Issues and Bugs

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Luís
Forum Administrator
Re: Issues and Bugs

Postby Luís » 2018-08-12, 8:35

Salajane wrote:If it's not difficult, can you please add formal semantics symbols to the virtual keyboard?

You'll have to be more specific than that, though...
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-08-14, 13:38

Luís wrote:
Salajane wrote:If it's not difficult, can you please add formal semantics symbols to the virtual keyboard?

I'm using this and I think I might need to ask some questions here.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-08-14, 13:48

Salajane wrote:
Luís wrote:

I'm using this and I think I might need to ask some questions here.

What I meant is that I need to know exactly the symbols you want me to add. I suspect you mean logic operators such as ∀, ∃, →, ⊃ and so on (which are not specific to semantics or linguistics btw), but I have no way of knowing exactly unless you tell me :)

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-08-14, 14:11

Luís wrote:I suspect you mean logic operators such as ∀, ∃, →, ⊃ and so on (which are not specific to semantics or linguistics btw), but I have no way of knowing exactly unless you tell me :)

Yes, I meant exactly those. And also the ones from set theory.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-08-17, 15:07

Does the forum support Soundcloud embedding? I can't seem to get it to work. I'm trying to use the [soundcloud][/soundcloud] brackets (via the icon and I've trying typing it in myself) and I'm following the example in the tooltip, but nothing is showing up in the post preview.

Kota-Ebau

Postby Kota-Ebau » 2018-08-18, 19:34

Today I it took me 2 hours to translate an story from a thread into my conlang to post it in that thread, in the Conlangs Forum. Then I clicked on "Send" and I get to the Login Screen when I already log on.
But that's not the worst. The worst is that when I returned to the comment that I was trying to send for copying and pasting it again after logging in, it was gone.
All my work of two hours was gone!
And why?
I don't really know. Please, fix that problem before it happens again to someone else.
Thanks.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-08-18, 19:59

Kota-Ebau wrote:Please, fix that problem before it happens again to someone else.
Thanks.

It has actually happened to me a couple of times before.
TAC 2019

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2018-08-18, 20:12

It hasn't happened to me yet, but I've been afraid something like it could happen. That's why I use that Save draft -button, and then I can be sure that even if something happened, the whole message wouldn't be gone. The only problem is that it's very easy to click the wrong button and accidentally send the unfinished message. :p
Another option is to write the message somewhere else and then copy paste it here.

These are just quick solutions. I don't know if the problem can be fixed, these kind of things are not my forte. :blush:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-08-19, 2:40

ceid donn wrote:Does the forum support Soundcloud embedding?

Probably not, but it seems you're the first person to admit actually testing it out since a user in China tried it and said Soundcloud was apparently blocked in China.

ceid donn

Postby ceid donn » 2018-08-19, 3:02

vijayjohn wrote:

Probably not, but it seems you're the first person to admit actually testing it out since a user in China tried it and said Soundcloud was apparently blocked in China.

LOL. I never see anyone posting Soundcloud here so I didn't know. I tried posting something I knew the owner allowed to be embedded on other websites when I couldn't get files from An Stòrlann in Scotalnd to post. I wasn't sure if An Stòrlann allows embedding to forums like this with their Soundcloud content, although they allow you to post it to FB, Twitter, Tumblr, etc. Either way, it doesn't seem to be working for me. Oh well.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-08-19, 18:49

Salajane wrote:
Kota-Ebau wrote:Please, fix that problem before it happens again to someone else.
Thanks.

It has actually happened to me a couple of times before.

It's happened to me before too, including the same situation as Kota-Ebau, where I had written a response and then hit Send only to be asked to log on again, and when I did, my reply was missing. Since then I've taken to copying my whole reply before I hit Send, just in case. That tactic has saved me a few times from having to retype things.

I'm curious whether you guys were on your phones when this happened to you. I think for me it's only happened on my phone. On my laptop, even if I've left my browser window at the reply screen and put my computer to sleep, when I go back to it and hit send the worse that has happened is that it says the form is no longer valid. But fortunately my response is still there, and I just have to hit send again.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-08-19, 19:07

dEhiN wrote:I'm curious whether you guys were on your phones when this happened to you.

