X̋uňnıňıďrşřʻaqm̧əḩdätčïftďıýağeł

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators: Ashucky, Dormouse559

Vlürch

X̋uňnıňıďrşřʻaqm̧əḩdätčïftďıýağeł

Postby Vlürch » 2015-09-05, 8:46

Have you ever wondered what the language of the stillborn descendants of the Huns, spoken in the deepest pits of Hell where there is neverending war and torment, so many volcanic eruptions that they sound like a machine gun, and where the only law is survival of the fittest, where there is no water and so the only beverage available is the blood of enemies slain in battle (only for them to be reincarnated and, unless they managed to live extremely good lives, return back to continue the same cycle of revenge going back and forth between all the most sadistic murderers, cannibals, rapists, dictators, etc. for all eternity), with no concern over the limitations of the physical body to restrict the insane phonetic madness, would be like?

...no? Well, that's what X̋uňnıňıďrşřʻaqm̧əḩdätčïftďıýağeł is supposed to be. I've been trying to write some kind of a fantasy/horror/whatever novel (or at least short story) for ages and one of the problems I've kept bumping into is that there absolutely have to be language barriers, since it's set in Hell, and, you know, people die and... yeah... and, since Hell isn't a physical place, time is also not a concern, so, there's pretty much a constant conveyor belt of people from all points in time from all kinds of cultures coming in, and obviously it's not limited to just humans, either, and, like... well... :lol:

So, the main bad guys, who are descendants of the Huns (born in Hell; why would people stop having kids just because they're dead?), speak X̋uňnıňıďrşřʻaqm̧əḩdätčïftďıýağeł. So far I only have a few words, very few basic grammar things, and the alphabet, but it's pretty much a priori with the exception of words related to Huns and tiny little bits of whatever thrown in, but even they're blarghed beyond hell.

The alphabet

Vowels:
a - ɑ
â - a
ä - æ
ə - ɛ
e - e
ë - ɪ̈
i - i
ı - ɯ
ï - ɘ
î - ɨ
o - o
ö - ø̞
ő - ɵ
ȍ - ʊ
ô - ɤ
õ - ʏ
u - u
ü - y

Consonants:
b - b
b̧ - ɓ
b̛ - ɓˤ
b̧̛ - ɓʶ
c - d͡ʒ
ć - ɖ͡ʐ
č - t͡ʃ
tš -
d - d
ð - ð̞
ď - d͡ð
ďʻ - d͡ðʼ
đ - d͡ð̼
đʻ - d͡ð̼ʼ
f - f
f̧ -
f̧ʻ -
f̛ - p̪ʼ
f̧̛ - p̪͡fʼ
ğ - ɣ
ĝ - ʁ
ǧ - ɢˤ
ģ - ʡ
ġ - ɢʼ
g̐ - ɡ͡ʀʡʼ
h - h
ḩ - ħ
ḥ - ʜ
ḩ̣ - ʡħʼ
hʻ - ħ̼ʼ
ḥʻ - ʡʜʼ
ḩʻ - ħ̼
ḩ̣ʻ - ʡʜ̼ʼ
j - ʑ
ĵ - ʑʼ
ȷ̌ - ʑʡ̯ʼ
ȷ̐ - ʑʕ̝
ȷ̏ - ʑʕ̝ʼ
k - k
l - l
ł - ɫ
m - m
m̧ - ɱ
n - n
ň - ŋ
ń - ɳ
p - p
q - q
q̆ -
q̧ - d͡ɮ
r - r
ř -
ŕ - ʀ
ȑ - ʀʼ
ȓ - r̝ʼ
rʻ -
řʻ - ʀ̝
ŕʻ - ʀ̼
ȑʻ - ʀ̝ʼ
ȓʻ - r̼ʼ
rğ -
řğ - ʀ̝ˤʼ
ŕğ - ʀ̼ˤʼ
ďř - ɗɽ͡ɭ̆
ťř - ʈɽ͡ɭ̆
s - s
š - ʃ
ş - ç
ś - ʃʼ
s̐ - ʃ̪ʼ
ŝ - ʃ̼
ş̏ - ʃ̪ʼ
ş̋ - ʃ̪ˤ
šř - ʃɽ͡ɭ̆
şř - çɽ͡ɭ̆
t - t
ţ - θ
ţʻ - θ̼
ť - ť
ťʻ -
ţ̌ - t̼ʼ
v - v
w - w
wʻ -
ẃ -
ŵ - β
ŵʻ - βʼ
x - x
x̆ - χ
x̋ - χʼ
x̏ - q͡χʼ
y - j
ý -
z - z
ž - ʒ
z̧ - ʐ
ź - ʒʼ
ẑ - ʐʼ
z̏ - ʐ̞
z̋ - ʐ̝
z̧̏ - ʐ̞ʼ
z̧̋ - ʐ̝ʼ
žř - ʒɽ͡ɭ̆
z̧ř - ʐɽ͡ɭ̆
ʻ - ʔ

