Bulgarian fonts/typefaces

Moderator: gothwolf

Psi-Lord

Bulgarian fonts/typefaces

Postby Psi-Lord » 2012-09-10, 11:44

Not long ago, I found out something very interesting – that there exists a particular design for Bulgarian typefaces/fonts that, as far as I could find out, isn’t commonly seen in any other country that uses the Cyrillic alphabet. The differences can easily be seen in this picture (standard Cyrillic above, Bulgarian-flavoured design below):

Only then did I realise how common it is to see the variants in my Bulgarian materials and in pictures of outdoor ads, shops, magazines etc. Because of that, I started searching for Windows fonts designed along those lines, but I found out they’re really hard to spot, particularly if you’re looking for free stuff (but not only then). Besides the professional font in that image (Myriad Pro), I also found another professional font (Rotis Semi Serif) – but couldn’t really get any of them –, and then avataar was kind enough to get me an .OTF copy of Teams (originally a Type 1 font) from his Linux distribution.

I was wondering, then – do any of you happen to know any fonts designed that way that you could share or that one could easily download a copy of from somewhere?
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de) español rioplatense (es-AR) français (fr) 日本語 (ja) (ko) 普通話 (zh-CN) ••• العربية (ar) български (bg) magyar (hu) italiano (it) lingua Latina (la) polski (pl) ภาษาไทย (th) Türkçe (tr) (vi)

language learner

Re: Bulgarian fonts/typefaces

Postby language learner » 2012-09-10, 11:57

I didn't know that that font was specifically made for Bulgarian. I dislike it, since in it the cyrillic к looks entirely like the latin k, and so do ж and sometimes ю. The vertical lines of these three letters к ж and ю have never reached the height of capital letters.
Other than that, I barely see any difference, just minor stylistic variations.

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2015-08-01, 21:51

This is an old thread, and I haven’t been around UniLang in ages, but I chanced upon this discussion today and couldn’t help not returning here to link to it: https://github.com/googlei18n/noto-fonts/issues/89.
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de) español rioplatense (es-AR) français (fr) 日本語 (ja) (ko) 普通話 (zh-CN) ••• العربية (ar) български (bg) magyar (hu) italiano (it) lingua Latina (la) polski (pl) ภาษาไทย (th) Türkçe (tr) (vi)

Woods

Postby Woods » 2015-10-02, 20:55

I totally agree with language learner - ж, к and ю are not supposed to go up like the Latin k - this font is fucked up.

I also don't like the small т looking like an m, but this one is at least pretty common. Indeed the lowercase т / т usually looks that way when the font is in italics only. I personally would never write it that way or select a font with this variant for printing.

Stefan Peev

Postby Stefan Peev » 2017-01-20, 10:24

You could find a lot of free fonts with modern form of Bulgarian Cyrillic here: http://localfonts.eu/bulgarian-cyrillic/
And here are two issues about the modern form of Bulgarian Cyrillic:
Botio Nikoltchev: What shall be done for Bulgarian Cyrillic .loclBGR
Krista Radoeva: Cyrillic script variations and the importance of localisation
Last edited by Stefan Peev on 2017-04-16, 19:19, edited 4 times in total.

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2017-04-29, 19:17

I find the font Intro so good-looking. It was made by Fontfabric, which is a Bulgarian font foundry. The foundry to which the font belongs also provides a free download link to the font if you're excited to try it, or a purchase link if you will use the font on publications.

(The style of the font used in the picture is Book Alt).
(tr) (el) (ka) (tk) (en) (ga)

Return to “Bulgarian (Български)”