New conlang (polysynthetic, mebbe?)

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators:Ashucky, Dormouse559

Ashucky
New conlang (polysynthetic, mebbe?)

Postby Ashucky » 2016-02-24, 16:45

So, I'm starting a new conlang because I haven't done so in a while. It's probably the closest I've come to creating a polysynthetic language.

The basic word order is probably SVO, leaning towards SOV, but it's otherwise pretty free due to inflections. It's also an active-stative language, specifically a fluid-s language.

Orthography and phonology:

Nasals:
<m mm n nn> /m m: n n:/

Plosives:
<p pp ph b bb bh> /p p: pʰ b b: bʱ/
<t tt th d dd dh> /t t: tʰ d d: dʱ/
<k kk kh g gg gh> /k k: kʰ g g: gʱ/

Affricates:
<c cc ch ʒ ʒʒ ʒh> /ts ts: tsʰ dz dz: dzʱ/
<č čč čh ǯ ǯǯ ǯh>/tɕ tɕ: tɕʰ dʑ dʑ: dʑʱ/

Fricatives:
<s ss z zz š šš ž žž h hh ǧ ǧǧ x xx* ř řř> /s s: z z: ɕ ɕ: ʑ ʑ: x x: ɣ ɣ: χ χ: ʁ ʁ:/

Liquids and approximants:
<l ll ł łł r rr jj ww> /l l: ɬ ɬ: ɾ ɾ: j j: w w:/

Vowels: <a e i o u y> /a e i o u ə/

Tones: low (not marked) and high: á é í ó ú ý

*I don't really like to use <x> and especially <xx> but I've no idea what else to use that would fit nicely. <ǩ> and <ȟ" are even more terrible than <x>, and I might use <ḫ> to indicate aspiration anyway.

And below are some preliminary sketches about the grammar:

Nouns:
Morphological cases: agentive, patientive, genitive, dative

Numbers: singular, paucal, plural

Genders: feminine, non-feminine

Nominal chain:
possessive-negative-ROOT-derivational gender-derivational classifier-number-pejorative/meliorative/approbative-approximative-diminutive/augmentative-tense-(restrictive/coordinative)-cases-postpositions-contrastive-(restrictive-coordinative)-[topical non-subject?]

Verbs:
Verbs are still mostly undecided, but I have the verbal chain done:
relative-agentive*-negation-ROOT-valency**-patientive*-dative*-locative*-reflexive/reciprocal-degree I-passive-verbal classifier-aspect I***-mood and tense-epistemic/deontic-determinative-degree II-aspect II-switch reference-emphatics

*includes gender, number and person
**includes causative and other transitivity-changing markers
***mostly spatial aspectual markers

I'll post more as I figure it out :D
Slovenščina (sl)English (en)Italiano (it)漢語 (zh)Español (es)Suomi (fi)Svenska (sv)日本語 (ja)فارسی (fa)Nešili (hit)
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
Največji sovražnik znanja ni nevednost, marveč iluzija znanja.

razlem

Re: New conlang (polysynthetic, mebbe?)

Postby razlem » 2016-02-24, 22:27

So many sounds :shock: (you have uvular/velar distinction for fricatives only? :hmm:) But I look forward to seeing it! Any particular language(s) you're basing it on?
American English (en-us)::German (de)::Standard Spanish (es) Swedish (sv) Mandarin (zh)::Choctaw (cho) Finnish (fi) Irish (ir) Arabic (ar)
Image wia wi nehas-kolwatos lae angos! Check out my IAL Angos
Image Contributor to the Houma Language Project
I have a YouTube channel! I talk about languages and stuff: Ben DuMonde

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2016-02-24, 23:24

Ashucky wrote:*I don't really like to use <x> and especially <xx> but I've no idea what else to use that would fit nicely. <ǩ> and <ȟ" are even more terrible than <x>, and I might use <ḫ> to indicate aspiration anyway.
<q qq>? Not the most intuitive assignment, but why not if it turns out you like it more than <x xx>?

Ashucky wrote:derivational gender
So are we talking Bantu-style gender? It'd be interesting to see how that plays out with just a two-way distinction.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2016-02-25, 21:40

razlem wrote:So many sounds :shock: (you have uvular/velar distinction for fricatives only? :hmm:) But I look forward to seeing it! Any particular language(s) you're basing it on?
Yeah, I like experimenting with sounds (I can pronounce). :D And yeah, only uvular fricatives, the uvular plosives have maybe merged with the velars or something. It's possible I can have that currently going on with the fricatives too (uvulars merging with the velars). I got some of the ideas for its grammar while reading about various Native American languages (Arawakan languages, etc.). Apart from that, nothing specific.

Dormouse559 wrote:<q qq>? Not the most intuitive assignment, but why not if it turns out you like it more than <x xx>?
Perhaps. I'm not a fan of <q> either, hehe.

Dormouse559 wrote:So are we talking Bantu-style gender? It'd be interesting to see how that plays out with just a two-way distinction.
Actually, that's the derivational classifier slot (there are various classifiers which are used with numerals (similar to Chinese/Japanese classifiers) and adjectives, and some of them are used to derive nouns as well). The gender slot is literally just feminine and non-feminine.
Slovenščina (sl)English (en)Italiano (it)漢語 (zh)Español (es)Suomi (fi)Svenska (sv)日本語 (ja)فارسی (fa)Nešili (hit)
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2016-02-26, 0:20

A few days ago I created a similar phonological inventory for a conlang that I made specifically with the intention of hating. It has more radical consonants though, and phonemic labialisation, palatalization, and pharyngealization :P It also is polysynthetic (no gender though) :hmm: How did we come up with such similar conlang ideas around the same time? :shock: Spoopy!

hashi

Postby hashi » 2016-02-26, 6:24

razlem wrote:So many sounds :shock: (you have uvular/velar distinction for fricatives only? :hmm:) But I look forward to seeing it! Any particular language(s) you're basing it on?

It wouldn't be an Ashucky language without a large inventory ;)

Ashucky wrote:*I don't really like to use <x> and especially <xx> but I've no idea what else to use that would fit nicely. <ǩ> and <ȟ" are even more terrible than <x>, and I might use <ḫ> to indicate aspiration anyway.

I feel like you've overlooked the most obvious suitable answer here, <ħ> (and <ħħ> if you need a geminated version).
(en-nz)(ja)(sv)(it)(mi)(et)

Sono ancora qui (a volte), ma probabilmente non ti voglio parlare.

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2016-02-29, 0:58

Koko wrote:How did we come up with such similar conlang ideas around the same time? :shock: Spoopy!

Gret minds think alike :D

hashi wrote:

It wouldn't be an Ashucky language without a large inventory ;)

Hey, I have a couple of langs with relatively small inventories :P

hashi wrote:I feel like you've overlooked the most obvious suitable answer here, <ħ> (and <ħħ> if you need a geminated version).

I know but while <ħ> looks fine, <Ħ> is just atrocious xD

hashi

Postby hashi » 2016-02-29, 1:52

Ashucky wrote:I know but while <ħ> looks fine, <Ħ> is just atrocious xD

Hmmm, I agree with you there. You could do some super funky thing where <ħ> is the lowercase version and have another prettier glyph for the uppercase. However, I do think that <Ħ> is better than <X> >.>
(en-nz)(ja)(sv)(it)(mi)(et)

Sono ancora qui (a volte), ma probabilmente non ti voglio parlare.

Return to “Conlangs”