Your first sentence

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators: Ashucky, Dormouse559

Llawygath

Re: Your first sentence

Postby Llawygath » 2012-07-17, 23:02

And, just for fun, here are two "sentences" that look as if they should mean something but in fact don't:
Øùø ùùžøù, Ø´ùømù, Ømùùž øùžø ùøù.
Śřać żežŋő ŕoŝyš Šűžaź. Ĉyċač ĉaďswđ ēqėsĵaũ dżažiź ŵeŷšoŝ.
I'll definitely consider assigning meanings (and conlangs) to these, and if that ever happens I'll be back with the conlang names and what the sentences mean.

Ciarán12

Postby Ciarán12 » 2012-07-20, 20:47

The first sentence in my conlangs is always the same: 'I go to the shop.'

It's just a good basic sentence to work out important fundamentals. I also always hope that I'll be able to use the language one day with a friend of mine, so I design the sentences in the early stages to be useful for talking about things we might do (like going to the shop, or going for a walk or something like that).

Linguistic14

Postby Linguistic14 » 2012-07-21, 3:12

I have been using McGuffery's First Reader lately... so in my current conlang, still unnamed, the first sentence is:

"I see a boy": Raylau a oife. /ɾaɪlau a oɪfe/
みんなさんのSkypeユーザーネームは何ですか?
大家的Skype用户名是什么?
여러분의 Skype이름이 무엇습니다?

Petrovitch

Postby Petrovitch » 2012-07-22, 21:17

First proper sentence in my currently unnamed conlang.

ssetanııkkattūtıı ssııratııkk dakketadakkııbhūdakkara.
[ʃɛtɑniːkʼɑtʼʌtʼiː ʃiːrɑtiːkʼ dɑkʼɛtɑdɑkʼiːbhʌdɑkʼɑrɑ]
I told you that the man and woman had a child.
Native: [flag]en-GB[/flag]
Not bad at: [flag]ru[/flag][flag]is[/flag]
Knows the basics: [flag]ce[/flag][flag]fo[/flag][flag]fr[/flag]
Want to learn: [flag]os[/flag][flag]aqc[/flag]

PaulSh

Postby PaulSh » 2012-07-27, 10:49

In old-boyko language:
kak mataj?/kak matay/-how are you?

kak-how
ma-have
taj-you

Llawygath

Postby Llawygath » 2012-07-27, 14:59

Last night I wrote out a few sentences in Ýwŷẁ, which is really more of an experiment in ridiculousness than a conlang. Here's the first one, as I wrote it:
Ýwŷ-ẁ wẏ-ẇy ŷ wẃỳẁ ŵ ÿ-ẁ.

There isn't really any good translation for that sentence; the closest I can come is to say "I came ignorant of the cats" but that doesn't really capture the meaning very well. I actually ended up rewriting it a bit:
Ýwŷẁ wẏ-ẇy ŷ ŵ wẃỳẅ ÿẁ.
The gloss is (cat.PL yes-no because.of I why-to walk-verb), in case anyone's wondering. And the pronunciation is something like:
/i:'wɪ.ʉ 'wə.œj 'ɪ.ʏ wu:'ɨ.ɯ 'y.ʉ/

Ciarán12

Postby Ciarán12 » 2012-07-27, 17:22

Llawygath wrote:Last night I wrote out a few sentences in Ýwŷẁ, which is really more of an experiment in ridiculousness than a conlang. Here's the first one, as I wrote it:
Ýwŷ-ẁ wẏ-ẇy ŷ wẃỳẁ ŵ ÿ-ẁ.

There isn't really any good translation for that sentence; the closest I can come is to say "I came ignorant of the cats" but that doesn't really capture the meaning very well. I actually ended up rewriting it a bit:
Ýwŷẁ wẏ-ẇy ŷ ŵ wẃỳẅ ÿẁ.
The gloss is (cat.PL yes-no because.of I why-to walk-verb), in case anyone's wondering. And the pronunciation is something like:
/i:'wɪ.ʉ 'wə.œj 'ɪ.ʏ wu:'ɨ.ɯ 'y.ʉ/

That's a pretty cool looking language! Is it all just vowels and glides? It would be very are to speak though. Or rather, very hard to understand rapid speech in with the vowels being differentiated so slightly.

Llawygath

Postby Llawygath » 2012-07-27, 22:10

ciaran1212 wrote:That's a pretty cool looking language! Is it all just vowels and glides?

Thank you! :) (I created it to figure out if you really could make a language out of just y's and w's. :P) It's mostly vowels and glides, but there's one fricative (/β/) and I'm thinking of adding a glottal stop to separate syllables better.
It would be very are to speak though. Or rather, very hard to understand rapid speech in with the vowels being differentiated so slightly.

I think the vowels are differentiated well enough, but you never know. I haven't tried speaking it yet, but a lot of things in it depend on word order so that might help.

Milya0

Postby Milya0 » 2012-07-30, 21:38

I once did a conlang with only /m j a w/. Image
Qroo₃₁ kaa₄ cro₂ kraa₃ kaa₄ qo₄₁ cra₄₁ ka₄ qoo₄₂ krá₄₂.

motanz

Postby motanz » 2012-08-13, 20:46

Well, I've been working on some conlangs, and these are the first sentences I wrote down after some phonetic and grammatical structure was done.

