Phonetic rules

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators:Ashucky, Dormouse559

Losam
Phonetic rules

Postby Losam » 2016-03-27, 15:14

Hi!

So, at first, I'm creating a basic grammar book of my conlang. And I want to make some rules about pronunciation/phonology about vowels, diphthongs, consonants and so on. Do you have some trips and tricks to do that?

Naava
Forum Administrator

Re: Phonetic rules

Postby Naava » 2016-03-30, 14:44

My number 1 source for anything seems to be Wikipedia. :P I've read articles about phonologies of different languages and sound changes, and I love its IPA article because of the recorded examples of all those crazy phonemes. My conlangs aren't really a posterioris but more like Frankenstein's monsters from bits and pieces of real languages and made-up vocabularies...

I also compare the languages I know to their siblings. And I've gathered lots of trivia knowledge from so many sources that I have no longer any idea where I've learnt and what.

Of course, there's the conlangs of other people, too. I don't like copying anyone else, be it conscious or not, but sometimes I get an inspiration from others. If you have no idea where to start, it's nice to read the conlang topics to see what someone else has done first.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2016-03-30, 15:28

Losam wrote:So, at first, I'm creating a basic grammar book of my conlang. And I want to make some rules about pronunciation/phonology about vowels, diphthongs, consonants and so on. Do you have some trips and tricks to do that?

If you haven't already read the Language Construction Kit, do it now.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2016-04-01, 0:01

mod

Please do not create a new thread to ask such simple questions. Use either this thread or this thread, or check this thread instead before asking as it might give you an answer already.

Thanks for understanding. This thread will now be locked.
Slovenščina (sl)English (en)Italiano (it)漢語 (zh)Español (es)Suomi (fi)Svenska (sv)日本語 (ja)فارسی (fa)Nešili (hit)
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
Največji sovražnik znanja ni nevednost, marveč iluzija znanja.

Return to “Conlangs”