OMGWTFBBQ?!?!?!!?
Yes, that's 104 consonants. 105 if you count the glottal stop. Do they really have purposes, other than to make the language more incomprehensible? Nah, but why should they? It's not like anyone would be able to pronounce any of that shit anyway, because, I mean... voiced ejectives... although I don't really see why it's supposedly impossible for voiced ejectives to exist; just one of those things maybe like one in a thousand can do, like licking your own elbow or something... maybe... I don't know. :silly:

Now for what little vocabulary and grammar I have so far:

b̛üḩ̣ʻýaḥ - horse
öňďřşı - warrior
x̋uňnı - conqueror
şřʻaqm̧əḩ - mountain
ďıýağeł - language

öňďřşığəťb̛üḩ̣ʻýaḥtšäňläft - horseback warrior
x̋uňnıňıďrşřʻaqm̧əḩdätčïft - conqueror who lives in the mountains

x̋uňnıňıďrşřʻaqm̧əḩdätčïftďıýağeł - language of the mountain-conquerors/language of the people who conquered the mountains/language of the conquerors who live in the mountains/etc.

-ğəť - suffix to connect an agent noun to a related noun to indicate a symbiotic relationship
-ňıďr - suffix to connect an agent noun to a related noun to indicate ownership
-tšäňłäft - suffix to connect a noun to an agent noun to indicate that the noun is being used by the agent noun it is attached to
-dätčïft - suffix to connect a noun to an agent noun to indicate that the noun is using/including the agent noun it is attached to

aţ̌ağx̏a - father
ëq̧ujmuh - mother
ateŵʻnəf - child
upođʻokʻpul - raw meat
mäştšĝsöl upođʻokʻpul - barbecued meat
härğküňłüşĝsöl upođʻokʻpul - boiled meat
ateŵʻnəfĝsöl upođʻokʻpul - raw meat of children

What? Diacritic fever? Nahhhhh... :mrgreen:

WallOfStuff

Re: X̋uňnıňıďrşřʻaqm̧əḩdätčïftďıýağeł

Postby WallOfStuff » 2015-09-06, 21:12

Amazing. That's all I can say.

This is satire, right?

Pasie

Postby Pasie » 2015-09-07, 0:36

I actually find the purpose of this neat. Imagine being born in hell. That would be home- the infinite flames, the constant war, etc. I guess your dead, evil, soulless parent(s) would still love you, so you'd grow up normal, but more war like? Could I use this concept for a book?

Anyways, about the conlang. I love the hundreds of consonants and vowels. It makes it more mystifying. But it would be easy if it were your native tongue. I like how to letters look together.

I really like you conlang!

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-09-07, 7:20

Why is it I see no velar trill, hmm? Thou hast thine voiced ejectives, thine uvular fricative trills, and even thine many linguolabials. Surely thou hast not forgotten the velar trill?

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2015-09-07, 14:46

WallOfStuff wrote:This is satire, right?

I don't even know what satire would be in this context.
Pasie wrote:I actually find the purpose of this neat. Imagine being born in hell. That would be home- the infinite flames, the constant war, etc. I guess your dead, evil, soulless parent(s) would still love you, so you'd grow up normal, but more war like?

