Text Translations

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators:Ashucky, Dormouse559

hashi
Re: Text Translations

Postby hashi » 2012-10-04, 3:44

I translated this song here. The Niđalos here is more poetic than usual, and cut down to fit the lines properly (although the rhyming wasn't kept). Quite often there was no direct translation, so I modified the lyrics to kind of fit with the theme running through the song.

Don't shed a tear for me
Nemedu vađniyo
I stand alone
Ukita đari
This path of destiny
Koa supana timeti
Is all my own
mayađ ađ

Once in the hands of fate
Oduna roka'l os,
There is no choice
endeinai asiyo
An echo on the wind
Glošušu kasi al
You'll hear my voice...
kimašaša...

Some choose to fall behind
Tođ kit uveiya kreš
Some choose to lead
il topriya kreš
Some choose a golden path
il okonaran i
Laden with greed
ligitasu tasi
But it’s the noble heart
Evi mou uminai
That makes you strong
keneođ koro
And in that heart, I'm with you all along...
Soa koro'l, mou an og ađ

The olde village lanterne
An or vrođ lina dan
Is calling me onward
tukra mea yopi
Leading wherever I roam
Timetu maedetsi
The olde village lanterne
Vai, vrođ lina dan
A light in the dark
Tekun al kikar
Bringing me closer to home...
na kodu mea modri

So when you think of me
Vai, an om ami os,
Do so with pride
lumi vaš sio
Honor and bravery
kalein i onkovoan
Ruled by my side
ana koro al
And in your memory
i moa dašen al
I will remain
an nokosiđ
I will forever be within the flame...
An avasa noka'l miran ari...

Now at the journey's end
Rogena ovar al
We've traveled far
nagka rogniva
And all we have to show
Avi asinai
Are battle scars
samseia šeim
But in the love we shared
evi arpivana đai vaš
We will transcend
avi oeyiđ
And in that love, our journey never ends...
i soa đai vaš, rogen mael ovariyo...
(en-nz)(ja)(sv)(it)(mi)(et)

Sono ancora qui (a volte), ma probabilmente non ti voglio parlare.

language learner

Postby language learner » 2012-10-07, 14:26

UniLang tpow sso rjo tjumej umshulu do ljox sej feosaox femo, duulow ri ommejx ju. Ro zu djun mjo, jonk cu zjon shjomow tjumej tpjo djo mju cjo do ljox sej ommej ju tsao nomjo. Sej zjon, djun jox low Umrej ommej seo Folow shorjo djo zjown low Ljox sej ommej zzo feosao femo. ZZofaj umrii ri ljox tpow djo zzown zej /om rjo mej jonk, jon miu jonk jox faj su cjo djo mju cjo je njo tpow shjomow ri tu seo zzo.

Jonk pumo sow Ajncajx ljo, ajnk, onno lu foja sao kjo ommejx ju djo cu djo ljox tpo cjo, djosow cu pude djo umri ljox, onno xe umrej. Omzow djo do ljox jonk, sowkju shose cudu ejmmjo, faj deo mjojue, own onk pulow ri djo djo mej ri, ceo mej losow, ceo mej tpow ju djo cudu ri mej cowxow. Nom shjozuu zzori.

The old UniLang site contained a reasonable collection of links to external websites offering language resources. With the help of all of you, we now want to rebuild a new and better collection of links to all kinds of language resources. To this end, you can select Submit a resource from the Development menu and then choose Link to resource on external website. Instead of converting the old and outdated links we used to have, I think we can be quicker and most of all better by rebuilding an index from scratch.

We are also looking for Link Moderators, people who like surfing the web for language resources and want to add links on a more than incidental basis, as well as want to check and activate the links others submit. The added value of our links, as opposed to plain search engines, would of course be that they are all manually checked and added, neatly categorised, classified by language, and easily searchable. It is an actual database.

