

Over the years after I left, it looks like there have been a few technical people brought on board to keep the site running. I remember one of them talking about removing the gallery because it wasn't being added to and was "old".

I believe there was also a discussion a few years after I left about paring down the site anyways, so it wasn't using up as many system resources when Proycon moved everything to his own server. Some stuff also never got ported to the new website.

So your memory is correct. There was a lot more.

-Erik / Aba
"Internet killed the video star. Telepathy killed the internet star." - Men Without Hats
Parleremo - Where Languages Live! http://www.parleremo.org

ZombiekE

Postby ZombiekE » 2023-02-05, 19:47

Hi everyone!

I registered on this website in 2003 and I'm back 😂😂😂. I was checking IRC again and was wondering what had happened to the IRC server.

I am going to send PMs to some of you so that I can get links to the Discord server and other platforms where unilangers gather.

Cheers!
Mother tongue: Spanish/Castilian.
Learning: English, French, Chinese.
Got started but put on hold: German, Swedish, Esperanto.
Future: Portuguese (European), Finnish.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2023-02-05, 23:41

Uh... :shock: Welcome back! I hope you get started on Portuguese soon.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

ZombiekE

Postby ZombiekE » 2023-02-09, 23:45

Thank you! 😊.

Osias wrote:Uh... :shock: Welcome back! I hope you get started on Portuguese soon.
Mother tongue: Spanish/Castilian.

Learning: English, French, Chinese.

Got started but put on hold: German, Swedish, Esperanto.

Future: Portuguese (European), Finnish.

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”