Szabhdölva
  • Fjesz, zenemn vsus armat. /fjeʂ zən.ˈemn̩ fsus aɾ.ˈmat/ = Please, give me water.
  • Velmn dzet! /velmn̩ d͡ʑet/ = Come with me!

Dvalki
  • Rehu dnav vas tùt? /ˈʁɛ.xu dnaʋ vəs tʏt?/ = Where do you want to eat?
  • As jakse lùv dvalkif. /əs ˈjək.ʃɪ lyː ˈdval.kɪf/ = The sky is full of clouds.
Last edited by motanz on 2012-08-16, 0:07, edited 1 time in total.
русский (ru)türkçe (tr)íslenska (is)
日本語 (ja)français (fr)nāhuatl (nah)deutsch (de)
한국어 (ko)tlhIngan Hol (tlh)فارسی (fa)suomi (fi)gaeilge (ga)

Llawygath

Postby Llawygath » 2012-08-14, 23:10

How about we try to assign meanings to these and maybe fix them a bit? (Edit: and give them new colors, too.)

Llawygath wrote:snip
Øùø ùùžøù, Ø´ùømù, Ømùùž øùžø ùøù.

I can't think of any language for this to be other than Awyr, so I'll leave it at that:
Øùø ùùžøù, ø´Ùømù, ømùùž øùžø ùøù. "Help yourself, o Ùømù, you are bigger than I thought." ('ø´' is some sort of vocative prefix, I think; this language may also have tones, and if it's Awyr it has clicks too.)
Śřać żežŋő ŕoŝyš Šűžaź. Ĉyċač ĉaďswđ ēqėsĵaũ dżažiź ŵeŷšoŝ.
snip

Priořśki:
Śřać żežŋô řoŝyš Šýžaź. Ĉyċač ĉaďswd ekêśau dżažiź lejšoŝ. "I do not know Šýžaź. [something possibly about cats on doors]." (This language has cases called the "flative cases" that I'll get into some other time. It also uses Cyrillic as its official writing system.)

Llawygath

Postby Llawygath » 2012-08-15, 20:54

Llawygath wrote:Śřać żežŋô řoŝyš Šýžaź. Ĉyċač ĉaďswd ekêśau dżažiź lejšoŝ.

I think Priorese (Priořśki) is VOS, so we'll have to base any possible translation/gloss on that. Awyr is either SOV or OSV, but we'll get into that later. In any case:
Śřać żež-ngô řoŝ-yš Šýžaź. Ĉy-ċač ĉaď-swd e-kêć-au dżaž-iź lej-šoŝ.
(be.3SG.PRES NEG.PROG-know here-1PL.ABL3 [Šýžaź]. IFLV-GNR be.3PL.PROG-and DU-cat_ordinary.PL-CIRC POS.PROG-lie ABL1-door.)
Šýžaź does not know [about] our country (literally, "here [of] us"). The two fat (literally, "bigger than one would expect") cats are lying on the door.

Okay, maybe not VOS. Whatever it is, the unintentional Welsh influence is showing. Edit: oh, whoops, forgot to explain that "IFLV" stands for "inflative" and "GNR" stands for "general". Not that that tells anyone anything, though.

Llawygath

Postby Llawygath » 2012-09-05, 22:44

Oh dear, I seem to have created yet another nonsense conlang. I've had this running around in my head off and on now, but unfortunately I can't remember the words in either language so I can't sing it. So I set a bunch of nonsense to it, of which the first sentence is this:
Llawygath wrote:Milanuška, treka suška, aratrika adlai ron; a diliri eo siri drile ziri šela fon.

I say "sentence" only because I would like to gloss and translate it sometime when I'm not busy worrying about which floor my locker's on or what homework needs to be done in which language.

Edit: At this point, the gloss for the sentence is <sleep-IMP.2SG, dear_thing quiet_peaceful-VOC, fire-LOC dance-3PL.PROG time_duration; COND smoke-3SG.SBJ and crackle-3SG.SBJ keep_maintain-3SG.COND blanket-ABS warm.ACC 2SG.ACC.> Pronunciation is:
[ˌmila'nuʃ.ka ˌtreka 'suʃka ˌaɾa'trika 'adlaj 'ɾɔn ˌa di'liɾi ˌe.o 'siɾi 'drile 'ziɾi ˌʃela 'fɔn]

Cubix

Postby Cubix » 2016-07-09, 9:27

If I remember correctly, the forst sentence ever in Bonestalingu is :
Elu disenam bizara cosoj.
She draws weird things.
Langue maternelle : [flag=]fr[/flag]
Fluently spoken : [flag=]en[/flag]
Ich kann ein bisschen sprechen : [flag=]de[/flag]
Kaj esperanto mojosas ! [flag=]eo[/flag]
Et ju posam strugisa lingo : Bonestalingu. And I have a conlang : Bonestalingu.

Return to “Conlangs”