Random Conlang Questions

This forum is for constructed languages, both those invented by UniLang members and those already existing.

Moderators: Ashucky, Dormouse559

Luís
Forum Administrator

Re: Random Conlang Questions

Postby Luís » 2017-12-06, 22:44

linguoboy wrote:
Luís wrote:Has anyone read Mark Rosenfelder's books? (The Language Construction Kit and Advanced Language Construction).

I've proofread one of them. Did you have a question regarding them?

I'm just trying to figure out if they're something I'd enjoy reading or if they're mostly aimed at people with no prior knowledge of linguistics (particularly the first volume).
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-12-06, 22:52

Luís wrote:
linguoboy wrote:
Luís wrote:Has anyone read Mark Rosenfelder's books? (The Language Construction Kit and Advanced Language Construction).

I've proofread one of them. Did you have a question regarding them?

I'm just trying to figure out if they're something I'd enjoy reading or if they're mostly aimed at people with no prior knowledge of linguistics (particularly the first volume).

The first is intended to be read by those with no background in linguistics, but there's still plenty of sound advice to be gleaned from it. Knowing about linguistics isn't the same as knowing about conlinguistics. Mark has years of practical experience creating languages and he's particularly good at explaining things. A sizable chunk of the second volume is taken up with a grammatical sketch of a particular conlang and it's a terrific example of both what to include in such a treatment and the range of creative possibilities.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2017-12-07, 11:31

Thanks! I might give it a try then.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Return to “Conlangs”