Help with creating an Aux. Lang?

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators:Ashucky, Dormouse559

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Help with creating an Aux. Lang?

Postby Dormouse559 » 2013-11-25, 15:28

Levente wrote:The genitive is something like the one Romanian/German has.

And the possessive ending could be just a simple postposition.
"Genitive" and "possessive" mean the same thing. See the first sentence of the Wikipedia page.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2013-11-25, 15:39

Dormouse559 wrote:Wikipedia page.
You're right the genitive case is the same as the possessive case.

But Yasmin-Kasumi was talking about possessive endings not about the possessive case.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the endings. My mistake.

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2013-11-25, 17:26

I mostly hear "possessive" applied to pronouns in European languages. It is not the same as the genitive though, which is syntactically different. English -'s and of are not interchangeable. Besides that, Classical Arabic has both a genitive case and possessive pronouns, which aren't the same either.

I still don't think it's likely that a language would have both. In every language I know of that has a genitive, it covers most of the same functions that a possessive would. (Arabic doesn't have a true possessive case, just the prefix li-.)
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

yasmin-kasumi

Postby yasmin-kasumi » 2013-11-25, 17:52

linguoboy wrote:
yasmin-kasumi wrote:I suppose you're talking about Esperanto?

Depends how you want to define "auxiliary language". If you're considering only constructed languages, then, yes, Esperanto. But natural languages can be auxiliary languages, too, and of those English is far and away the most widespread in history.

yasmin-kasumi wrote:Although it does have small communities in east asia, most speakers are in Europe and you can probably guess why :P

Because Europe is where Esperanto started?

Yes, and because it's more familiar to people who speak European languages, especially latin languages. Grammar and vocabulary are all very familiar. My nana who'se a native spanish speaker said that it's 'almost spanish' and I can see why. Natural languages are like wild flowers, they change wildly over time and in different regions flowers are the most common, some globally. A constructed Aux. language, at least the one I'm working on, should be like a well bred flower that is aesthetic and easy to grow anywhere, no soil has much advantage or disadvantage. It'll be hard to do something so... idealistic, but I don't think it's impossible.

dan3697 wrote:
yasmin-kasumi wrote:You could say that but not exactly. Locative tense is enveloped by dative tense and same thing for genitive and posses[s]ive. It's a sort of 'not all rectangles are squares' kinda thing.

But the possessive and the genitive are the same thing. The "not all...are squares" schtick works only for the relation between dative-locative in this case, as locative is for specific location (sort of akin to the function of the initiative and terminative cases) in addition to the fact that there is at least one language that has it. There is no known language that could be considered to have both a genitive and a "possessive". In fact, the idea of there being a "possessive" case is theoretical, and highly debated (as well, the argument for its recognition really only applies in debate about the categorization of the English genitive.)

They aren't the same thing, possesive is a form of genitive. Genitive case can denote possesion, origin, and composition, but I scarpped the idea of have seperate cases earlier. I'll probably only include genitive.
"The Sardinians mimic Latin grammar, just like the monkeys mimic humans..." Dante Alighieri

dan3697

Postby dan3697 » 2013-11-29, 20:44

yasmin-kasumi wrote:They aren't the same thing, possessive is a form of genitive. Genitive case can denote possession, origin, and composition.

Possessive is not a form of the genitive. In addition, the situation of the genitive denoting possession, origin, and composition in this case is coincidental. If you want to get technical, origin and composition are completely separate from genitive, but a language isn't considered to have a certain case if it doesn't mark them separately. For example, English has a nominative and an oblique, it can be considered to have these because it marks nominative by syntax, with oblique being any noun that isn't the dative, genitive, or nominative, marked as such by not being the subject (reversed in the passive voice), so therefore it is considered to have a nominative case and an oblique case. However, English just so happens to use the genitive-ish prepositions such as of, from, et cetera to show origin and composition. But, it doesn't mark them separately, so we classify them under the genitive for convenience. However, this does not mean that they are actual sub-types of the genitive.
If Hangul is based on shapes of mouth positions, then the Koreans must be Martians. Do I like, get a show on the History channel now?
.اگاگاھاۋاگىيۇد تاچامىيۇداب

My Conlangs: Vérédæntsk, Tagawaha, Слувидроватскиј, Dareqar, Matoran (reconstruction of the Bionicle language), Krndmaz, Þęndeś, Sutspiki, Gwornligh

I've formulated a conjecture as to the nature of language change. Every language change began with one guy saying, "I'm gonna say this a certain way, let's see if it catches on..."

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-11-22, 19:11

Levike wrote:I would dare to say that consonant clusters are waaaaaaaay easier than tones.

When it comes to consonants you can at least hear them clearly,
but I for example can't make any difference between the different tones in Mandarin.

Oh yeah? Try saying gvprckvni (where c is pronounced "ts" like in Croatian). ;)

Necroposting, I know, but still.

Levike

Postby Levike » 2015-11-22, 19:59

vijayjohn wrote:Oh yeah? Try saying gvprckvni (where c is pronounced "ts" like in Croatian). ;)

I´ll take that over a language with 3 tones, thank you.

Return to “Conlangs”