Passing your conlang on.

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators: Ashucky, Dormouse559

SostiMatiko

Re: Passing your conlang on.

Postby SostiMatiko » 2014-02-07, 11:49

In case you would like to be a member, join here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/omado.sosti.matiko/ and also see viewtopic.php?f=85&t=42524 regarding your question,
thank you
ॐ भूर् भु॑वः सुवः त॑त् सवितु॑र् व॑रेणियं भ॑र्गो देव॑स्य धीमहि धि॑यो यो॑ नः प्रचोद॑यात्

Ahzoh

Postby Ahzoh » 2014-02-09, 5:07

I hope to teach people my conlang when I create my own nation.
I think creating your own micro-nation is a great way to get others to learn your conlang and have your children learn it too.
A native of [flag=]en-CA[/flag]
Conlang: Image
Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.46

razlem

Postby razlem » 2014-02-09, 18:01

Ahzoh wrote:I hope to teach people my conlang when I create my own nation.
I think creating your own micro-nation is a great way to get others to learn your conlang and have your children learn it too.

Unfortunately that turns out to be a catch-22. You need a significant number of people (and I'm talking like, thousands) to even have a chance of your nation being recognized. But then you're going to have a hard time attracting people to your cause unless you have such a state established already.

I considered a smaller step- creating my own town. But you'd need tons of money and a team of committed people to make it happen (maybe you can get funding from the state or federal government). But you have to think about development, law enforcement, taxes, education, etc.
American English (en-us)::German (de)::Standard Spanish (es) Swedish (sv) Mandarin (zh)::Choctaw (cho) Finnish (fi) Irish (ir) Arabic (ar)
Image wia wi nehas-kolwatos lae angos! Check out my IAL Angos
Image Contributor to the Houma Language Project
I have a YouTube channel! I talk about languages and stuff: Ben DuMonde

Ahzoh

Postby Ahzoh » 2014-02-09, 20:45

razlem wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:I hope to teach people my conlang when I create my own nation.

Unfortunately that turns out to be a catch-22. You need a significant number of people (and I'm talking like, thousands) to even have a chance of your nation being recognized. But then you're going to have a hard time attracting people to your cause unless you have such a state established already.

I considered a smaller step- creating my own town. But you'd need tons of money and a team of committed people to make it happen (maybe you can get funding from the state or federal government). But you have to think about development, law enforcement, taxes, education, etc.

No you don't just look at Talossia, the kid made a country from his bedroom!

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-07-08, 6:59

Currently teaching someone Isyan. Neither of us are as good as I would hope for the amount of time we've spent (since march!). I can still only speak as much as I can speak Latin confidently: I am a boy, you are a girl, that is a dog, we are people, they come, I go. And as usual for me, I write a whole lot better than I speak.

Does anyone have textbook templates or children's books that I could translate ^.^?

While I still think it's a little cruel* (first page to read my post), I'm going to teach Isyan instead of Jurran. While the latter is more complete (by not much) and has more vocabulary, Isyan seems to be a bit easier to both teach and learn because its grammar sometimes mirrors that of some natlangs. It even has the nice irregularities that make any language seem more naturalistic; and since it's not meant to be perfect and without mistakes unlike IALs (I'm looking at you Esperanto), it's okay for me to have made some (irregularities).

*I'm actually starting to think it's not a bad thing to teach your child without their wanting to because that's essentially what happened to every person on Earth: did I ask to speak English? (no I didn't.)

Ahzoh

Postby Ahzoh » 2014-07-09, 7:46

I was talking to CBBers and they said that problem with teaching conlang is that it has to be useful and that other conlangers wouldn't bother learning yours because well, they have their own.

I still try.

So, anyone wanna learn my conlang, and I might learn a bit o' yours.
As far as my fluency goes, well I can say basic sentences, but I only have maybe 100 or so nouns.

I have a frathwiki page for it!

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-07-09, 8:06

That's why I aim to teach people without a conlang ;)

I'd totally try to learn yours, Ahzoh, but it has a phonology I'm not used to: it'd have to take a lot of practice just to say the word "I." I must say that one reason I'd force myself to learn what you have is because then it gives reason to use your beautiful script :P

Lol, "I" is actually an easy word ^.^

Manzoku

Postby Manzoku » 2016-04-13, 6:00

When I have kids someday, I hope to pass my conlang (Kamitogo) on. I've been working on it for two years, but never taught anyone more than a few words in it. I would also teach them the language of the region Im living in of course though, unless we're like the last people on Earth.

RubyH

Postby RubyH » 2016-04-13, 23:35

I certainly would maybe? Or maybe not.
Ich würde es definitiv oder definitive nicht tuen.

grantiswrich

Postby grantiswrich » 2016-07-15, 8:00

I think it'd be cool to teach your kid your conlang. When I have kids, I plan to teach them Kamitogo and then the language of whatever area we're living in.

Return to “Conlangs”