Bon Wen 2.0

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators:Ashucky, Dormouse559

k2attack
Bon Wen 2.0

Postby k2attack » 2010-03-29, 8:43

Arpee, the creator of this language, updated it a year ago on freewebs.com/bonwen. He also had a Bon Wen dictionary uploaded on Scribd.com on 2/18/2009, as it says on the site. He brought lots of updates. He promised he would improve Bon Wen further. BUT, he deleted the dictionary on freewebs and gave a hyperlink to the Scribd.com dictionary. He even sold it for $2 to view the whole dictionary. But the thing is, it's unupdated (probably by accident). It says that the dictionary was uploaded 2/18/2009, before the updates. What's more, it STILL hasn't been updated. It's just the old Bon Wen with all its flaws before they were corrected during the updates.

That's why I decided to resurrect the language. Bon Wen is now allowed to evolve: Arpee himself said in a video that languages change and evolve and Bon Wen's no exception. Anyone's free to collaborate on http://bonwenv2.wikispaces.com. We'll all try to make Bon Wen a "globally fit" language.

ceigered

Re: Bon Wen 2.0

Postby ceigered » 2010-04-02, 5:03

Hey K2attack,

I like your approach to try and improve Bon Wen however there are some things I think that detract from the whole experience.

Firstly:
- Phonetics: The example you give of "eta" gives 24 pronunciations - this is too much, and makes listening comprehension extremely difficult. Of course, I see that you want to keep the flexibility that you can have with allophones (e.g. t pronounced as t or d), so I'd recommend the following:
-- A) pronounced as "a" like in "father" (you could nickname this the "low" vowel)
-- I) like the "i" in igloo or the "ee" in bee. (the "high" vowel)
-- O) somewhere around the "o" in hot (English accent, NOT American), and the "oo" in book. (the "back" vowel)
then:
-- P/B) p/b sound (labial stop)
-- T/D) t/d sound (alveolar or dental stop)
-- K/G) k/g sound (velar stop)
-- M) m (labial nasal)
-- N) n (alveolar/dental nasal)
-- J) y/j (palatal "y" sound)
-- L) l (or tapped R)
-- W) w, v
(sorry if I forgot any)

They're pretty much the most common sounds in languages anyway, extrapolating past that just makes things complicated.

I'd also recommend considering re-working the grammar of the language, you don't want it too simple otherwise that'll limit the languages use to being only usable for simple things. And noone likes only ever being able to say "I am .... and I am ... years old and this language is a good language" :)

Of course you don't need to listen, I'm just giving out what I think would benefit the language. I won't go too far as I might start to impose my own style on your language (well, Arpee's language's child...)

(Also, your discussion on "What makes a fit language" seems somewhat close-minded (I'm not saying you are that, rather, that page just seems to give that impression) - remember, the world of linguistics is directly linked to the human mind for various reasons, and so you can't take a close-minded approach when trying to weigh up the benefits and problems with languages intended for international communication seeming as there is no such thing as "one" kind of person).

Cheers,
Chrisso.
ཧ་གོ་མ་སོང་། - Apparently this means "I don't understand". Unfortunately I can't verify this for an ironic reason.

Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2010-04-02, 5:20

ceigered wrote:(Also, your discussion on "What makes a fit language" seems somewhat close-minded (I'm not saying you are that, rather, that page just seems to give that impression) - remember, the world of linguistics is directly linked to the human mind for various reasons, and so you can't take a close-minded approach when trying to weigh up the benefits and problems with languages intended for international communication seeming as there is no such thing as "one" kind of person).

Wow, yeah, he is extremely close-minded, and so many things on that page are wrong in so many ways.

Also, kman1, why did you have a to make a new account? :ohwell:
Main focuses: [flag]kw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Sub focus: Plautdietsch
On my own: [flag]is[/flag]

k2attack

Postby k2attack » 2010-04-02, 14:05

ceigered wrote:- Phonetics: The example you give of "eta" gives 24 pronunciations - this is too much, and makes listening comprehension extremely difficult.

The first 8 are the most common. The other ones are rarely used. The "s", "sh", "z" and "ch" sounds are used for "t", specially when you're saying a name or a foriegn word in Bon Wen, but they're not usually used for the core words.

Chrisso, you can give suggestions in the discussions area.

Cheers!

k2attack

Postby k2attack » 2010-04-02, 14:07

Sean of the Dead wrote:
ceigered wrote:(Also, your discussion on "What makes a fit language" seems somewhat close-minded (I'm not saying you are that, rather, that page just seems to give that impression) - remember, the world of linguistics is directly linked to the human mind for various reasons, and so you can't take a close-minded approach when trying to weigh up the benefits and problems with languages intended for international communication seeming as there is no such thing as "one" kind of person).

Wow, yeah, he is extremely close-minded, and so many things on that page are wrong in so many ways.

Also, kman1, why did you have a to make a new account? :ohwell:

My page on "What makes a fit language" is based on Arpee's video and what he said on Lernu.

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2010-04-04, 17:14

Err... I wouldn't get my linguistics from Arpee, to be honest...

Satsuma

Postby Satsuma » 2010-04-04, 17:54

Renaçido wrote:Err... I wouldn't get my linguistics from Arpee, to be honest...

:)

arpee

Postby arpee » 2010-04-11, 9:56

People, this is not Bon Wen! Bon Wen is on its OFFICIAL website at:

http://www.freewebs.com/bonwen/

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2010-04-11, 15:26

arpee wrote:People, this is not Bon Wen!
No need to worry :P , it's very clear from the introduction it isn't.

Return to “Conlangs”