Чорнобиль

Moderator:TheStrayCat

luap
Чорнобиль

Postby luap » 2006-07-02, 1:15

Good evening, I have a question relating to the meaning of the word "Чорнобыл" - I know that it is the name of the power plant but does it mean Black City or something as Russian for Black is "Чернота" and the Ukrainian for black is "чорний"

Thank you

Pavel

Nukalurk

Postby Nukalurk » 2006-07-02, 6:13

"чёрный" is the Russian equivalent for "чорний". The Russian word "чернота" means "blackness".

The Ukrainian name for the city is "Чорнобиль" (и is more or less the same sound as the Russian "ы"), and the Russian "Чернобыль".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl#Name_origin

The city was named after the Ukrainian word for mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris), which is "chornobyl". The word is a combination of chornyi (чорний, black) and byllia (билля, grass blades or stalks); hence it literally means black grass or black stalks

luap

Postby luap » 2006-07-02, 18:46

Amikeco wrote:"чёрный" is the Russian equivalent for "чорний". The Russian word "чернота" means "blackness".

The Ukrainian name for the city is "Чорнобиль" (и is more or less the same sound as the Russian "ы"), and the Russian "Чернобыль".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl#Name_origin

The city was named after the Ukrainian word for mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris), which is "chornobyl". The word is a combination of chornyi (чорний, black) and byllia (билля, grass blades or stalks); hence it literally means black grass or black stalks

Thank you for that

ryurkovich

Re: Чорнобиль

Postby ryurkovich » 2017-12-23, 20:51

"The word is a combination of chornyi (чорний, black) and byllia (билля, grass blades or stalks); hence it literally means black grass or black stalks"

^ I am curious about this statement. I've looked up the word билля in a bunch of dictionaries and it never translates to grass or stalks. Is this the right translation?

RCA

Re: Чорнобиль

Postby RCA » 2017-12-24, 16:23

Yes, the translation is correct. The word for stalk traditionally used in Ukrainian was билина (the modern word is стебло), while билля is a collective noun, which thus means stalks (taken as a whole, as an uncountable mass) or simply grass. The suffix -ин means unity and is similar to the English numeral one or article an, it is often used to form words meaning one thing of a set, usually a large and uncountable one.

And this is the chornobyl herb with its characteristic dark stalk:

'A vita è 'n'affacciata 'e fenesta.

Return to “Ukrainian (Українська)”