Issues and Bugs

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Luís
Forum Administrator
Re: Issues and Bugs

Postby Luís » 2018-09-13, 9:19

I don't know if there's a specific reason for it to be done at 03:00 am CET (since it's proycon's personal server), but we can ask him. Most users at the moment seem to be from Europe and North America, so I'm not really sure how the time could be changed in order to minimize the impact (perhaps early morning in Europe?)
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2018-09-13, 9:48

Do we have any stats on when users are most active (however we want to define that)?
Please correct my mistakes!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-09-13, 12:06

I think that would mean at what time on a given day the highest number of users are online, on average.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2018-09-13, 15:38

If UniLang is really on proycon's personal server, I am not totally hopeful we'll convince him to change the maintenance time he set if he does work on it. I am, of course, grateful for him keeping this site running for what is soon going to be 20 years.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-09-14, 0:43

Thanks, that all makes sense and it's certainly not a big problem.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-10-21, 13:50

Hey all, I just experienced an odd bug. I got a notification dated 21 Oct 2018, 05:02 that I was quoted by Saim in his "Saim's Log 2017-2018" thread, and then another notification dated 21 Oct 2018, 07:21 that there was a reply by Saim in the same thread. The bug was that when I clicked on the quote notification, it took me to a post by Saim dated 27 Aug 2018, 02:19 where he quoted a question I had posted and then answered it. As I started reading the post content, I realized I had read this before, and confirmed that by looking at the post timestamp. The reply notification however took me to the latest post by Saim. The bug continues to persist: even though both notifications are now read, if I click on the quote notification, it still takes me to that old post.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-10-21, 18:44

If you look at Saim's post (from August) it says below: Last edited by Saim on 21 Oct 2018, 10:02*, edited 1 time in total.

Since he edited a post where he quoted you, you received a new notification.

*the hour shown depends on your timezone
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-10-22, 1:38

Luís wrote:If you look at Saim's post (from August) it says below: Last edited by Saim on 21 Oct 2018, 10:02*, edited 1 time in total.

Since he edited a post where he quoted you, you received a new notification.

*the hour shown depends on your timezone

Oh, my apologies; I didn't notice that!
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-31, 18:28

So, when I get a notification that a report has been taken care of, it obviously stays unread (and the good things that come with an unread notification), but clicking on it does nothing to have it turn read. Is there a way to have it be read without needing to go into my UCP and mark it as read? Did it always work like this? I can't remember.

TheStrayCat
Language Forum Moderator

Postby TheStrayCat » 2018-10-31, 18:59

księżycowy wrote:So, when I get a notification that a report has been taken care of, it obviously stays unread (and the good things that come with an unread notification), but clicking on it does nothing to have it turn read. Is there a way to have it be read without needing to go into my UCP and mark it as read? Did it always work like this? I can't remember.

Isn't there a check button on the right side of the notification?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-31, 19:16

In the UCP? Yes.

What I'm saying is, why can't we have it where I click the notification in the little bell icon when it pops up and have it concidered read then, instead of needing to go into the UCP.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-10-31, 20:43

księżycowy wrote:In the UCP? Yes.

What I'm saying is, why can't we have it where I click the notification in the little bell icon when it pops up and have it concidered read then, instead of needing to go into the UCP.

What TheStrayCat mentioned also works for the bell icon notifications. If you hover over the right side of an unread notification, you should see a little check mark come up. You can click on it and it'll mark the notification as read without you needing to go into the UCP, or (in the case of thread replies) having to go to the actual thread.

Edit: This method works on computer with a mouse. On my phone, I think I have simulated the same thing by pressing and holding on the notification. I'll have to double-check that though.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-10-31, 21:12

Since I had the habit of just clicking on the notifications when they came up, I never really saw the check mark on the right hand side. Or if I did, I didn't pay it any attention to it. Thanks guys! :)

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-11-07, 21:10

Is it ok to put Australian English (instead of simply "English") on my profile even if I do not actually speak the dialect, but want to learn it? Can I still have three stars? I think the dialect is not that different, right?
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-08, 0:31

Salajane wrote:Is it ok to put Australian English (instead of simply "English") on my profile even if I do not actually speak the dialect, but want to learn it? Can I still have three stars? I think the dialect is not that different, right?

I don't see why not. This is exactly what I do with Mexican Spanish.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-08, 1:54

vijayjohn wrote:I don't see why not. This is exactly what I do with Mexican Spanish.

What dialect have you been learning or do you know? I figured you had focused specifically on Mexican Spanish due to your profile. Also, I wish there was a general Latin American Spanish flag in the language list. There's enough similarities between the Latin American varieties to group them together but yet also separate from Castilian Spanish. At least, as far as I know.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-08, 2:38

Ohh, sorry, I just realized I misread Salajane's question. I still don't see the harm, though.

I'm not sure I can say I focused on a particular variety of Spanish per se, but I'd still say Mexican Spanish is by far the variety I'm most familiar with. Andalusian and Canarian Spanish seem to be really close to Latin American varieties of Spanish, and I vaguely remember hearing/reading that most(?) of the Spaniards that colonized the Americas were originally small-time farmers from Andalusia or something like that.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-11-08, 3:35

vijayjohn wrote:I'm not sure I can say I focused on a particular variety of Spanish per se, but I'd still say Mexican Spanish is by far the variety I'm most familiar with. Andalusian and Canarian Spanish seem to be really close to Latin American varieties of Spanish, and I vaguely remember hearing/reading that most(?) of the Spaniards that colonized the Americas were originally small-time farmers from Andalusia or something like that.

I thought a good amount of them came from the Canary Islands? (Or maybe that was the Portuguese and the Azores and Brazil?)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-11-08, 3:50

dEhiN wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:I'm not sure I can say I focused on a particular variety of Spanish per se, but I'd still say Mexican Spanish is by far the variety I'm most familiar with. Andalusian and Canarian Spanish seem to be really close to Latin American varieties of Spanish, and I vaguely remember hearing/reading that most(?) of the Spaniards that colonized the Americas were originally small-time farmers from Andalusia or something like that.

I thought a good amount of them came from the Canary Islands?

Maybe, but I don't remember.

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2018-11-08, 7:08

Salajane wrote:Is it ok to put Australian English (instead of simply "English") on my profile even if I do not actually speak the dialect, but want to learn it? Can I still have three stars? I think the dialect is not that different, right?

I have two stars for Belgian French on my profile, even though I was taught (mainly) French French at school. I'm slowly trying to Belgianise my French, and I had a minor success earlier this week when I read "septante-deux" instead of "soixante-douze" while watching a French French programme, without thinking about it or noticing anything unusual.

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”