The rest is to be translated later.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2012-10-12, 1:52

I recently updated my Selvesco translation of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The first version is the older one and was made soon after I started working on the language in earnest. The second one is the newer translation.

Ačualí recente-men mia tradučoni selvésc del Delharačoni dês Driecis deli Huomi. Ela prima versión es ela velhór e no erat fača longo sevént va enecé de trevalhár sencera-men al lémb. Ela segonda es ela nozčór tradučón.

Diclaračón Universál diles Dreptis dile Homi

Todos elos estares humanos nascan libros e evales in dintád e in dreptis. Son duados di račón e di conscienci e deven se comportár elos unos ab elis altris in uni esprito di fraterntád.

/diklaɾaˈt͡ʃon univerˈsal dis ˈdɾeptis dile ˈomi/
/ˈtodos elos esˈtaɾes uˈmanos ˈnaskan ˈlibɾos eːˈvales in dinˈtad e͡in ˈdɾeptis son ˈdwados di raˈt͡ʃon e di konˈʃentʃie ˈdeven se kompoɾˈtaɾ elos ˈunos ab elis ˈaltɾis in uni͡esˈprito di fɾateɾnˈtad/

Delharačón Universál dês Driecis deli Huomi

Todos ês estares humanos nascen liuros et evás en dentadi et en driecis. Son largidos de račoni e de conscíenč e deven se comportár ês unos ab ês altris en uni esprido de fraterntadi.

[deʎaɾaˈt͡ɕɔn ʊnɪvɛrˈsal dɛs ˈdɾit͡ɕɪs delˈɪ͡umɪ]
[ˈtodɔs ɛs ɛsˈtaɾɛs ʊˈmanɔs ˈnaɕɛn ˈlɪʊ̯ɾɔs ɛd eˈvas ɛn dɛnˈtadɪ ɛd ɛn ˈdɾit͡ɕɪs sɔn laɾˈd͡ʑɪdɔs de raˈt͡ɕonɪ e de kɔnˈɕint͡ɕ e ˈdevɛn se kɔmpɔɾˈtaɾ ɛs ʊnɔs ab ɛs ˈaltɾɪs ɛn ʊnɪ͡ɛsˈpɾɪdo de fratɛɾnˈtadɪ]

[diʎaɾaˈt͡ɕɔ̃n‿univərˈsaw diː ˈdɾiːt͡ɕiː diˈli͡uːmi]
[ˈtoduh‿ih‿iːˈtaɾih‿uˈmanuː ˈnaɕə̃ ˈliwɾuh‿id‿iˈvah‿ə̃ də̃ˈtad͡zi id‿ə̃ ˈdɾiːt͡ɕiː sə̃ laɾˈd͡ʑiduː draˈt͡ɕoni i dgə̃ˈɕĩːt͡ɕ i ˈdevə̃ skə̃pəɾˈtaɾ ih‿unuh‿ab iˈh‿awtɾiː ə̃n‿unjiːˈpɾidu də fratəɾnˈtad͡zi]
Last edited by Dormouse559 on 2012-11-14, 0:02, edited 1 time in total.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Kohlensäure

Postby Kohlensäure » 2012-10-14, 11:31

Dittö iykkö fræ Santigold
Disparate Youth by Santigold

Seokf tups maakit frön tæ'lk flikkit vepptu
Don't look ahead there's stormy weather

yl vedæ kytæ pö biöit padi
Another road block in our way

vittsi helkkö biö yysælökke, yysælökke biö siltallas
But if we go, we go together

biöit mænöskæ nelkke lebenttö hög helkkö biö manaok.
Our hands are tied here if we stay

