Anyone interested in learning Slovak?

Do you want to learn more about Slovak language?

Yes! Of course.
72%
No, I'm not interested.
14%
No need, everybody speaks slovak.
15%

Total votes: 81

oozy
Anyone interested in learning Slovak?

Postby oozy » 2005-09-11, 14:38

Hi, I'm native slovak speaker and I'm little dissapointed, that there is no Slovak forum and people willing to learn Slovak. So If you want to know something about this slavic language, let me know :).

Geist

Postby Geist » 2005-09-11, 15:27

I'd love to learn more about this language! :D I know some Polish and Russian, and I'm always out to expand my knowledge of Slavic languages.
Das ganze Meer verändert sich, wenn ein Stein hineingeworfen wird.
- Blaise Pascal

English, Deutsch, Español

Learning: Polski, Русский

Cathurian

Postby Cathurian » 2005-09-11, 15:51

I heard it's got a really neat grammar, and I'd been wanting to learn a Slavic language for a while, but couldn't pick one. I'm interested!

Loiks

Postby Loiks » 2005-09-11, 16:03

Every language is VERY welcome!

oozy

Postby oozy » 2005-09-11, 16:05

In fact, slovak is the best slavic language to learn from central europe slavic languages, as one can understand czech and polish. And from my experience I can understand also little croatian and slovenian.

Czech is very very similar to slovak:

SK: Ahoj, ako sa máš?
CZ: Ahoj, jak se máš?
EN: Hi, How are you?

SK: Moje meno je Peter a bývam v Bratislave.
CZ: Mé jméno je Petr a bydlím v Bratislave.
EN: My name is Peter and I live in Bratislava.

SK: Pôjdeš dnes so mnou do kina?
CZ: Půjdeš dnes se mnou do kina?
EN: Would you go today with me to the cinema?

SK: Študujem psychológiu na Masarykovej Univerzite.
CZ: Studuji psychologii na Masarykově Univerzitě.
EN: I study psychology in the Masaryk University.

I hope that czech senteces are correct, as I can speak very well, but I have never studied grammar. ;)

icx

Postby icx » 2005-09-11, 16:07

Slovak sounds great :)

Saaropean

Re: Anyone interested in learning Slovak?

Postby Saaropean » 2005-09-11, 16:09

oozy wrote:Hi, I'm native slovak speaker and I'm little dissapointed, that there is no Slovak forum and people willing to learn Slovak. So If you want to know something about this slavic language, let me know :).

I can create a Slovak forum. Do you want to be its moderator?

Or should we dedicate the existing Czech forum to both languages, as in the Serbian&Croatian forum?

geoff

Postby geoff » 2005-09-11, 16:12

Saaropean wrote:Or should we dedicate the existing Czech forum to both languages, as in the Serbian&Croatian forum?

No way, Slovak needs its own!

Ja chcem hovoriť po slovensky!

geoff

MP: Sinun täytyy nousta ylös. Aurinko paistaa.
PM: Höh, mitä ihmeellista siinä on?
MP: Talvi on ohi, kevät on tullut ja elämä on ihana.
PM: Nukkuminenkin on ihanaa.

Loiks

Postby Loiks » 2005-09-11, 16:26

As the forum doesn't exist yet I ask here a question: how do you pronounce ô and ä in Slovak?

oozy

Postby oozy » 2005-09-11, 16:26

Saaropean wrote:I can create a Slovak forum. Do you want to be its moderator?

Or should we dedicate the existing Czech forum to both languages, as in the Serbian&Croatian forum?

It would be very nice to share forum with Czech, as I hope people know, that we were same republic 12 years ago and have very strong connections. But from practical reasons, maybe the Slovak forum should be separated. I'm not absolutly sure about this.

And of course I will glad moderate the new forum.

geoff

Postby geoff » 2005-09-11, 16:37

oozy wrote:But from practical reasons, maybe the Slovak forum should be separated.

I agree - the languages certainly are very close, and somebody learning Czech would be able to follow a lot of things written in Slovak, and vice versa, but if we had a forum mixing the two I think it would be rather confusing for less-than-intermediate learners of either language.

geoff

MP: Sinun täytyy nousta ylös. Aurinko paistaa.
PM: Höh, mitä ihmeellista siinä on?
MP: Talvi on ohi, kevät on tullut ja elämä on ihana.
PM: Nukkuminenkin on ihanaa.

oozy

Postby oozy » 2005-09-11, 16:44

Loiks wrote:As the forum doesn't exist yet I ask here a question: how do you pronounce ô and ä in Slovak?

"ä" is pronounced quite same as in finnish (very wide "e" mouth opened) in literary slovak, but most of slovaks pronounced it like normal "e" (close short). In fact the correct pronounciation is used only in some locations of central Slovakia (AFAIK) mostly in dialects, what is little paradoxical ;).

