Thematic vocabulary

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators:Ashucky, Dormouse559

Lippinhoo
Thematic vocabulary

Postby Lippinhoo » 2017-06-22, 2:16

Hi everyone! I'm proposing this topic so we can share our conlangs with thematic vocabularies. So, I start with the animals vocabulary in my new project, the Argest-mugrar language.

Linguistics student :silly:

Levike

Re: Thematic vocabulary

Postby Levike » 2017-06-22, 17:08

Your language really reminds me of Hungarian. Except the e with the dots above. :silly:

Lippinhoo

Postby Lippinhoo » 2017-06-22, 17:40

Levike wrote:Your language really reminds me of Hungarian. Except the e with the dots above. :silly:

OMG [flag=]hu[/flag]! I really love the magyar language and it's certainly one of my influences in this project, although, in Argest, very few words have hungarian etymology. And I must say that the pronunciation of "ë" is the same of hungarian "e", that is, IPA [ɛ].
PS:And nothing of vowel harmony, cause it drives me crazy! lol :silly:

Levike

Postby Levike » 2017-06-22, 19:05

Lippinhoo wrote:[flag=]hu[/flag]! I really love the magyar language and it's certainly one of my influences in this project, although, in Argest, very few words have hungarian etymology. And I must say that the pronunciation of "ë" is the same of hungarian "e", that is, IPA [ɛ].

I think it's mostly the áéíóús that give it away. Pluss the letter combinations like zs.

Is "ár" plural or something?

PS:And nothing of vowel harmony, cause it drives me crazy! lol :silly:

That's not so hard. You only got to learn the combinations for every ending. :mrgreen:

How well do you know Hungarian? :hmm:

Lippinhoo

Postby Lippinhoo » 2017-06-22, 19:37

Levike wrote:I think it's mostly the áéíóús that give it away. Pluss the letter combinations like zs.

I replaced the use of macron or doubling vowels by adopting the acute accent above the vowels to represent long vowels. In the same way,the digraphs and trigraph (cs; czs; zs; dzs) serve to replace the use of diacritics to represent phonemes as
[ʃ]; [tʃ]; [ʒ] and [dʒ]

Levike wrote:Is "ár" plural or something?

Yap. The plural of nouns is formed by adding -sár at the end of the word. But, if the last vowel of the word is tonic, it is elongated.
Example:
huzot - animal ---- huzótsár - animals

Levike wrote:How well do you know Hungarian? :hmm:

What I know about Hungarian does not come close to the basics: some vocabulary, pronunciation, some grammar. But I can say your language enchants me and makes me very curious about it.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2017-06-22, 20:18

Lippinhoo wrote:Yap. The plural of nouns is formed by adding -sár at the end of the word. But, if the last vowel of the word is tonic, it is elongated.

Were Turkic languages your inspiration for this? (Did you copy-paste from Turkish or Khazakh?)

Lippinhoo

Postby Lippinhoo » 2017-06-22, 20:31

Levike wrote:(Did you copy-paste from Turkish or Khazakh?)

Not exactly, in Turkish the plural is formed with "-lar / -ler" or something like that. About Khazakh, I don't have much knowledge about the language. But Turkish influenced some of Argest's grammatical and lexical constructs, such as the locative with -de termination, for example.

Anyway, it's a language still in development, and I am not sure which routes Argest will take.

Return to “Conlangs”