Öö, biö dekroik, tær biöit dorotlisaska biööt kærö wökke
Oh, we said our dreams will carry us

læ helkkö kisö tups lentæö, wökke biö ösælö
And if they don't fly we will run

nok dyvökke biö dom pa sil fyndö
Now we push right past to find out

fræg jö perkkövök, flera kisö lepærdilökt hokke
How to win what they all lost

Biö skkerökke nok, tær biö mör villokke
We know now we want more

yle vihrot, dom ylt y vört nelk sil pukkao
A life worth fighting for

biö skkerökke, tær biö mör villokke
We know that we want more

yle vihrot, dom ylt y vört nelk sil pukkao
A life worth fighting for

Fröster lettökf kisööt dekro, tær biö tups rokalat nelkke
So let them say we can't do better

pönökkef ylt rylæskæ pa, ylt biö tups bepyttö pöætelökke
Lay out the rules that we can't break

Kisö villokke seto læ hrogot akseokke
They want to sit and watch it wither
(de)(zh)(es-cl)(en)(fi)(vi)(bg)(ja)

Narbleh

Postby Narbleh » 2012-10-15, 2:41

Some Alan Watts!

Zen does not confuse spirituality with thinking about God while one is peeling potatoes. Zen spirituality is just to peel the potatoes.
Seeni larraho ue suolevama ei reivema heelea pahtemaði toupanna. Suolevama Seenga ei pahtevaa toupanna eon.

Ego is a social institution with no physical reality. The ego is simply your symbol of yourself. Just as the word "water" is a noise that symbolizes a certain liquid without being it, so too the idea of ego symbolizes the role you play, who you are, but it is not the same as your living organism.
Mareivy ei settejes vendiva verramoo silvis. Mareivy ei saitaan minnaus sinnensi. Enjave sama "voor" ei söi minnausta kueluus enna mai se oe talla, notaan mensa mareivyn minnausta reoda rees, vil es, mai se engo silviarrönsi viði.
[flag=]en-us[/flag][flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]eo[/flag][flag=]nl[/flag]Image

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2012-12-13, 7:17

Here's "The Bear and the Travellers" in Selvesco.

El Orso et ês Viagzadores
The Bear and the Travellers

Duos viagzadores eran dento lo camino, vando un orso aparét sóveda-men. Ánteva ês nodát, el uno verso un arba vicino lo camino vát, e dento los ramis escalát e se caczát evi.

Two travellers were on the road together, when a bear suddenly appeared on the scene. Before he observed them, one made for a tree at the side of the road, and climbed up into the branches and hid there.

El altro no erat tanto agél va suo suoczo; e, parva no podevat fuír, suli suolo se gzaczát e fengét muorto.

The other was not so nimble as his companion; and, as he could not escape, he threw himself on the ground and pretended to be dead.

El orso venét evi e sospirát cerca elo, ma restát trambelo e tenét el espiraczoni: co se dicet va un orso no tanget uni cuorpi muorto. El orso pezát va erat un cúors e salít.

The bear came up and sniffed all round him, but he kept perfectly still and held his breath: for they say that a bear will not touch a dead body. The bear took him for a corpse, and went away.

Vando ném ali valo erat, el viagzadór dento la arba descendét e deli altro entrovát va el orso elo mormorarit vando ponét sua bóc a sua orélh.

When the coast was clear, the traveller in the tree came down, and asked the other what it was the bear had whispered to him when he put his mouth to his ear.

El altro respondét, "Mi discét va no reviage nomba uni amígoco vi vos fuit al prím sénh de priglo."

The other replied, "He told me never again to travel with a friend who deserts you at the first sign of danger."

La malfortuna pruovat el sencertadi del amicecza.

Misfortune tests the sincerity of friendship.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2018-02-09, 21:18

I needed a quick text to translate into Silvish, and I remembered this fable. What I forgot was that I'd translated it six years ago. So you can compare 2018 Silvish with 2012 Silvish by also looking at the post just above.