Heh, yeah.
Pasie wrote:Could I use this concept for a book?

Maybe we should collaborate? :D Some kind of a doubly epic Hell epic... or something. :P

Pasie wrote:Anyways, about the conlang. I love the hundreds of consonants and vowels. It makes it more mystifying. But it would be easy if it were your native tongue. I like how to letters look together.

There will be more, when I get around to it. I also thought of maybe incorporating something like noun classes that aren't "genders" in the sense that they'd be more "fluid", eg. based on the thing's metaphysical attributes. Not sure how that'd work, though...
Pasie wrote:I really like you conlang!

Thanks!
Koko wrote:Why is it I see no velar trill, hmm? Thou hast thine voiced ejectives, thine uvular fricative trills, and even thine many linguolabials. Surely thou hast not forgotten the velar trill?

There's no IPA for velar trill and stuff, like, there isn't a "trillised" thing like there is a "pharyngealised" thing (as far as I know, at least?), etc. If there was... :whistle:

Pasie

Postby Pasie » 2015-09-07, 15:10

:D :D :D :D :D

Naava
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Naava » 2015-09-07, 15:38

Ok your conlang made me actually say aloud mitä vittua when I saw it for the first time, and my wtf-feeling did not decrease while reading this. Awesome. It would be so cool to actually hear someone speaking in this language because even writing its name would be a Fear Factor challenge for me (and likely for most of us because X̋uňnıňıďrşřʻaqm̧əḩdätčïftďıýağeł whaaaat, good luck for those learning to write if this is your mother tongue!)

Anyway, I'm interested to see what will happen next. You really need to make some grammar things. Btw, are you planning to have like all grammatical cases etc you can find from Wikipedia? Because that would go very nicely with this phonology. Or the opposite, having almost no conjugations or cases.

In short, whatever you do, I'm waiting to see it. This is great. (I've sometimes wanted to do the exact same thing but I've been too cowardly to try.)

Pasie

Postby Pasie » 2015-09-07, 15:43

Wait... If you were born in hell. That's your home. That's where you love to be. Wouldn't he'll be heaven, and heaven be hell? Those kids would be raised to be bad, so when they die, they go to hell, which is heaven? But it would be like, if humans died, they went back to earth because they were good.

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2015-09-09, 17:30

Numbers... well, kinda:
cu (one)
ġeŕʻə (a handful)
žȍđïg̐ḩ̣ʻə (a dozen)
z̧ëťʻe (a lot)
ğöqïsî (hundreds)

Because, you know, they're Huns and they're in Hell, so they can't really die, so when they go to battle, they don't really need to worry about the number of enemies. :P

Some more grammar stuff:
-ďırğəzö - negative suffix for verbs
-ďırqütüş - negative suffix for object nouns
-ťəgär - negative suffix for subject nouns

Temporal suffixes for emphasis:
-aşďəb - past
-öşťüm - present
-öştörbır - future

For example,
Ğöqïsî b̛üḩ̣ʻýaḥłiqťəgär upođʻokʻpulďırqütüş ďřötţüz̧řźaďırğəzögiłiqöşťümştörbır.
"Hundres of horses will not eat raw meat." It has both the present and future emphasis-suffixes for extra emphasis. :P

Naava wrote:Ok your conlang made me actually say aloud mitä vittua when I saw it for the first time, and my wtf-feeling did not decrease while reading this. Awesome.

Thanks. :D
Naava wrote:It would be so cool to actually hear someone speaking in this language because even writing its name would be a Fear Factor challenge for me (and likely for most of us because X̋uňnıňıďrşřʻaqm̧əḩdätčïftďıýağeł whaaaat, good luck for those learning to write if this is your mother tongue!)

Heh. Well, since some of the sounds are impossible (well, at least almost) to make, it'd be really interesting to hear if someone could pronounce all that shit.
Naava wrote:Anyway, I'm interested to see what will happen next. You really need to make some grammar things. Btw, are you planning to have like all grammatical cases etc you can find from Wikipedia? Because that would go very nicely with this phonology. Or the opposite, having almost no conjugations or cases.

