Language Survey

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators: Ashucky, Dormouse559

Wilimi

Language Survey

Postby Wilimi » 2010-02-06, 14:53

Hello! We are three Swedish students who have chosen to make a language for our last-year school project. The language is based on the Germanic languages English, German and Swedish. For this we have made a survey with the purpose of finding out how understandable our language is depending on what languages you speak.

The survery is anonymous and should only take a few minutes to finish. You can download the word document from filefront using this link: http://www.filefront.com/15460193/Enkt-Engelska.doc/

If you prefer, you can email us on languagesurvey@live.com and we will send you an e-mail with the survey attached. The survey will also be attached to the next post, so you can copy it from there should you be afraid of downloading the file.

When you are done with the survey, please e-mail it back to us at languagesurvey@live.com.

This is a very important part of our project and your help is very much appreciated.

Please note that we are mainly looking for people who speak english natively.

Sincerely,
William, Linnéa and Mikael

Wilimi

Re: Language Survey

Postby Wilimi » 2010-02-06, 14:55

As you already may be aware of, we are working on a school project where we are creating a language based on the Germanic languages English, German and Swedish. The purpose of this survey is to learn how easy it is to understand our language, depending on what languages you speak.
Some of the following questions have several options that you can check. On some questions you need to write your own answer according to the given instructions.

[ ] Male

Enter your age:
__

If you speak one or more of these languages as your native language, please check it/them:
[ ] English
[ ] German
[ ] Swedish
[ ] Other

If you speak one or more of these languages as your second language, please check it/them:
[ ] English
[ ] German
[ ] Swedish

Translate:
Listed below is a coherent dialogue written in the language we have created. Write your translation to the right. Please write in English.
- Hallo!
- Wat ir dine name?
- Mine name ir Adam. Ond dine?
- Ig ir Eva.
- Hoe ald ir do?
- Ig ir atten yars ald.

Listed below are separate phrases, not taken from a dialogue. Write your translation to the right. Please write in English.
- Ig haver ene swart kat.
- Do haver ene weit hund.
- Oer ball ir rod.
- Shin arbeter harty.
- Di bildte ene houser.
- Hen war nont ferste.

The following questions are optional, but we would be very grateful if you would like to answer them and help us improve our work.

What did you think was difficult?

What did you think was good?

Could anything have been done better? If so, what?

Do you have any other opinions about this language?

This is a very important part of our project, and we are very grateful that you took the time to help us.

KarenTerry

Postby KarenTerry » 2010-02-06, 15:51

Responded, also sending this to some friends. Good luck guys!

conlanger5

Postby conlanger5 » 2010-02-15, 21:28

Wilimi wrote:As you already may be aware of, we are working on a school project where we are creating a language based on the Germanic languages English, German and Swedish. The purpose of this survey is to learn how easy it is to understand our language, depending on what languages you speak.
Some of the following questions have several options that you can check. On some questions you need to write your own answer according to the given instructions.

[v] Male

Enter your age:

If you speak one or more of these languages as your native language, please check it/them:
[ ] English
[ ] German
[ ] Swedish
[v] Other

If you speak one or more of these languages as your second language, please check it/them:
[v] English
[ ] German
[ ] Swedish

Translate:
Listed below is a coherent dialogue written in the language we have created. Write your translation to the right. Please write in English.
- Hallo! Hello!
- Wat ir dine name? What is your name?
- Mine name ir Adam. Ond dine? My name is Adam. And yours?
- Ig ir Eva. I am Eva.
- Hoe ald ir do? How old are you?
- Ig ir atten yars ald. I am eighteen years old.

Listed below are separate phrases, not taken from a dialogue. Write your translation to the right. Please write in English.
- Ig haver ene swart kat. I have a smart cat.
- Do haver ene weit hund. Do you have a wet dog?
- Oer ball ir rod. Our ball is round.
- Shin arbeter harty. Sin artbeater hearty.
- Di bildte ene houser. We built a house.
- Hen war nont ferste. Hen wars isn't first.

The following questions are optional, but we would be very grateful if you would like to answer them and help us improve our work.

This is a very important part of our project, and we are very grateful that you took the time to help us.
Dërena mođëp'öso! Learn Mođëp'öso!!! We have lessons! PM is interested!
Nënom p'öso sëkaderox ek bëla.
'Pörđop'ax
/p_d2R\DopaB\/

HennethAnnun

Postby HennethAnnun » 2010-02-22, 3:05

[ ] Male

Enter your age: 17
__

[X] English
[ ] German
[ ] Swedish
[ ] Other

[ ] English
[X] German
[ ] Swedish I am beginning to learn Swedish....

Translate:

- Hallo! Hello!
- Wat ir dine name? What is your name?
- Mine name ir Adam. Ond dine? My name is Adam. And yours?
- Ig ir Eva. I am Eva.
- Hoe ald ir do? How old are you?
- Ig ir atten yars ald. I am eighteen years old.

- Ig haver ene swart kat. I have a black cat.
- Do haver ene weit hund. You have a white dog.
- Oer ball ir rod. Our ball is red.
- Shin arbeter harty. She works hard.
- Di bildte ene houser. You are building a house.
- Hen war nont ferste. He was not first.

-

-

It seems that you are conjugating the verbs in one form for each tense regardless of the subject. Swedish does this, but German and English don't. If you want to make it a mix of the two systems, perhaps you could conjugate them in two forms. Singular subjects like I, you, he, and she, could use one form (like "haver") and plural subjects like you, they, and we could use a second, (like maybe "havett" or whatever you want to do.) I think that this would be a good balance between the verb systems of all three languages.

From what I can see, I think you have done a good job and I'm happy to help you. :)

Return to “Conlangs”