"ô" doesn't have special phonem it is pronounced like "u" and "o" together "uo" (so kôl (EN: stick or spile) is same as "kuol"). So in fact there is no reason for this latter from this point of view.

Strigo

Postby Strigo » 2005-09-11, 17:04

TAK TAK!

I love Polish language and I'm currently learning it, so Slovak is welcome too :)
Aquí es donde traduzco diariamente música israelí del hebreo al español

[flag]cl[/flag] native; [flag]en[/flag] fluent; [flag]il[/flag] lower advanced ; [flag]pt-BR[/flag] read fluently, understand well, speak not so badly (specially after some Itaipava); recently focusing on [flag]sv[/flag][flag]ar[/flag] and I promised myself to finish my [flag]ru[/flag] New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners in less than a month (12/oct/2013). Wants to wake up one day speaking [flag]ka[/flag][flag]lt[/flag] and any Turkic language.

kibo

Postby kibo » 2005-09-11, 17:14

I would like to learn it. There are many Slovak speakers in Vojvodina, especially in my town, though I suppose they speak a dialect. (And I remember hearing that Slovak has many dialects, are they easy to understand?) I don't think there will be any major troubles, since my native language is also a Slavic one. :)
Goals:
[flag=]es[/flag] ➜ C1 (DELE)
[flag=]de[/flag] ➜ B2 (Goethe-Zertifikat) / C1
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

oozy

Postby oozy » 2005-09-11, 17:35

Bugi wrote:I remember hearing that Slovak has many dialects, are they easy to understand?

I'm from the west Slovakia and for me it is sometimes hard to understand east dialects (but mosty from older people), as the words are so twisted and speach so quick that I could only catch few words :). But it is extreme. Dialects are mainly different in small changes in words, for example:

village : dedina, dzedzina
come here: pod sem, poj sem, poj semka
it is not: to nie je, to neni
to do : spravit, zrobit
there are: tam su, tam sa

and western dialects are strongly influenced by czech (as czech dialects in Moravia are strongly influenced by slovak).

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2005-09-11, 18:03

Although I don't intend to study Slovak seriously, I'd love to learn a bit of the language. I speak some Polish and since I've been in the Czech Republic two weeks ago, I've also read a bit about the Czech language recently. So it'd be quite interesting to learn how these three languages relate to eachother :)

I've been to Slovakia before, but only for a couple of hours in the Slovak part of the Tatra across the border from Poland. I can't say I have heard much Slovak during that short visit, but at least I could entertain myself trying to read the plaques ;) ( thanks to Fenek who taught me what each Slovak letter stands for :) )
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

jumichlo

Postby jumichlo » 2005-09-11, 19:42

Ja chcem učiť sa slovenský jazyk a už kúpil knihu „Slovenčina“ od Yvonna Tomenendala.
Hovorím niečo po Ruský.
Bývam vo Viedni a dúfam môžem chodiť na Slovensko občas.
(Don‘t ask how long it took to write this few words...). :?

oozy

Postby oozy » 2005-09-11, 20:00

jumichlo wrote:Ja chcem učiť sa slovenský jazyk a už kúpil knihu „Slovenčina“ od Yvonna Tomenendala.
Hovorím niečo po Ruský.
Bývam vo Viedni a dúfam môžem chodiť na Slovensko občas.
(Don‘t ask how long it took to write this few words...). :?

Minor changes:
Ja sa chcem učiť slovenský jazyk a už som kúpil knihu "Slovenčina" od Yvonna Tomenendala. Hovorím trochu po Rusky. Bývam vo Viedni a dúfam, že občas môžem chodiť na Slovensko.

Best said as:
Chcem sa učiť slovenský jazyk a už som si kúpil knihu "Slovenčina" od Yvonna Tomenendala. Hovorím už trochu po rusky. Bývam vo Viedni a dúfam, že občas môžem chodiť na Slovensko.

But, very well! I'm sure, that slovak must be hard language to learn for non-slavic speaker. I'm impressed that you have used cases correctly. Good Luck!

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2005-09-11, 20:25

I should also put some time into it. After all, Slovakia is just a few dozen kilometres away.
Tanulni, tanulni, tanulni!

A pő, ha engemély, kimár / De mindegegy, ha vildagár... / ...mert engemély mindet bagul, / Mint vélgaban a bégahur!...

oozy

Postby oozy » 2005-09-11, 20:31

CoBB wrote:I should also put some time into it. After all, Slovakia is just a few dozen kilometres away.

So should I do (with hungarian ;). In fact there is also hungarian minority in Slovakia.

Return to “Slovak (Slovenský)”