L' Ousou e li vvêyadjeûwi
[ˈlu.su e.luv.vɛː.jaˈʑøː.wi]
The bear and the travellers

Dou vvêyadjeûwi eu-z ettêye den lê hammen-i ensemble can qu' appru en ousou. Avan qu' el lou-z apparçêve, l' ent alla a en-' ambri u beurdi du hammé, grempan u bbranhi e s' i cachan.
[duv.vɛːjaˈʑøː.wi ø.zɛˈtɛː.jə dẽ.lɛː.hɑ̃ˈmẽ.i ɛ̃ˈsɛ̃m.blə kɑ̃ŋ.kaˈpʁy ŋ̩ˈu.su | a.vɑ̃ŋ.kɛl.lu.zap.paˈsɛː.və ˈlɛ̃nt aˈla a.ŋ̩ˈɑ̃m.bʁi yˈbœʁ.di dy.hɑ̃ˈme gʁɛ̃ˈpɑ̃ŋ yˈbʁɑ̃ɴ.hi e.si.kəˈɕɑ̃ŋ]
Two travellers were on the road together, when a bear suddenly appeared on the scene. Before he observed them, one made for a tree at the side of the road, and climbed up into the branches and hid there.

L' otrou l' etté pa ensi ajilou que s' compã e, privat d' ehhampeil, eu se jeta par ter e eu fí lê meurti.
[ˈlo.tʁu lɛˈte ˈpa ˈɛ̃n.si əˈʑi.lu ke.skɔ̃ˈpɑ e.pʁiˈvat dɛh.hɑ̃ˈpɛʎ ø.se.ʑəˈta paˈtɛʁ e.əˈfi lɛˈmœʁ.ti]
The other was not so nimble as his companion; and, as he could not escape, he threw himself on the ground and pretended to be dead.

L' ousou approtcha e l' renifla tou-t u tour, mê li vêyadjar resta parfeteman emmobilou, retan-an son souflou : fê on se dí qu' en ousou touhîya pa en cadavrou. L' ousou lou pré pren-i cadêvri e eu s' en alla.
[ˈlu.su ap.pʁɔˈɕa e.lʁe.niˈfla tu.tyˈtuʁ | ˈmɛː li.vɛː.jaˈʑaʁ ʁəˈsta paʁ.fe.təˈmɑ̃ŋ ɛ̃m.məˈbi.lu | ʁe.tŋ̩ˈɑ̃ŋ sɔ̃ˈsu.flu | ˈfɛː ɔ̃n.səˈdi kŋ̩ˈu.su tu.hiˈja ˈpa ɛ̃ŋ.kəˈda.vʁu | ˈlu.su luˈpʁe pʁẽ.i.kəˈdɛː.vʁi e.ø.sẽ.aˈla]
The bear came up and sniffed all round him, but he kept perfectly still and held his breath: for they say that a bear will not touch a dead body. The bear took him for a corpse, and went away.

Can qu' la veye l' etté liberte, li vêyadjar a l' ambri detçandu e elly alla a l' eûtri par çou qu' l' ousou lwi-y avé chichota a metan sa bouhe contre son ôwely.
[kɑ̃ŋ.kləˈve.jə lɛˈte liˈbɛʁ.tə | livɛː.jaˈʑaʁ əˈlɑ̃m.bʁi dɛt.tsɑ̃ˈdy e.ɛʎ.ʎaˈla əˈlœː.tʁi paʁ.suˈklu.su lɥi.jəˈve ɕi.ɕəˈta a.məˈtɑ̃ŋ səˈbu.hə ˈkɔ̃n.tʁə sõ.ɔˈwɛʎ]
When the coast was clear, the traveller in the tree came down, and asked the other what it was the bear had whispered to him when he put his mouth to his ear.

L' otrou reppondu : « Eu m' a dí que vêyedjou pû avé en-' amîyi qui m' abbandon-e u primîyi sennyi du danjî. »
[ˈlo.tʁu ʁɛp.pɔ̃ˈdy | ø.məˈdi ke.vɛˈjɛd.dʑu ˈpyː əˈve ẽ.əˈmiː.ji ki.mab.bɑ̃ˈdõ.ə y.pʁi.miː.jiˈsɛ̃ɲ.ɲi dy.dɑ̃ˈʑiː]
The other replied, "He told me never again to travel with a friend who deserts you at the first sign of danger."

