ПОДЗЕМНО

Moderator:gothwolf

Nabljuduvach
ПОДЗЕМНО

Postby Nabljuduvach » 2016-02-09, 6:08

What is the meaning of "подземно" (literally, "subterranean") in the text below. Clearly, it describes something unpleasant, but unpleasant in what way?

"Получавам по 5 инфаркта на път за работа и по 5 на връщане. Не мога да се изкажа колко е подземно шофирането в България, след като идваш от Германия."

paruha

Re: ПОДЗЕМНО

Postby paruha » 2016-02-10, 22:02

Hi, Nabljuduvach.
Where did you get that text from?
This is a weird usage of the word подземно. I don't think a native speaker would use it like that. Or if she does, it would be improper... as in she couldn't think of the right word, so she used this one.

However, I can definitely say that the author meant that driving in Bulgaria seems very bad compared to Germany. Unpleasant might not describe it well since unpleasant in this case would suggest that you are the driver (or at least IMO) while you might actually be a pedestrian or a passenger.

P.S. Also "да СЕ изкажа" sounds a little off here...
Защо да харчим пари, които нямаме, за да купим неща, които не са ни нужни, така че да впечатлим хора, които не харесваме?

I don't even remember what standard deviation is.
BezierCurve: It's some important part of sadistics, I believe.

Nabljuduvach

Postby Nabljuduvach » 2016-02-11, 16:28

The person I was quoting is definitely a native speaker of Bulgarian. It was Д-р Кристина Чачева, the famous surgeon.

paruha

Postby paruha » 2016-02-14, 13:09

Nabljuduvach wrote:The person I was quoting is definitely a native speaker of Bulgarian. It was Д-р Кристина Чачева, the famous surgeon.

I think I found the article that you got the quote from.
This really is not an ordinary usage of that word though, so my guess stays that she could not think of the right word and used this one (especially since it says she's been living in Germany for 18 years).
Защо да харчим пари, които нямаме, за да купим неща, които не са ни нужни, така че да впечатлим хора, които не харесваме?

I don't even remember what standard deviation is.
BezierCurve: It's some important part of sadistics, I believe.

Woods

Postby Woods » 2016-03-28, 0:34

"Подземно" might as well mean престъпно (criminal), if you take it from "подземния свят", which would mean the underworld - maybe she means that people in Bulgaria drive like criminals? And she's right.

But it's definitely a weird usage of the word, as the others have said, and she's probably the only Bulgarian who's ever used the two words together.

Return to “Bulgarian (Български)”