Yes, I mostly use my phone.
TAC 2019

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-08-23, 8:34

Salajane wrote:
Luís wrote:I suspect you mean logic operators such as ∀, ∃, →, ⊃ and so on (which are not specific to semantics or linguistics btw), but I have no way of knowing exactly unless you tell me :)

OK, I've added them under "Logic Symbols". Please let me know if you need an operator currently not listed.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-08-23, 8:42

Kota-Ebau wrote:Today I it took me 2 hours to translate an story from a thread into my conlang to post it in that thread, in the Conlangs Forum. Then I clicked on "Send" and I get to the Login Screen when I already log on.
But that's not the worst. The worst is that when I returned to the comment that I was trying to send for copying and pasting it again after logging in, it was gone.
All my work of two hours was gone!
And why?
I don't really know. Please, fix that problem before it happens again to someone else.
Thanks.

If you're idle for more than 60 minutes, the forum session will automatically expire. Depending on the browser, pressing the back button might work (probably not on your phone, though). Like Naava mentioned, it's probably a good idea to use the "Draft" feature if you know you're going to take a long time to write a post.

I've changed the timeout from 60 to 120 minutes, so that might make the issue happen less frequently. I'm not really comfortable going beyond that as it might compromise security (e.g. people who log in in public/shared computers).

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-08-23, 8:45

I think so (though not many people actually use it).

I've changed a few parameters, can you see if it works now?

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-08-26, 9:21

Luís wrote:
Salajane wrote:

OK, I've added them under "Logic Symbols". Please let me know if you need an operator currently not listed.

Thank you very much!
TAC 2019

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-09-12, 0:59

This isn't a bug or even really an "issue," but I thought I'd post it anyway. Every day the Unilang system is down for 20 minutes or so; I assume it's for maintenance and I'm sure it's doing exactly what it's supposed to do. It happens at what I believe is 3am in the Netherlands so that makes sense.
My comment is that in my time zone it happens at 6pm which is just about the time I tend to be online after work. Many days I'm partway through writing a post when the system goes down so then I leave it sitting there and wait 20 minutes (sometimes it's a bit longer) for the system to come back up so I can post it. Not a huge problem, but... just now (5:50pm my local time) I looked at the bottom of index page where it says the number of users who are online, and noticed that it says there are currently 38 people on the site. There are other times when I've been on and it says only 1 or 2 people are on. So, I wondered if it's possible for the downtime to occur at a different time, and if so, is there any way to figure out which time would affect the fewest users (i.e. which time tends to be the least active)? I don't mind doing the daily 20-minute wait if I'm writing at 6pm but I thought I'd mention it in case it's something that could be changed (IF there is any time that doesn't affect too many people). I realize just about any time will impact SOMEONE (or that it may not be possible to change it all) but since there were quite a few of us on Unilang right before that time today, I thought it would be worth mentioning.
Sono di continuo a caccia di parole. Descriverei il processo così: Ogni giorno entro in un bosco con un cestino in mano. Trovo le parole tutt'attorno: sugli alberi, nei cespugli, per terra (in realtà: per la strada, durante la conversazioni, mentre leggo). Ne raccolgo quante più possibile. -Jhumpa Lahiri

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-09-12, 10:18

I noticed the same thing at 9pm in my time zone. Though usually I'm not on then.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2018-09-13, 1:44

Linguaphile wrote:This isn't a bug or even really an "issue," but I thought I'd post it anyway. ... I realize just about any time will impact SOMEONE (or that it may not be possible to change it all) but since there were quite a few of us on Unilang right before that time today, I thought it would be worth mentioning.

I don't think the time could really be changed. Technically it's probably possible. However, the server that UniLang runs on resides with proycon - it's his personal server if I'm not mistaken. Therefore, he's probably chosen a time that works well for him.

If the specific time (of 3 am CET as you said) is that much of a bother to the majority of users, I suppose we could ask proycon to change things. But, like you said, any time picked would affect someone, so I think picking a time with the least impact would be extremely challenging, if not impossible. Plus, even if we did pick one based on the current userbase (or even just current active users), that will change over time as the userbase changes.

Personally, because I know the downtime happens at 9 pm in my time zone, I try to avoid going on at that time. I think the downtime usually lasts about 20 minutes, so one possibility is to just wait out the 20 minutes, and then go online.
Native: (en-ca)
Active: (fr)(es)(pt-br)(ta-lk)(mi)(sq)(tl)
Inactive: (de)(ja)(yue)(oj)(id)(hu)(pl)(tr)(hi)(zh)(sv)(ko)(no)(it)(haw)(fy)(nl)(nah)(gl)(ro)(cy)(oc)(an)(sr)(en_old)(got)(sux)(grc)(la)(sgn-us)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-09-13, 2:12

dEhiN wrote:one possibility is to just wait out the 20 minutes

This is what I do almost every day (IME it is often more than 20 minutes, so I wait half an hour instead). The only exception is when I'm conveniently not at the computer, e.g. if I happen to be eating.

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”