Lou mallyeu me-t a l' eppreûve la senseretê d' l' amittî.
[lu.maˈʎø me.ta.lɛˈpʁœː.və la.sɛ̃n.se.ʁəˈtɛː dla.miˈtiː]
Misfortune tests the sincerity of friendship.

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2018-02-24, 22:49

Dormouse559 wrote:I needed a quick text to translate into Silvish, and I remembered this fable. What I forgot was that I'd translated it six years ago. So you can compare 2018 Silvish with 2012 Silvish by also looking at the post just above.

There's a rather significant difference between the two versions. While I can understand most of your 2012 version with little trouble, the 2018 version is whole 'nother story. I can understand parts if I squint my eyes but some parts are not really understandable to me. Good job though, the old version looks more along the lines of "just another Romlang" while the new one looks much more original and unique. I like it :y:

I'm also taking this opportunity to post a translation of mine, in one of my a posteriori conlangs (which I haven't really talked about much here). It's a conlang derived directly from Proto-Italic, which makes it a sister language to Latin and a cousin language to all modern Romance languages. Its major characteristic is pretty big gap between the spelling and the pronunciation (the spelling is fairly etymological while the pronunciation has undergone some significant and radical sound changes). Oh yeah, the language is called Phichene (natively Phichensias [fiˈxɛa̯ʃas]) and it also comes with its own script that was derived from the Old Italic alphabet(s). Most of the words have Latin cognates, even though they may look rather different :D

Chavhroniós ieth Sfól
[xamroˈɲɔu̯s jɛ ˈʃɔu̯l]
The North Wind and the Sun

Chavhroniós ieth Sfól tisphúrihetiabhandh pothripis holtiós ierédh, pomich in holmódh mantilódh oephvheluthas vhitiáchthor riethremetiasedh.
[xamroˈɲɔu̯s jɛ ˈʃɔu̯l t͡ʃifˈfʊɔ̯riet͡ʃamɔf ˈpovripis uˈt͡ʃɔu̯s jɛˈrɛa̯j | ˈpomix in uˈmɔu̯m mɔt͡ʃiˈlɔu̯m jemˈmeluvas miˈt͡ʃɔa̯ʃor ʒɛvreˈmet͡ʃasej]
The North Wind and the Sun were disputing which was the stronger, when a traveller came along wrapped in a warm cloak.

Oenevhechetiasérh pus pich prímas vhitiáchthoréi mantilam vostholned hachiefádh, isthich holtihmas chonsifasasiádh.
[jenemexet͡ʃaˈsɛa̯ʃ pus ˈpix ˈprɯi̯mas mit͡ʃɔʃoˈrɛi̯ ˈmɔa̯t͡ʃilan voˈʃɔu̯ned aʃɛˈfɔa̯j | ˈiʃix uˈtɯi̯mas xusifasaˈʃɔa̯j]
They agreed that the one who first succeeded in making the traveller take his cloak off should be considered stronger than the other.

Chavhroniós thóm holtitrihme susliáschedh pum phothedh, sepput vamis susliabhadh, vamis vhitiáchthor in mantilódh se oephvheliebhadh.
[xamroˈɲɔu̯s tɔu̯n utirˈrɯi̯me suʒˈʒɔ̯ʃej pun ˈfojej | ˈsepput ˈvamis suʒˈʒamaj ˈvamis miˈt͡ʃɔa̯ʃor in mant͡ʃiˈlɔu̯m se jemˈmeʒɛmaj]
Then the North Wind blew as hard as he could, but the more he blew the more closely the traveller wrapped his cloak around him.

