Emotions in conlangs

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators:Ashucky, Dormouse559

Cubix
Emotions in conlangs

Postby Cubix » 2016-07-09, 10:24

Hi, my conlang already has a large lexicon with almost 400 words and is almost complete. But I haven't created the vocabulary related to emotions. I really need a large number of emotion related words because of linguistic relativity. This theory says that your mother tongue (the one you're educated with) has a lot of influence on your way of thinking, reacting and perceiving the world. So if my conlang, Bonestalingu, has a lot of emotion related words, the ones who will speak it will be able to feel lots of emotions and feelings, and that's what I want.

The language that has the more sophisticated feeling vocabulary is (I think) Portuguese. That's why I need someone whose mother tongue is Portuguese to create the emotion lexicon. Who's voluntary ?
Note that being fluent in Portuguese isn't sufficient, it must be your mother tongue.
Langue maternelle : [flag=]fr[/flag]
Fluently spoken : [flag=]en[/flag]
Ich kann ein bisschen sprechen : [flag=]de[/flag]
Kaj esperanto mojosas ! [flag=]eo[/flag]
Et ju posam strugisa lingo : Bonestalingu. And I have a conlang : Bonestalingu.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Re: Emotions in conlangs

Postby Luís » 2016-07-09, 19:50

Cubix wrote:Hi, my conlang already has a large lexicon with almost 400 words and is almost complete.

400 words is a large lexicon?

Cubix wrote:I really need a large number of emotion related words because of linguistic relativity. This theory says that your mother tongue (the one you're educated with) has a lot of influence on your way of thinking, reacting and perceiving the world. So if my conlang, Bonestalingu, has a lot of emotion related words, the ones who will speak it will be able to feel lots of emotions and feelings, and that's what I want.

The strong version of the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis has been thoroughly discredited. So yeah, it doesn't really work that way.

Cubix wrote:The language that has the more sophisticated feeling vocabulary is (I think) Portuguese. That's why I need someone whose mother tongue is Portuguese to create the emotion lexicon. Who's voluntary ?
Note that being fluent in Portuguese isn't sufficient, it must be your mother tongue.

I'm a native speaker of Portuguese and I don't know where you got that idea from.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

IpseDixit

Re: Emotions in conlangs

Postby IpseDixit » 2016-07-14, 17:10

Cubix wrote:This theory says that your mother tongue (the one you're educated with) has a lot of influence on your way of thinking, reacting and perceiving the world. So if my conlang, Bonestalingu, has a lot of emotion related words, the ones who will speak it will be able to feel lots of emotions and feelings, and that's what I want.

Do you seriously believe that?

I have definitely experienced Schadenfreude despite there being no equivalent word in Italian, and even before learning it through English.

Return to “Conlangs”