Thai (ไทย)

ling
Re: Thai borrowings from other languages

Postby ling » 2012-09-01, 1:52

sukritact wrote:Well, I know a couple of words that sound similar to words in other languages.

Bahasa (Bahasa Indonesia) ภาษา

Both from Sanskrit भाषा bhāṣā

from chinese
椅子 เก้าอี้ (the yi in both words)

Wouldn't surprise me if it's from 高椅

面条 ก๋วยเตี๋ยว

From Hokkien (Chaozhou?) 粿條 koe tiau

Chaozhou or Teochew (closely related to Hokkien) is a source of lots of Thai loanwords over the last few centuries.

From english you get stuff like lift, football, computer, I like what it does with words like telephone and television though!

โทร = tele

Hindi: दूर dūra
ศัพท์ = word

Hindi: शब्द śabda

so โทรศัพท์ = telephone.

I love it!
Native: [flag=]en[/flag] Advanced: [flag=]zh[/flag] Actively studying: [flag=]th[/flag][flag=]id[/flag] Passively dabbling: [flag=]lkt[/flag]

marc005

Re: what does ต้องการ mean?

Postby marc005 » 2012-09-01, 2:37

want = ต้องการ
need = อยาก

モモンガ

Lao Language

Postby モモンガ » 2012-09-05, 17:21

There is not any thread on Lao on Unilang :(

I learned some Lao this year, and I can make a few sentences.

Lao is often said to be a dialect of Thai, so I am starting this thread in Thai forum.

Laos is a poor country, moreover only 55% of people are native Lao.
10% speaks Khmu (relater to Khmer) and 8% do Hmong.
THere is plenty of other ethnic groups.

Lao is said to be one language with Isan dialect of Thailand.

Websites:
[flag]en[/flag]http://www.seasite.niu.edu/lao/
[flag]ja[/flag]http://www.coelang.tufs.ac.jp/modules/lo/index.html
[flag]ja[/flag]http://www.geocities.jp/pasalao_yipun/yipun/tabi/index-tabi.html
[flag]fr[/flag]http://laocom.free.fr/
[flag]tr[/flag]Türkçe [flag]vi[/flag]㗂越[flag]lo[/flag]ພາສາລາວ[flag]tet[/flag]Prasa Tetun

bluejay390

Re: Lao Language

Postby bluejay390 » 2012-09-22, 17:55

So, how similar are Thai and Lao? How much Lao will someone who speaks or learns Thai understand? I would like to learn some Lao one day. And Hmong. XD

And just so this post isn't completely useless, here's a beautiful traditional Lao dance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl1TZNXTs3c
Selamat tidur kekasih gelapku♪♫

Meera

Postby Meera » 2012-09-28, 1:47

Omg! It reminds me so much of Indian dances!!

And I never knew Lao was a dialect of Thai? :shock: That is really good to know though. Laos is very interesting.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

ling

Postby ling » 2012-09-29, 5:32

Meera wrote:Omg! It reminds me so much of Indian dances!!

Yup. Many traditional dances of Laos, Thailand, Cambodia and Indonesia have their roots in India.
Native: [flag=]en[/flag] Advanced: [flag=]zh[/flag] Actively studying: [flag=]th[/flag][flag=]id[/flag] Passively dabbling: [flag=]lkt[/flag]

Saim

Postby Saim » 2012-09-29, 7:51

Meera wrote:And I never knew Lao was a dialect of Thai? :shock: That is really good to know though. Laos is very interesting.

Not really. It's a dialect of Thai in the same sense Punjabi (for Laotian Lao) or Haryanvi (for Thailand Lao/Insaan) is a dialect of Hindi.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2012-10-04, 20:15

Saim wrote:
Meera wrote:And I never knew Lao was a dialect of Thai? :shock: That is really good to know though. Laos is very interesting.

Not really. It's a dialect of Thai in the same sense Punjabi (for Laotian Lao) or Haryanvi (for Thailand Lao/Insaan) is a dialect of Hindi.

Oh okay. So they wouldnt be understandable? I mean Hindi and Punjabi are really similair but I dont think a Hindi speaker could watch Punjabi news and clearly understand everything.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Saim

Postby Saim » 2012-10-05, 13:07

It is like Punjabi and Hindi - there is a degree of intelligibility because they're closely related, but AFAIK it's still better to treat them as separate languages. Even Northern and Southern Thai could be considered separate languages from Central Thai, not just Northeastern Thai/Lao.

モモンガ

Postby モモンガ » 2012-10-27, 17:24

Thanks for the interest everyone.
yes, I think maybe it's not so similar to be considered a dialect... maybe it's like with Germany and its dialects that some linguists consider different languages (High and Low German).

