Mapavöid.

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators: Ashucky, Dormouse559

Egein

Mapavöid.

Postby Egein » 2005-10-10, 3:55

Mapavöid, short for "kigo mapavö id" , or "we spoke", is a conceptual conlang I started to see if I could construct a language starting from the most basic base.

I took each letter, looked at how, put in a certain order, they could make sence.

So I made a chart and a system.
Mapavöid has a system, for now, of height.
The front consonants (labials), the center consonants (dentals, silliant and laterals) and the back consonants (gluttural and lower).

Something that is low inside the mouth is deep inside the speaker, and thus represents the self, or the inside.

With this, I came up with the word "ko", meaning "I".

Ta, meaning it, or he (lower is sa, for she, and even lower is na, meaning it, but as a dummy pronoun or so)

Me, pi or fy mean "you" with different degree of formaility. The higher, the more formal.
Pi is the most formal, and fy is familiar.

And with those I came up with basic rules and words.

-

STOPS = incontinuity

SILLIANTS = continuity

LABIALS = feeling

SEMI = probability, future

A = undermined
ő = deternimed

xu bad
hot in
hol into
house taehot
taho here
hos at

any movement verb = two syllable
to go hosat
to give nat
to talk mapavö

And I came up with many different version of a verb and its serrounding.

I give Ko nat is
I give something Kol a ta nat is
I give it Kol ta nat is
I give this Kol őta nat is
I give that Kol őtanavö nat is
I give you it Kol ta ak me nat is
I gave you it Kol ta ak me nat it
We gave you it kigoł ta ak me nat id
We gave them it kigoł ta eg teda nat id
We have given them it kigoł ta eg tada nat itod

Here is how I explained my choice for every word:
-Ko is I (deep consonant, carrying "in" "inside" "I")
-nat is to give (here the verb to give shows movement. Na means it, -t is a stop and shows discontinuation of the movement. Meaning it moved from it and then it stoped, i.e. giving)
- is, is the verb particle. It is put at the end of the phrase to show the time of the verb or action. The form is actualy -s. the i comes from the personal pronoun's vowel. It has to be opposite from it, and is thus i. -s shows present because it is a silliant and it is a long sound, a continuous sound, and thus, the ever continuous present.

- a is the simple particle with the meaning of "a,an". It is a center vowel with no consonant and thus has a very loose meaning, an undetermined sence. a na - a it, meaning something.

-Kol is "I" plus an object marker, ergative. I chose -l because it has a sound that is not plosive. It is not really silliant, and thus carries the idea of "change", "new" . A new idea is introduced, and so, -l.

-ta means "it". A central consonant.

-ő is the definite particle. I chose ő because it is (in this conlang's perspective) a back vowel, again having the "inside" and "personal" meaning attached to it, importance.

-őta - the it, meaning "this".

-őtanavö - this there. na is a particle meaning "it", but more distant than "ta". vö is a preposision meaning there, linked with "ho", meaning here. v is the oposite of h, following the height chart.

-me means you

-ak (or rather just -k) is an indirect object marker placed before the pronoun. I took k because it shows that the (preceding) action has stoped and that a new thing has entered the phrase. The situation is not how it was. I give it, but then you come in and I give it to you.

-it is the past form of -s, again showing discontinuity with a stop consonant.

-kigoł is the plural of kol. Ka is added at the begining. it is a repetition of the first syllable. g is voiced and so is the ending -l (well it is devoiced).

-teda is the same as kago. ta = it. teda= them.

-id is the plural verb marker of -it. It does not take a repetitive addition.

-Eg is the plural of ek, which is the indirect object marker of ta.

-itod is the perfect form of it. -it is just doubled at the end to show that the action is no more and was no more then. in singular it is -itot.

All the vowels of particles change according to the pronoun.

I can make other phrases :

Kol tha mapavö it.
I spoke to him
[i-erg he speak past.marker.vowel-1st.]
http://media.putfile.com/kolthamapavoit

Þeða ő ho taehot ed.
They were in the house
[they the in house past.marker.vowel-3rd-plural]
http://media.putfile.com/thethaohotaehoted

Kol tha ő ek taehot ih.

I will give him the house
[I-erg he the acc.marker-vowel house future.marker.vowel-first][/url]
(is)(fi)
Nouse pois nokinen poika / nokiselta nuotiolta / havuisilta vuoteilta /pihkaisilta pään aloilta
www.flickr.com/otsebmi

Return to “Conlangs”