How to create a fictional language?

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators: Ashucky, Dormouse559

bellamabel2018

How to create a fictional language?

Postby bellamabel2018 » 2018-05-14, 1:37

Hello everyone,
I've been creating a fictional language for a movie project, but since I'm not a student of linguistics or so (although I seriously consider becoming one), I don't know if I'm not missing something essential. By now, I have the basic grammar stuff and vocabulary done. I'd post some of it here so you can tell me whether it's structurally OK or not, but first I wanted to ask if anyone here tried the same and what methods should be used?

I have already translated some texts into that language and it seems working quite nicely, but I also wanted it to sound as alien as possible, related to the most well-known real languages. It was kinda fun :D

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Re: How to create a fictional language?

Postby kevin » 2018-05-14, 6:46

We have a whole subforum dedicated to constructed languages, so yes, you'll find people on this forum who have done the same.

I don't think there's a single answer to the question what methods should be used. It completely depends on what you want the result to be like. Essentially, if the result pleases you, you used the right method.

If you want it to sound as alien as possible to someone who doesn't know the language, then the grammar doesn't contribute much to that goal. Phonology is probably a much more important factor there.

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Re: How to create a fictional language?

Postby Dormouse559 » 2018-05-19, 2:18

I pretty much agree with kevin on your questions. A useful starting point is The Language Construction Kit. It can help you with what's probably the most common way of coming up with and presenting a conlang. But it isn't a linear process. For example, a lot of conlangers start by outlining the sounds and writing of their language and then moving on to grammar (As it happens, I do that :P ), but if another order feels more natural for you, then that's fine, too. A language is a mass of deeply interconnected parts, so there's no undisputable point of entry, and you'll probably find yourself making changes all across the conlang throughout the process.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Return to “Conlangs”