Adopted Son wrote this sentence. Please help translate

Moderator:TheStrayCat

NeilKY
Adopted Son wrote this sentence. Please help translate

Postby NeilKY » 2018-07-15, 14:59

We adopted a boy from ukraine and he hand wrote this sentence, told us it was for us to read but he did it with the expectation that we wouldn't understand it. He refused to type it on a computer also.

So we want to surprise him but need help translating since we don't speak any Ukrainian. Can any native help us translate please?

https://i.imgur.com/O88Vg62_d.jpg?maxwi ... ity=medium

silmeth

Re: Adopted Son wrote this sentence. Please help translate

Postby silmeth » 2018-07-16, 13:28

I am not a native, but I’ll try my best to decipher it.

It looks to me something like: Мені сумно тому що я потіряв свого друга чорно і трошки зеленого. (Meni sumno tomu ščo ja potiriav svoho druha čorno i trošky zelenoho.)

Which would mean something along the lines of: I am sad because I lost my friend[,] blackly and a bit of green.

The word потіряв (if I read it correctly) does not exist in standard Ukrainian dictionaries, but it looks like a Ukrainianized past tense of Russian word потерять ‘to lose (sb, sth)’. I would expect я втратив in Ukrainian for ‘I lost’, but потіряв seems to be Googleable. But I might have misread that, and it might be saying something completely different.

The ending чорно і трошки зеленого ‘blackly and a bit of green’ makes no sense to me. The last word could have been intended to be зелено and written by mistake as зеленого (but the genitive ending -ого is written in a pretty clear manner), then it would literally mean ‘blackly and a bit greenly’ which I would understand as ‘[the world is; I feel] black and a bit green’, where colours would possibly be describing the mood. But I actually have no idea.

Best as I wrote, I am not a native, Cyrillic is not my native script, so I could have read it badly, so wait for somebody better in Ukrainian than me to comment.
polszczyzna jest moją mową ojczystą (pl), Is í Gaelainn na Mumhan atá á foghlaim agam (ga) ((ga-M)), mám, myslím, dobrou znalost češtiny, rozumím a něco mluvím (cs), Jeg lærer meg bokmål på Duolingo (no-nb) (og eg ville lære nynorsk ein gong (no-nn))

NeilKY

Re: Adopted Son wrote this sentence. Please help translate

Postby NeilKY » 2018-07-17, 19:33

Wow! that's perfect, we know exactly what he means! (His cell phone with the green and black case :)

He speaks both russian and ukrainian so he probably mixed them together. That's great! Thanks for the huge help

Return to “Ukrainian (Українська)”