Keplerian Proto-Arab Progress

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators:Ashucky, Dormouse559

caters
Keplerian Proto-Arab Progress

Postby caters » 2018-01-13, 5:08

I am making a conlang called Keplerian Proto-Arab. Keplerian is because it is on a planet with Kepler in its name. Proto is because this is the first language of a language family. And Arab is because it is based off of Arabic but is not itself Arabic.

So the first step is the phonemic inventory and I already have the Arabic phonology for consonants in my phonemic inventory. Namely:

m
n
p
b
t

d
k

q
ʔ
f
v
θ
ð
s

z

ʃ
x
ɣ
χ
ʁ
ħ
ʕ
h
d͡ʒ
l
ɫ
j
ɰ
r

But should I add other consonants to it and what vowels should I add to it?

I do want the writing system to be either an alphabet or an abugida, I don't know which.
(en-us)

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Keplerian Proto-Arab Progress

Postby Dormouse559 » 2018-01-14, 20:20

caters wrote:So the first step is the phonemic inventory and I already have the Arabic phonology for consonants in my phonemic inventory.
Which Arabic? There are so many varieties out there.

caters wrote:But should I add other consonants to it and what vowels should I add to it?
"Should" is a tough word in conlanging. As far as I'm concerned, the only thing you should do is make a conlang that satisfies you. That said, it can be helpful to get feedback from others. Since we all have different aims with conlanging, it'd help us give useful responses if you told us a specific goal you have in mind with the phonology. For example, how similar do you want this conlang to be to Arabic?
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

caters

Postby caters » 2018-01-14, 22:09

The Arabic I am basing my conlang off of is Modern Standard Arabic, the Arabic that is used primarily for writing but is sometimes used for speaking to someone who speaks a different dialect of Arabic. That phonology is most likely the one on the Wikipedia page on Arabic phonology.

I was thinking of having the writing system be based on the Arabic script. But then of course, there are lots of languages that use the Arabic script from Arabic to Persian to Malagasy before they decided to use the Latin Alphabet for Malagasy. And they have their own variants on it.

But I am basing my phonology on Modern Standard Arabic. I might base the grammar(such as double negation) on Modern Standard Arabic or if I can't find a particular grammatical feature for Modern Standard Arabic, I will probably base it off of Egyptian Arabic. WCS, I have to look at languages besides Arabic for a particular grammatical feature.
(en-us)

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2018-01-15, 16:49

caters wrote:But I am basing my phonology on Modern Standard Arabic. I might base the grammar(such as double negation) on Modern Standard Arabic or if I can't find a particular grammatical feature for Modern Standard Arabic, I will probably base it off of Egyptian Arabic. WCS, I have to look at languages besides Arabic for a particular grammatical feature.
:hmm: So let me reverse my question: In what ways will Keplerian not be Arabic? To focus on the topic at hand, you've already imported the full MSA consonant inventory; do you plan to make the vowels different or change the consonants in any way?
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

caters

Postby caters » 2018-01-15, 19:33

Well I just tried to pronounce every consonant and I found that uvular sounds are incredibly hard for me to pronounce. Uvular trills like in the french word rendezvous, even more so. So maybe I should get rid of the voiced uvular fricative and the voiceless uvular fricative. Pharangealizing a consonant is way easier for me than producing a uvular sound.

I do plan to have either of these 2 things happen for vowels:

Either I mark all vowels consistently as diacritics(which is what an abugida like Hindi does)

Or I have the vowels written as full blown letters, not diacritics(which is what an alphabet like most if not all European languages does)
(en-us)

Return to “Conlangs”