I'm not really sure yet. I mean, yeah, insane grammar = win, but on the other hand, handling everything with simple suffixes (and maybe some prefixes) kinda fits and there's no point in making it too complicated when 3/4 of the whole purpose of the conlang is just to have something for some characters in the story to speak, and I probably will end up having only a handful of sentences in it... although I could do the insane and write some kind of "poetry" in X̋uňnıňıďrşřʻaqm̧əḩdätčïftďıýağeł to have between chapters... and, most likely, in any case, I'll probably end up never finishing the story or the conlang because I suck at finishing anything, but oh well.
Naava wrote:In short, whatever you do, I'm waiting to see it. This is great. (I've sometimes wanted to do the exact same thing but I've been too cowardly to try.)

You should do it!
Pasie wrote:Wait... If you were born in hell. That's your home. That's where you love to be. Wouldn't he'll be heaven, and heaven be hell? Those kids would be raised to be bad, so when they die, they go to hell, which is heaven? But it would be like, if humans died, they went back to earth because they were good.

Well, I think of it like this: people die and if they've done a lot more good than bad, they go to Heaven, if they've done more good than bad they're reborn on earth as "lucky people" (eg. they're born to a wealthier family, in a peaceful place, etc.), if they've done equal shares of good and bad, they're reborn as pretty much the same, if they've done more bad than good but not much, they'll be reborn as "unlucky people" (in poverty, a warzone, etc.) and if they've done a lot more bad than good, they'll go to Hell, and then they're reborn pretty much the same they died when they've "suffered enough", or if they've done something really bad like killed someone, etc. they'll be in Hell forever. I mean, that's how I actually believe it happens, but I obviously have no idea if it's anywhere close to how it really is, or if there's any afterlife or anything at all, but well. It's kinda hard to even explain why I think that, it's like I just believe that's how it is. :blush: ...and that's also how it's in the story I'm writing, so... yeah.

WallOfStuff

Postby WallOfStuff » 2015-09-09, 20:40

Vlürch wrote:I don't even know what satire would be in this context.
"The use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices."

Pasie

Postby Pasie » 2015-09-10, 11:14

When they're reborn, do they keep their memories? When they die as their reborn self, go to heaven and all, do they remember their life in hell from ages ago?

Quetzalcoatl

Postby Quetzalcoatl » 2015-09-10, 17:14

Voiced ejectives cannot exist because your vocal cords need to be closed in order to produce them. However, when you pronounce voiced consonants, you need the let your vocal cords vibrate, so basically you'd need to do both things simulatneously and this is impossible, except if you have more than one throat.

However, I think it would be possible to have pre-voiced ejectives, so imagine you form your mouth to say a [d] and let your vc vibrate for some ms, but then you release the stop as a [t']

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2015-09-11, 5:05

Quetzalcoatl wrote:vocal cords

There are no vocal cords in Hell. 8-)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-09-11, 5:58

Vlürch wrote:

Then there's no voiced consonant whatsoever. In fact, not even vowels (only unvoiced vowels).

Vlürch

Postby Vlürch » 2015-09-11, 6:06

Koko wrote:
Vlürch wrote:

Then there's no voiced consonant whatsoever. In fact, not even vowels (only unvoiced vowels).

Maybe they don't need vocal cords. Maybe they have telepathic cords... or vocal networks. 8-)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2015-09-11, 6:20

I actually think it would make sense for them not to have voiced consonants and vowels. You're going for a rough, harsh, sandpapery sounding language by the looks of it, right? Voiced phones would just take some of that coarseness away.

Pasie

Postby Pasie » 2015-09-14, 1:43

Koko wrote:I actually think it would make sense for them not to have voiced consonants and vowels. You're going for a rough, harsh, sandpapery sounding language by the looks of it, right? Voiced phones would just take some of that coarseness away.

Good point. Imagine a devil rrrrrrrrrolling their R's :D

Return to “Conlangs”