Malachit

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators:Ashucky, Dormouse559

Shmuel
Malachit

Postby Shmuel » 2015-03-10, 4:09

Malachit (which means Angelic Language) is based on Semitic languages Hebrew and Arabic in both its alphabet and grammar. Phonetically, because of the frequent consonant-vowel pairing in any given word, it almost sounds African.

The consonants are: b, d, f, g, h, j, k, l, m, n, p, s, t, r (rolled), v, w, y, z, and ch (the guttural sound in Hebrew represented by ח).

The vowels are: a (ah), e (short), i (short), o (long), u (pronounced like oo as in shoot), and y (when sounded as in happy).

As a rule, most syllables consist of a consonant-vowel pair, though there are instances of consonant pairs and the occasional word ending with a consonant.

As with Hebrew, each letter in the Malachit alphabet represents an idea. I chose to use occupations that are required to sustain a kingdom.

As this conlang is still in its early stage, the order of the following list is subject to change.

B - Carpenter
D - Warrior
F - Officer
G - Stable Master
H - Scout
J - Architect
K - Judge
L - Blacksmith
M - Messenger
N - Guardian
P - Commander
S - Navigator
T - Watchman
R - Ambassador
V - Builder
W - Prophet
Y - Priest
Z - Wiseman
Ch - King

linguoboy

Re: Malachit

Postby linguoboy » 2015-03-10, 16:53

Shmuel wrote:As with Hebrew, each letter in the Malachit alphabet represents an idea.
Are you talking about the fact that Hebrew letters are named according to the pictographs which they developed out of? Because otherwise I can't imagine what you mean.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Shmuel

Postby Shmuel » 2015-03-10, 18:48

linguoboy wrote:Are you talking about the fact that Hebrew letters are named according to the pictographs which they developed out of? Because otherwise I can't imagine what you mean.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. This link explains it.

http://www.hebrew4christians.com/Gramma ... grams.html

Ahzoh

Postby Ahzoh » 2015-03-11, 3:26

I feel iffy about the meanings in that link.

I did something like that too: http://www.frathwiki.com/%C5%A0arad_Yat ... ing_System
A native of [flag=]en-CA[/flag]
Conlang: Image
Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.46

Shmuel

Postby Shmuel » 2015-03-11, 5:29

Ahzoh wrote:I feel iffy about the meanings in that link.

What do you doubt? If you search Ancient Hebrew Meanings, you'll find that different sources agree on their pictographic meanings.

Ahzoh wrote:I did something like that too: http://www.frathwiki.com/%C5%A0arad_Yat ... ing_System

How were you able to upload your original script?

Ahzoh

Postby Ahzoh » 2015-03-11, 20:57

I think it helps to know that tricon roots usually originate from a biliteral root and an affix, or the biliteral roots' vowels being analyzed as its counterpart consonant.

Shmuel wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:I feel iffy about the meanings in that link.

What do you doubt? If you search Ancient Hebrew Meanings, you'll find that different sources agree on their pictographic meanings.

Well, for one, I find the most common meaning by linguists of Shin to actually be "tooth", and this readily matches the meanings of the word in Proto-Semitic, not "destroy"... and the meanings of Qof and Tsade are wrong.
More accurate meanings can be found here:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_ ... c_alphabet

Ahzoh wrote:I did something like that too: http://www.frathwiki.com/%C5%A0arad_Yat ... ing_System

How were you able to upload your original script?

I actually made a font, typed the letters in paint and upload them from the FrathWiki site... you can upload files from the side, it's on the left side somewhere.

Shmuel

Postby Shmuel » 2015-03-11, 23:58

Ahzoh wrote:I actually made a font, typed the letters in paint and upload them from the FrathWiki site... you can upload files from the side, it's on the left side somewhere.

What did you use to create your font? I looked into how to do that once, but it seemed complicated.

Ahzoh

Postby Ahzoh » 2015-03-12, 4:15

Shmuel wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:I actually made a font, typed the letters in paint and upload them from the FrathWiki site... you can upload files from the side, it's on the left side somewhere.

What did you use to create your font? I looked into how to do that once, but it seemed complicated.

FontCreator, but you gotta pay for it...

lähettiläs

Postby lähettiläs » 2015-09-16, 22:06

I am very interested in more about your constructed language. How far is your progress? Do you plan to teach it for use as liturgical language?
[flag=]fi[/flag] Finnish is an indoeuropean language

Return to “Conlangs”