Higniters Chavhroniós riettád tatchietedh. Thóm Sfól holmiters vhiesfihenféschedh ieth vhitiáchthor sovham mantilam sthatim vostholnehsedh.
[iniˈteʃ xamroˈɲɔu̯s ʒɛtˈtɔa̯d taʃˈʃɛtej || tɔu̯n ʃɔu̯l umiˈteʃ mjɛsfiaˈfɛa̯ʃej jɛ miˈt͡ʃɔa̯ʃor ˈsoman ˈmant͡ʃilan ˈsat͡ʃin voʃunɛa̯sej]
Finally the North Wind gave up the attempt. Then the Sun shined out warmly, and immediately the traveller took off his cloak.

Ieth thamtam Chavhroniós chon​hathéd iehspsedh pus Sfól tádh isies holtiós ieradh.
[jɛ ˈvantan xamroˈɲɔu̯s xunaˈjɛa̯d jasəˈpsej pus ˈʃɔu̯l tɛj ˈiʃɛs uˈt͡ʃɔ̯s ˈjɛraj]
And so the North Wind had to admit that the Sun was the stronger of the two.

And in the attachment below you can see the text in the native script (click on it to see it in full resolution).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slovenščina (sl)English (en)Italiano (it)漢語 (zh)Español (es)Suomi (fi)Svenska (sv)日本語 (ja)فارسی (fa)Nešili (hit)
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.
Največji sovražnik znanja ni nevednost, marveč iluzija znanja.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2018-02-25, 4:49

Ashucky wrote:There's a rather significant difference between the two versions. While I can understand most of your 2012 version with little trouble, the 2018 version is whole 'nother story. I can understand parts if I squint my eyes but some parts are not really understandable to me. Good job though, the old version looks more along the lines of "just another Romlang" while the new one looks much more original and unique. I like it :y:

Thanks :mrgreen: In some ways, the language is more similar to the 2012 form than it used to be, at least in the relationship between spelling and pronunciation. It went through a period of many silent consonants and unexpected vowels. Those've been reined in quite a bit. In other ways, though, Silvish is weirder; it's innovated a pair of grammatical genders overlapping the inherited masculine and feminine.

Out of curiosity, which parts were especially incomprehensible? I'm editing my translation a little, and some input would be appreciated.

Ashucky wrote:I'm also taking this opportunity to post a translation of mine, in one of my a posteriori conlangs (which I haven't really talked about much here). It's a conlang derived directly from Proto-Italic, which makes it a sister language to Latin and a cousin language to all modern Romance languages. Its major characteristic is pretty big gap between the spelling and the pronunciation (the spelling is fairly etymological while the pronunciation has undergone some significant and radical sound changes). Oh yeah, the language is called Phichene (natively Phichensias [fiˈxɛa̯ʃas]) and it also comes with its own script that was derived from the Old Italic alphabet(s). Most of the words have Latin cognates, even though they may look rather different :D

I like the looks of this. Not many people make Italic conlangs. The spelling-pronunciation correspondence reminds me of Irish. <vh> [m] in particular is a mirror version of Irish <mh> /v/. Is Phichene (How's that pronounced, by the way?) spoken in the present day?

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2018-02-27, 14:30

Dormouse559 wrote:Out of curiosity, which parts were especially incomprehensible? I'm editing my translation a little, and some input would be appreciated.

At first glance, for example, eu se jeta par ter e eu fì lae ... looked fairly incomprehensible, although after reading the English translation below, it became clearer what the words meant (ter = terra = ground, for example). But I'm pretty sure that if I just heard the language spoken without seeing it written and with no translation, I'd be very hard-pressed to figure out what it meant on the whole. If I'm not mistaken, Silvish is more closely related to French (and Spanish) than to Italian, right?

Dormouse559 wrote:I like the looks of this. Not many people make Italic conlangs. The spelling-pronunciation correspondence reminds me of Irish. <vh> [m] in particular is a mirror version of Irish <mh> /v/. Is Phichene (How's that pronounced, by the way?) spoken in the present day?

