Thai (ไทย)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Thai (ไทย)

Postby vijayjohn » 2013-12-16, 5:33

sukritact wrote:I hope you don't mind me commenting on this.

I don't mind at all! Thanks so much! I hope you don't mind if I have a few follow-up questions for you, though. :D

"พวกนาย", a phrase in the casual register, sounds strange here IMHO, since you've started with "ผม", which is in the formal register.

Would the casual register equivalent of "ผม" be "เรา"?

A bit strange, since it's the equivalent of declaring "I study Thai" as opposed to "I'm studying Thai", though it feels a more awkward in Thai than in English.

Wait, I'm a little confused. If I said "ผมเรียนภาษาไทยอยู่ครับ" would that mean "I study Thai" or "I'm studying Thai"? If it means "I study Thai," how would you say "I'm studying Thai"? Would you have to use "กำลัง" or something?

This feels strange phrased as two distinct statements. I probably would have said "ที่นี่มีช่างตัดผมคนหนึ่งที่เป็นคนไทยและเป็นเพื่อนของครอบครัวผม". If you do want to keep it two distinct statements however, introduce "เขา" at the beginning of the second statement.

Ah, so is "ที่" a relativizer (non-interrogative "who"? Or just "that"?) in addition to meaning 'in'?

ling

Postby ling » 2013-12-16, 5:52

Yes, ที่ acts as a relative pronoun (who, that, which). A very useful feature. I wish Chinese had an equivalent... it would make relative clauses in Chinese much less clunky.
Native: [flag=]en[/flag] Advanced: [flag=]zh[/flag] Actively studying: [flag=]th[/flag][flag=]id[/flag] Passively dabbling: [flag=]lkt[/flag]

sukritact

Postby sukritact » 2013-12-17, 4:30

Would the casual register equivalent of "ผม" be "เรา"?
There's also "กู" (but this is vulgar; I think its appropriateness is similar to "fuck", so use only with close friends), and more recently (used in groups with more exposure to English) "I" (loaned from English along with "you", both behave as singular pronouns, so you can use "พวก I" and "พวก you", however, both are only sparingly used).

I suggest sticking with "เรา" however. Though I warn that Thai notions of when each should be used is different from Western standards; with people you don't really know well you must use the formal.

Wait, I'm a little confused. If I said "ผมเรียนภาษาไทยอยู่ครับ" would that mean "I study Thai" or "I'm studying Thai"? If it means "I study Thai," how would you say "I'm studying Thai"? Would you have to use "กำลัง" or something?
"ผมเรียนภาษาไทยอยู่ครับ" means "I'm studying Thai". "กำลัง" can also signal the continuous but it implies that the action is currently and actively ongoing whereas "อยู่" can sorta mean that you are studying, but perhaps not at the present moment.
I'm most fluent in English (native-ish?) and I'm also fluent in Thai (native, although not as good as my English). Reasonable level of fluency in Mandarin Chinese and Spanish and an aspiring learner of Swedish.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2013-12-23, 6:54

sukritact wrote:There's also "กู" (but this is vulgar; I think its appropriateness is similar to "fuck", so use only with close friends), and more recently (used in groups with more exposure to English) "I" (loaned from English along with "you", both behave as singular pronouns, so you can use "พวก I" and "พวก you", however, both are only sparingly used).

I suggest sticking with "เรา" however. Though I warn that Thai notions of when each should be used is different from Western standards; with people you don't really know well you must use the formal.

OK, thanks. In that case, I'll stick with ผม and (พวก)คุณ around here, since I don't know the few people who speak Thai here too well.

"ผมเรียนภาษาไทยอยู่ครับ" means "I'm studying Thai". "กำลัง" can also signal the continuous but it implies that the action is currently and actively ongoing whereas "อยู่" can sorta mean that you are studying, but perhaps not at the present moment.

That's exactly what I was hoping for, thanks again! (I just asked because I wanted to make sure you weren't saying my sentence sounded odd even after you corrected it).

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-01-03, 18:07

ling wrote:Yes, ที่ acts as a relative pronoun (who, that, which). A very useful feature. I wish Chinese had an equivalent... it would make relative clauses in Chinese much less clunky.

Sorry, I had read this post before, but I just wanted to make sure to say thanks for posting this, too. :D

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-02-20, 1:43

ยังมีคนอยากเรียนหรือพูดภาษาไทยไหมครับ :)

Intended meaning: Is there still anybody who wants to learn or speak Thai?

ling

Postby ling » 2014-02-20, 4:57

I am interested.
Native: [flag=]en[/flag] Advanced: [flag=]zh[/flag] Actively studying: [flag=]th[/flag][flag=]id[/flag] Passively dabbling: [flag=]lkt[/flag]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-03-11, 5:57

ดีมากครับ คุณสบายดีหรือครับ
Very good! How are you doing?

