How to categories new conlang

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators: Ashucky, Dormouse559

toogletoggle

How to categories new conlang

Postby toogletoggle » 2016-06-24, 23:45

I've started working on a new conlang (well, technically, at this point I only really have the idea for it...), and I don't know how to classify it. It will have lots of Germanic influence, but (most likely) the majority of the language will be a priori. So I don't know if I should call it Germanic or a priori.

Any suggestions?
meow

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Re: How to categories new conlang

Postby Dormouse559 » 2016-06-25, 0:20

In what way does the conlang have Germanic influence? For instance, does it exist alongside Germanic languages and therefore borrow from them in world? Or is it more that you have been influenced by Germanic languages and put features of them into the conlang?

In the first case, I'd call your conlang "a priori with Germanic influence".

In the second case, I'd say your conlang is one of the ones that blur the line between a priori and a posteriori. Which to choose probably depends on how heavy and/or regularly derived the Germanic influence is. But it's also perfectly okay to avoid categorizing your conlang that way. I'd just call it "a conlang with Germanic influence" and explain the conlang's situation.

However, I wouldn't call it a "Germanic conlang" (germlang, as they're sometimes called), unless it was ultimately a regularly derived descendant of a natural Germanic language.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Return to “Conlangs”