How do I write , 'I am an experimental artist and writer' in theUkrainian language?

Moderator:TheStrayCat

cib
How do I write , 'I am an experimental artist and writer' in theUkrainian language?

Postby cib » 2019-02-13, 19:32

TheStrayCat
Language Forum Moderator

Re: How do I write , 'I am an experimental artist and writer' in theUkrainian language?

Postby TheStrayCat » 2019-02-22, 3:14

I would say "я художник і письменник-експериментатор".

ges_651

Re: How do I write , 'I am an experimental artist and writer' in theUkrainian language?

Postby ges_651 » 2022-08-04, 7:00

You should write the sentence as follows: "Я художник-експериментатор і письменник українською мовою".
Posted By Sim Ges

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2022-08-04, 20:35

ges_651 wrote:You should write the sentence as follows: "Я художник-експериментатор і письменник українською мовою".

What makes you think you can improve on a sentence composed by a fluent Ukrainian-English bilingual? Your profile doesn't list any other languages known besides American English.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-08-04, 21:00

linguoboy wrote:
ges_651 wrote:You should write the sentence as follows: "Я художник-експериментатор і письменник українською мовою".

What makes you think you can improve on a sentence composed by a fluent Ukrainian-English bilingual? Your profile doesn't list any other languages known besides American English.

Sim Ges's translation also includes the words "in the Ukrainian language" (українською мовою), which weren't meant to be part of the requested translation.
But I'd love to know what languages "Sim Ges" knows. His posts have translated Ukrainian, Finnish, German, Korean, Russian, etc., but do seem to often misunderstand what is being asked.
I think there's some machine translation at work here.

TheStrayCat
Language Forum Moderator

Postby TheStrayCat » 2022-08-04, 23:40

Right, the "in the Ukrainian language" part clearly wasn't a part of the message OP wanted translated. Also, "письменник українською мовою" does not sound really idiomatic to me as a native speaker - just like "a writer in the English language" (rather than "an English-language writer") probably wouldn't be exactly right either.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-08-04, 23:51

TheStrayCat wrote:Right, the "in the Ukrainian language" part clearly wasn't a part of the message OP wanted translated. Also, "письменник українською мовою" does not sound really idiomatic to me as a native speaker - just like "a writer in the English language" (rather than "an English-language writer") probably wouldn't be exactly right either.

Я художник-експериментатор і письменник українською мовою is exactly what you get if you plug I am an experimental artist and writer in the Ukrainian language into Google Translate - I just tried it.
So yeah, not idiomatic but machinetranslatese, and I guess now we know where it came from.
:ohwell:

Return to “Ukrainian (Українська)”