ผมต้องทบทวนภาษาไทยอีกครั้งครับ แต่ยากไปหน่อย
I need to review Thai, but it's a little (too) hard/it's kind of hard.

sukritact

Postby sukritact » 2014-03-18, 13:12

vijayjohn wrote:ดีมากครับ คุณสบายดีหรือไหมครับ

On that note, it's unusual to use "ดีมาก" to respond to "how are you", you usually just say "สบายดีครับ".
I'm most fluent in English (native-ish?) and I'm also fluent in Thai (native, although not as good as my English). Reasonable level of fluency in Mandarin Chinese and Spanish and an aspiring learner of Swedish.

Meera

Postby Meera » 2014-03-27, 17:02

अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-04-01, 0:49

Meera wrote:It sounds so beautiful.

Yeah, I liked that song, too! I've never heard any Thai traditional songs before (unless you count "Loy Krathong," I guess lol), so thanks! :)

sukritact wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:ดีมากครับ คุณสบายดีหรือไหมครับ

:? What's wrong with saying คุณสบายดีหรือครับ here? Isn't it a pretty common (formal) expression for 'how are you'?

On that note, it's unusual to use "ดีมาก" to respond to "how are you", you usually just say "สบายดีครับ".

But I wasn't using it that way. I was just saying it's very good that ling is interested in learning/speaking Thai. :P

Meera

Postby Meera » 2014-04-16, 3:03

vijayjohn wrote:
Meera wrote:It sounds so beautiful.

Yeah, I liked that song, too! I've never heard any Thai traditional songs before (unless you count "Loy Krathong," I guess lol), so thanks! :)

Haha I didn't even know it was tradtional. :P Ive been listening to Thai radio and the music is so pretty.
अहिंसा/เจ

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2014-04-27, 18:35

Meera wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVt_rXrNoYg

It sounds so beautiful.

Is it in Lao? :P
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2014-05-01, 5:49

I think it's Thai. I don't knothe diffirences between Thai and Lao though, so I'm not sure.
अहिंसा/เจ

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2014-05-04, 2:33

विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-05-13, 18:51

I don't know whether anybody is still interested in learning/speaking Thai, but I'll just send out a generic greeting to everybody anyway:

สวัสดีครับ สบายดีไหมครับ
Meera wrote:Haha I didn't even know it was tradtional. :P

I just said that because it said "Thai song traditional" in the title of that video. :D

TeneReef wrote:Isaan is a dialect of Lao: :P :mrgreen:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isan_language

I'm far from being an expert on any of this, but I'm not sure that song is in Isan language. It has /r/s and consonant clusters in it, even though I'm pretty sure Isan language has neither of these, although I think the song also has that sentence-final particle /bɔ/ (which doesn't exist in Standard Thai but I guess could've been borrowed from Isan language).

Thon

Postby Thon » 2014-05-17, 2:46

ยังมีคนอยากเรียนหรือพูดภาษาไทยไหมครับ

IsitjustmeordoesThaireallyhavenospaces?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2014-05-17, 10:41

It's not just you. And it's the same for most East Asian languages.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-07-15, 20:49

Yeah, Thai script doesn't generally use spaces to separate words. The use of spaces in Thai script tends to be more like the use of punctuation in Roman script; you use spaces where in English you might use commas or periods, and there is no upper/lowercase difference either.

so ifenglishwasthai itwouldlookmorelikethis evenifistartedadifferentsentence istillwouldntusepunctuation

iwouldntevendoitifistartedanewparagraph evenquestionsdontnecessarilyhavepunctuationattheend doyouseewhatimean

ผมอยากพูดภาษาไทยครับ แต่กลัวไม่มีคนที่อยากพูดภาษาไทยด้วยครับ
Intended meaning: I want to speak Thai, but I'm afraid nobody else wants to speak it.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-08-24, 4:47

Nobody seems to have posted anything in Thai since the last time I posted something here, so I think I'll just use this thread to review vocab that I came across in this Thai textbook for kids. There's a version of that textbook that students of Thai can use to learn new words, so I'll post the words I may not have remembered too well here.

Actually, y'know what? I think I'll divide this up into sets:

Set #1
to look for = หา
to pour = เท
to smear = ทา
to scratch = เกา
to bark = เห่า
to scold for barking = ดุไม่ให้เห่า
to threaten = ขู่
hissing = ฟู่ฟู่

More sets (I'll expand on and figure out how to organize them later :P):
monkey = ลิง