a request for advice and input on a constructed script

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators:Ashucky, Dormouse559

smkd4016
a request for advice and input on a constructed script

Postby smkd4016 » 2021-06-03, 21:02

hello, am trying to create a constructed alphabet, was planning to get it digitized as an exotic font at some point, but i have a couple questions before I try that, does anyone mind awnswering and ofering suggestiens, i will ask the questions one at a time:

1. for one, to make it exotic, i intend the script to have 3 letter cases, the third known as middle case, is used at the start of common nouns (inspired by german capitalization); I was thinking the most practical way to encode it would be to trick the font into thinking the middle case letters are small caps, does that seem like the best idea to you?

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Re: a request for advice and input on a constructed script

Postby Dormouse559 » 2021-06-04, 4:30

I see no reason why not. I don't know how small caps are encoded in digital typefaces, so I can't give any advice on how to implement this idea, but it sounds like it could work.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-06-04, 13:33

You might also look at how languages with larger alphabets or other writing systems are encoded and how they handle a larger number of characters with the number of keys on a standard keyboard. I don't know anything about font encoding but you might be able to do something similar. There are alphabets with two to three times as many letters as the English alphabet has, for example. Also, Arabic letters have an initial, medial, final and isolated form, so there are four versions of each letter as opposed to your system which would have only three (for example, the letter ث is written ث in isolation, but written ـث at the beginning of a word, ـثـ in the middle of a word, and ثـ at the end). I suspect that if you look at keyboard layouts for different writing systems you may find one that already does something analogous to the kind of thing you are describing (with different characters of course, and presumably different rules for when to use them, but then you could use the same concept for yours).

smkd4016

Postby smkd4016 » 2021-06-05, 21:18

2. anyone know a place where i could contact font designers or experts in typography to ask about the feasibility of a few things relating to it?

Return to “Conlangs”