Zokardi

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators: Ashucky, Dormouse559

Koko

Zokardi

Postby Koko » 2016-03-05, 7:49

I have to make a thread on Zokardi. Its number system is my favourite I had to share :mrgreen: Literally put the most effort into this one, not even a lot was put towered Isyan's numbers!

So I'm starting off with numbers right after phonology:

Vowels
short: <i e æ u a u o õ> /i e ɛ~æ ʉ a u o ʌ/
long: <í é â û,ú ó ô,á> /iː eː æː ʉː oː ɑː/
(long */u/ has merged with long /ʉ/; long */ʌ/ merged with long /a/)
diphthongs: <æi ai æu õi õu ou oi ei eu> /æi̯ ɑe̯ æo̯ ʌi̯ ʌʉ̯ ɔʉ̯ oi̯ ei̯ ɛʉ̯/
(ei and eu are marginal, and where thet are retained from the merger with /æi/ and /æo/ respectively, thet are either pronounced /eː/ and /iʉ~jʉ/ respectively)

Vowels can also appear in hiatus, so you can assume any romanized <eu> is /e.u/ (which is a frequent sequence).

Consonants
nasals: <m n ñ ng> /m n ɲ ŋ/
plosives: <p b t d k g> /p b t d k g/
affricates: <ts dz tj j> /t͡s d͡z t͡ʃ d͡ʒ/
fricatives: <f v s z ł š ž ś ź h> /f v s z ɬ~ɮ ʃ ʒ ç ʝ h>
rhotic: <r ř r*> /r r̥ ɹ/
approximant: <w l y> /w l j/

*can someone recommend a way to distinguish /r/ from /ɹ/ in romanization? Geminates are of course a thing, so <rr> for the trill doesn't work.

There is also the letter X which is /ks/ or /gz/ (depends on what it condenses). eg, feuxa /feˈuksa/ "to dream"; aixa /ˈɑe̯gzʌ/ (from "aigtsõ").

Consonant clusters are progressive: if a voiced consonant begins the sequence, every consonant following it will be voiced. Hence /ɑegzʌ/ instead of /ɑeksʌ/.

Usually speakers are very conservative in speech and pronounce every consonant clearly, but in certain words some great deal of lenition occurs. For example, the number 100 is "aigšxib." This should be pronounced /ɑegʒˈgzib/, but this is quite a mouthful and so you say /ɑegʒˈʒib/.

That's all for phonology for now. Let's move on to those numbers ;)

Koko

Re: Zokardi

Postby Koko » 2016-03-05, 8:42

Native Zokardi numbers are base-8. Not every multiple of eight gets its own word though, only 8-32. After that, it's 64, 128, 192, and I haven't created any more numbers, but I think it's best that's where it ends anyways.

Numbers come in two other forms: adjectival and ordinal. Ordinal numbers will always be based off the counting forms, but numerical adjectives 0-8 are quite different.

numberCounterAdjectiveOrdinal
0wek, ainaidwekka
1tjíźækkatjíyo
2šgo(re)õmbæišgoræi
3dûgdû(wi)dûgol
4frizhwasfriza
5tyõtsorgotyõi
6insintolinsev
7ngæmngæmningâm
8aigtsõ, aixõaixepaigtsõb

From here, you can derive 9-15: aixtji, aixšgo, aixdûg, aixfriz, aixtyõ, aixins, aixõngæm. All but 9 and 10 form their adjective and ordinal forms by simply adding "aix(õ)-" to the required form. 9 goes: aixtji, aixtjo, aixtjil. 10 goes: aixšgo, aixômbæi, aixšgoræi.

16jážjážnakjážõb
24keokeo, kew-keól
32ív(dõ)ívdõiívdõl
64ber(zi)bernaberzil
128sap(za)sapnasapzõl

The base-10 numbers are:
9: tós
10: xib
20: buan
30: śom(be)
40: ívaixõ (same as in base-8)
50: tyõxi
60: inxi
70: ngæmxi
80: berjáž (same as in base-8)
90: tóxi
100: aigšxib
(192: ting(žõ))

To form adjectives, add -na to the shortest form given (exception is buan, which becomes buana instead of buanna). To form ordinals, add -õl to longest form given, dropping any vowel except -i, which becomes -y-. So you get tóxyõl, śombõl, etc.

For the numbers 11-19, simply add xi- to the desired form. 12: xišgo; 15 (adj): xitsorgo.

There are three ways to read the number (for example) 135: 1. sapngæm, 2. aigšxib-śom-tyõ. 3. aigšxib-ívtyõ. The third way is rare, hardly ever used. It's more common to use the first way when counting, since it's faster, and uses all native words. The second way is really only used when making transactions with foreigners.

234: 1. tingívaixšgo (192-32-8-2); 2. šgo-aigšxib-śombe-šgo; 3. šgo-aigšxib-ívšgo (or -ívdõšgo).

I love this system. It's so complex and everything!

Return to “Conlangs”