So, how similar are Thai and Lao? How much Lao will someone who speaks or learns Thai understand? I would like to learn some Lao one day. And Hmong. XD

Well, I don't know much myself, since I have studied only basics of the two languages, but I think after some exposure one can understand the others speech.
So maybe they are like Estonian and Finnish.
[flag]tr[/flag]Türkçe [flag]vi[/flag]㗂越[flag]lo[/flag]ພາສາລາວ[flag]tet[/flag]Prasa Tetun

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-02-01, 2:34

So, we do have a thread for Lao here. Good, I don't have to make one. Though this is quite an odd place to have it. Maybe a mod can move it to the "Other Languages" section. As has already been pointed out above, Lao is not a dialect of Thai.

I have quite a few resources for Lao (well, the few to be had in English), and I've been giving some very serious thought to studying it a bit after the Powwow ends. I'd probably start slowly, going through Basic Lao, which is basically a primer on the writing system and a very short and simple grammar/vocabulary. I'm not 100% sold on this yet. Though I am feeling like doing something tonal to challenge myself. :P

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2013-02-01, 2:39

księżycowy wrote:So, we do have a thread for Lao here. Good, I don't have to make one. Though this is quite an odd place to have it. Maybe a mod can move it to the "Other Languages" section. As has already been pointed out above, Lao is not a dialect of Thai.

I have quite a few resources for Lao (well, the few to be had in English), and I've been giving some very serious thought to studying it a bit after the Powwow ends. I'd probably start slowly, going through Basic Lao, which is basically a primer on the writing system and a very short and simple grammar/vocabulary. I'm not 100% sold on this yet. Though I am feeling like doing something tonal to challenge myself. :P

Do Lhasa Tibetan with me! :mrgreen:
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2013-02-01, 2:49

I should expand that a bit: Though I am feeling like doing something tonal/Non-Indo-European* to challenge myself.

Lowena wrote:Do Lhasa Tibetan with me! :mrgreen:

Perhaps. I'm certainly not committing to it at this point thought. Hell, I'm not even committing to adding a fourth after my month of Iñupiaq. Time shall tell.

*No, I'm not counting my musings in Native American languages.

sukritact

Re: เกม: คนถัดไป....

Postby sukritact » 2013-02-19, 16:12

ผมพอพูดเป็นครับ

คนถัดไปอ่านภาษาลาวไม่ออกแต่เคยพยายามที่จะอ่าน
I'm most fluent in English (native-ish?) and I'm also fluent in Thai (native, although not as good as my English). Reasonable level of fluency in Mandarin Chinese and Spanish and an aspiring learner of Swedish.

bluejay390

Videos / วิดีโอ

Postby bluejay390 » 2013-02-21, 1:10

Let's share some videos in Thai!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aS9ykGe7rU

bluejay390

Music / ดนตรี

Postby bluejay390 » 2013-02-21, 1:13

Who else here likes Thai music? :D I don't know too many artists but I like Thai music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHgabkiDXK4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9xS5CIS4xg

הענט

translation

Postby הענט » 2013-04-16, 16:11

Hi. I have a favor to ask. What does this sentence mean. It's not written in the Thai alphabet, but
maybe someone will get the meaning. All I can translate is: You, Thai language and Chinese language.

Khun miru keiyw kab pha'sa thiy laea pha'sa cin. Khun ngo pen phuying!!!

Unknown

Re: translation

Postby Unknown » 2013-04-16, 16:18

Besides what you translated, all I remember also is that "lea" means "and". I forgot a lot of Thai, so we'll have to wait for a native speaker.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2013-04-16, 16:32

Oh. Sure Cesare. :)

sukritact

Postby sukritact » 2013-04-16, 17:04

I'd say:

"คุณมิรู้เกี่ยวกับภาษาไทยและภาษาจีน คุณโง่เป็นผู้หญิง/You don't know about Thai and Chinese. You're stupid is a girl!!!".

If this is the case then it's not grammatically correct of course, but the way it's written suggests it's not by a native speaker anyway (Thai "Karaoke" is not usually written like this, they're using "คุณ"with "โง่", the choice of words, etc).

I'm guessing they used Google translate, "คุณโง่เป็นผู้หญิง" gets me "You stupid girl" in English.
I'm most fluent in English (native-ish?) and I'm also fluent in Thai (native, although not as good as my English). Reasonable level of fluency in Mandarin Chinese and Spanish and an aspiring learner of Swedish.

Return to “South East Asian Languages”