Tbh, I did try to make this conlang look vaguely Celtic/Irish, at least in orthography, and I'm glad it can actually be spotted. :D Phechene would be spoken in the present day, in central Italy (in Marche, which was called Picenum in Ancient Roman and that's where the name Phichensias/Phichene derives from, and also eastern and northern Umbria).

Regarding the pronunciation, how would you pronounce it if you saw it written for the first time? I've sort of come to pronounce Phichene as /ˈfɪsi(ː)n/, although given the <ch> there I guess /ˈfɪki(ː)n/ might also be a valid pronunciation.
Slovenščina (sl)English (en)Italiano (it)漢語 (zh)Español (es)Suomi (fi)Svenska (sv)日本語 (ja)فارسی (fa)Nešili (hit)
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2018-02-27, 17:43

Ashucky wrote:At first glance, for example, eu se jeta par ter e eu fì lae ... looked fairly incomprehensible, although after reading the English translation below, it became clearer what the words meant (ter = terra = ground, for example). But I'm pretty sure that if I just heard the language spoken without seeing it written and with no translation, I'd be very hard-pressed to figure out what it meant on the whole. If I'm not mistaken, Silvish is more closely related to French (and Spanish) than to Italian, right?

Yes and no. You're right that Silvish is more closely related to French than Italian. And while I suppose it's technically more closely related to Spanish than Italian, being Western Romance, it has a lot more to do with the latter than the former. And right up there with the French influence, you'll also find Arpitan.

So anyway, a good knowledge of French is useful for understanding some of the choices I'm making. In fact, I think the section you quoted is one that could be rather comprehensible for a French speaker. The French translation would go, "il se jeta par terre et il fit le mort" /il sə ʒəta paʁ tɛʁ e il fi lə mɔʁ/.

Ashucky wrote:Regarding the pronunciation, how would you pronounce it if you saw it written for the first time? I've sort of come to pronounce Phichene as /ˈfɪsi(ː)n/, although given the <ch> there I guess /ˈfɪki(ː)n/ might also be a valid pronunciation.

I eventually settled on /ˈfaɪ̯kiːn/. Compare "lichen" /ˈlaɪ̯kn̩̩/.

EDIT: Updated the translation. Among other changes, the long vowels are now represented by doubling vowel letters

Ashucky

Postby Ashucky » 2018-03-03, 22:24

Dormouse559 wrote:
Ashucky wrote:Regarding the pronunciation, how would you pronounce it if you saw it written for the first time? I've sort of come to pronounce Phichene as /ˈfɪsi(ː)n/, although given the <ch> there I guess /ˈfɪki(ː)n/ might also be a valid pronunciation.

I eventually settled on /ˈfaɪ̯kiːn/. Compare "lichen" /ˈlaɪ̯kn̩̩/.

Oh, I hadn't thought of that. Although pronouncing it like that feels wrong knowing the etymology of the word ...

Dormouse559 wrote:EDIT: Updated the translation. Among other changes, the long vowels are now represented by doubling vowel letters

Inb4 this turns into a Finno-Romance conlang :mrgreen: But that definitely gives it a very unique and distinctive look.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2018-03-04, 1:23

Ashucky wrote:Oh, I hadn't thought of that. Although pronouncing it like that feels wrong knowing the etymology of the word ...
Hmm, how so? Admittedly, the name isn't a Graeco-Roman loan (I assume), so the Anglicization conventions for that kind of borrowing don't have to apply. That said, "Phichene" does look an awful lot like a Graeco-Roman loan.

Ashucky wrote:Inb4 this turns into a Finno-Romance conlang :mrgreen: But that definitely gives it a very unique and distinctive look.
:lol: Well, don't be surprised if it changes again. The long vowels are the bane of my existence at the moment, but I also can't just get rid of them, so there may be several changes yet.

EDIT: There it is. The long vowels are all represented with circumflexes now.

Return to “Conlangs”