"My languages" options

This forum is for discussing the ongoing and future projects and resources of UniLang. Please post your comments, criticism and ideas here. We are always trying to expand on things members find useful, helpful, or fun! This is also the place to report errors in systems and resources on the UniLang site.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Forum Administrators

dEhiN

Re: "My languages" options

Postby dEhiN » 2017-09-05, 17:13

Can we add Drehu? There's a song in the FSC Used Songs list that has the correct flag code but nothing shows up. Here's the Wikipedia page on it. The ISO code is dhv and the language's endonym seems to be qene drehu. I'm not sure what flag you would use for it. It's an Austronesian and specifically Malayo-Polynesian language.
My TAC for 2017.

N:(en-CA) | B2:(fr) | A2:(es-CO)(pt-BR) | A1:(sv)(ta-LK) | A0:(fy)(hu)(it)(ja)(ko)(ro)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-05, 17:15

I think I hosted the FSC that had that song and just used the flag for New Caledonia. I'll check later and make sure, though.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-09-05, 17:21

vijayjohn wrote:I think I hosted the FSC that had that song and just used the flag for New Caledonia. I'll check later and make sure, though.

If so it's not the one in the Used Songs list. The flag code is dhv which turns up nothing.

Another request:

Can we add Duala? It's not in the Language List, although the entry in the Used Songs list is used the flag code fr-cm which is the flag for Cameroon. Although, if possible maybe we could change the code to just cm? The ISO code is just cm and the country is just called (in English) Cameroon. Duala is spoken solely in Cameroon it seems.
My TAC for 2017.

N:(en-CA) | B2:(fr) | A2:(es-CO)(pt-BR) | A1:(sv)(ta-LK) | A0:(fy)(hu)(it)(ja)(ko)(ro)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-09-05, 18:17

I've added both of them.

(dhv)

(dua)
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Irusia

Postby Irusia » 2017-09-05, 19:13

I cannot add Anindilyakwa to my profile, although it is in the language list.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)

Ja učim: (hr) hrvatski
Počela sam učiti: 18.09.2017
Cilj: B2 do nove godine

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-09-06, 17:35

Irusia wrote:I cannot add Anindilyakwa to my profile, although it is in the language list.

Fixed

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-09-07, 16:29

Could we add Tokelauan to the language list?
My TAC for 2017.

Johanna
Forum Administrator

Postby Johanna » 2017-09-08, 23:10

Would it be possible to treat

Code: Select all

[flag=]code[/flag]

Code: Select all

[flag]code[/flag]

if there is no description following the equal to sign?

As it is now, lots of signatures that contain flags show the code rather than the flags, and there is a similar problem in the translations forum and the treads about false friends, true friends and cognates.

Case in point:
[flag=]en[/flag]
English (en)
(en)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language, want to understand and speak but can't.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-09-09, 9:23

That was already discussed here. From the moment Yserenhart changed the BBCode, every post that used the old version broke. And since there's no automatic reparsing, the only way to fix it is by editing every post one by one.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-09-10, 17:06

Luís wrote:That was already discussed here. From the moment Yserenhart changed the BBCode, every post that used the old version broke. And since there's no automatic reparsing, the only way to fix it is by editing every post one by one.

I remember that being discussed, but I think Johanna was asking if you could basically create the coding equivalent of a symlink? At least that's how I understood the question. I've never coded in php before, but does such a concept exist?
My TAC for 2017.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-09-10, 18:51

But what would the point of that be?

I could see the logic in it if that would make all the flags in old posts display properly again, but since that's not the case...

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-09-12, 13:02

Luís wrote:But what would the point of that be?

I could see the logic in it if that would make all the flags in old posts display properly again, but since that's not the case...

Oh I thought it would (make all the flags in old posts display properly again). When you said that it's a parsing issue, I didn't connect the dots.
My TAC for 2017.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-09-13, 13:24

dEhiN wrote:Could we add Tokelauan to the language list?

Bumping this just in case it was forgotten about. :D And adding a request to add Futunan to the language list. Actually specifically, if we could split them into East and West Futunan, that would be awesome. One of the FSC used songs was in East Futunan, and they used this flag for it.
My TAC for 2017.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-09-13, 15:19

Could we add a lang code and flag for Gaulish? In the used songs thread there are 3 Gaulish songs and for some reason the Switzerland flag is being used! I don't know if that makes sense though because I associate Gaulish and the Gauls with France, not Switzerland.
My TAC for 2017.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-09-14, 16:40

Could we add a lang code and flag for Gallo. A song in the Used Songs thread uses this flag.
My TAC for 2017.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-09-16, 19:28

dEhiN wrote:

Bumping this just in case it was forgotten about.

I didn't see it the first time, so good call ;)

I'll add all the languages tomorrow.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-09-17, 10:36

Added

dEhiN wrote:And adding a request to add Futunan to the language list. Actually specifically, if we could split them into East and West Futunan, that would be awesome. One of the FSC used songs was in East Futunan, and they used this flag for it.

Added

dEhiN wrote:Could we add a lang code and flag for Gaulish? In the used songs thread there are 3 Gaulish songs and for some reason the Switzerland flag is being used! I don't know if that makes sense though because I associate Gaulish and the Gauls with France, not Switzerland.

What's the native name of the language?
As for the flag of Switzerland, it could be Lepontic

dEhiN wrote:Could we add a lang code and flag for Gallo. A song in the Used Songs thread uses this flag.

Added

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2017-09-17, 11:25

Based on the sources we have for these languages, I'm not sure that we know that native name for Gaulish. Or any of the other Continental Celtic languages for that matter.

dEhiN

Postby dEhiN » 2017-09-20, 15:15

Luís wrote:Added
Added
Added

Thanks for the adds!

What's the native name of the language?

As for the flag of Switzerland, it could be Lepontic
Oh ok, then I guess using that flag makes sense. But I think it might still be good to have a lang code just for Gaulish. Although I'm not sure what you could use for the native name of the language. Could you leave that blank for now?
My TAC for 2017.

Return to “Unilang - Information, Input, and Questions”