Vietnamese on the Wikipedia

Psi-Lord

Vietnamese on the Wikipedia

Postby Psi-Lord » 2005-07-05, 11:41

I was browsing around the Wikipedia and found these articles I'd like to mention here.

I hope they're interesting—and can be useful somehow. :)
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2005-07-05, 20:37

Cám ơn anh, Psi-Lord.
Thank you, Psi-Lord. ;)
Neferuj paħujkij!

Kasuya

Re: Vietnamese on the Wikipedia

Postby Kasuya » 2009-02-06, 17:46

Can someone with high level Vietnamese please comment on the general quality of articles in the Vietnamese wikipedia? Are they generally well-written and factually based?

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2009-02-07, 6:32

lichtrausch wrote:Can someone with high level Vietnamese please comment on the general quality of articles in the Vietnamese Wikipedia? Are they generally well-written and factually based?

I rarely visit it but I notice that:
- Articles on pop culture usually comprise only a few lines each (though there are also long ones, like the one about The Simpsons).
- Articles on nations usually have Vietnam-centered bits of information, like the date the country in question set up formal relation with Vietnam.
- Articles on politics have a careful tone, since this category is some sort of edit-battlefield.
- Articles on sex and sexuality exhibit the squeamish, preachy, conservative attitude of Vietnam's society when it comes to those matters.
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2009-02-07, 8:25

Another thing is a little overweight on Northern-based Vietnamese. It's a pain to find out about the vowels used in the South until our dear Draven was kind enough to tell me.
Neferuj paħujkij!

abcdefg

Postby abcdefg » 2009-02-07, 13:49

Most scientific articles are stubs or (weirdly) translated from English. But when it comes to Vietnamese-owned stuffs like folklore, folk music, traditional festivals, Nôm script etc, they're very amusing and intense.
Another thing is a little overweight on Northern-based Vietnamese. It's a pain to find out about the vowels used in the South until our dear Draven was kind enough to tell me.

Hanoi dialect is still considered standard though :mrgreen:

-----------------------------------------
[Moderator's note: Topic continued here]
Tôi kể người nghe chuyện Phố-trong-sông,
chuyện những mùa Đông đi qua thời con gái.
Bóng đổ dài, bước chân người mê mải
Gió chở mùa về,
hoang hoải cả giấc mơ..

Kasuya

Postby Kasuya » 2009-02-08, 18:23

Cheers for the info. :thanks:

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2009-03-13, 18:25

JackFrost wrote:Another thing is a little overweight on Northern-based Vietnamese. It's a pain to find out about the vowels used in the South until our dear Draven was kind enough to tell me.

That drives me crazy! There is no point in learning Northern Vietnamese unless you are actually going to Vietnam! All of the immigrants and children of immigrants are Southern speakers. I tried so hard, but it took a combination of Draven and my Vietnamese friends to get me something similar to a decent accent. :D

Anyway, in music, I find the Northern dialect buzzy. Words like giả with a [z] just sounds weird.
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Ser

Postby Ser » 2009-03-13, 22:26

Why doesn't someone add the information on Southern Vietnamese phonology to Wikipedia?

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2009-03-13, 22:32

Neqitan wrote:Why doesn't someone add the information on Southern Vietnamese phonology to Wikipedia?

Doesn’t that of Ho Chi Minh City qualify as such, as opposed to that of Hanoi?
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

Ser

Postby Ser » 2009-03-13, 22:41

Psi-Lord wrote:
Neqitan wrote:Why doesn't someone add the information on Southern Vietnamese phonology to Wikipedia?

...? What do you mean? :? I just noticed this people here discussing they wanted to know more on southern dialects... Myself, I know near nothing about Vietnamese.

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2009-03-13, 22:50

Neqitan wrote:
Psi-Lord wrote:

...? What do you mean? :? I just noticed this people here discussing they wanted to know more on southern dialects... Myself, I know near nothing about Vietnamese.

I mean, the article on Vietnamese phonology basically focus on the language as spoken in Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi. The article on Vietnamese itself presents the language of Hanoi as part of Northern Vietnamese, and that of Ho Chi Minh City (there still called Saigon) as part of Southern Vietnamese. So, for me, they do have information on both Southern and Northern Vietnamese, which is why I didn’t understand why you suggested that someone should add info on the former, and thought I was missing something.

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2009-03-14, 3:59

Saigon (or if you prefer, Standard Southern) phonology is included in the article. My problem with it is that it doesn't do a good job at representing my speech. :P

----------------------------------
[Moderator's note: Topic continued here]
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

Return to “South East Asian Languages”