What is special about Vietnamese language in general?

Pangu
Re: What is special about Vietnamese language in general?

Postby Pangu » 2012-11-21, 15:31

korn wrote:clicking on the link I couldn't find the definition..... but judging I would say it's not a reliable source at all....

Google isn't a reliable source? Okaaay ;)

Even if we ignore the definition of special as being "better", there is still the other argument of Vietnamese is unique (one definition of special) for using Roman letters.

There is nothing unique about using Roman letters. Just how is it unique to use one of the most widely used scripts in the world? Or how is it unique to not have your own script?

korn

Postby korn » 2012-11-22, 1:14

Pangu wrote:
korn wrote:clicking on the link I couldn't find the definition..... but judging I would say it's not a reliable source at all....

Hi there,
could you please tell me since when Google became a source of it's own...? it was new to me Google is a second dictionary.com. I thought Google was just searching and collecting data from other sites...
Regards.
Please correct all my mistakes, no matter how trivial they may seem to you, also, please help me to improve my phrases. Thank you in advance!
---
S'il vous plaît, corrigez toutes mes fautes, même si elles vous paraissent insignifiantes. Et aidez-moi, s'il vous plaît, à améliorer ma façon de m'exprimer. Merci d'avance!
---
Nếu tôi viết chỗ nào chưa đúng, dù là lỗi nhỏ hay nghiêm trọng, thì các bạn hãy sửa lại giúp tôi hoặc góp ý để tôi có thể học hỏi và rút kinh nghiệm. Cám ơn các bạn nhé!

Pangu

Postby Pangu » 2012-11-22, 15:57

korn wrote:
Pangu wrote:

Hi there,
could you please tell me since when Google became a source of it's own...? it was new to me Google is a second dictionary.com. I thought Google was just searching and collecting data from other sites...
Regards.

Google hasn't been just a search engine for many years. Just look at the numerous services Google provides. Off the top of my head I can think of Google Translate.

But please get back to the point...

korn

Postby korn » 2013-03-28, 20:59

What I forgot: I think another aspect that makes Vietnamese special - besides those aspects I mentioned earlier - is, it has no universal pronoun. So when directly addressing, greeting and talking to someone would always depend on the context.

E.g. addressing/ talking to someone "Em ơi"; "Anh yêu em."; "Em cho anh cái này." etc. greetings "Cháu chào Chú"; "Anh chào em."; etc. (while xin chào is very formal and usually not used in direct conversation.)
Please correct all my mistakes, no matter how trivial they may seem to you, also, please help me to improve my phrases. Thank you in advance!
---
S'il vous plaît, corrigez toutes mes fautes, même si elles vous paraissent insignifiantes. Et aidez-moi, s'il vous plaît, à améliorer ma façon de m'exprimer. Merci d'avance!
---
Nếu tôi viết chỗ nào chưa đúng, dù là lỗi nhỏ hay nghiêm trọng, thì các bạn hãy sửa lại giúp tôi hoặc góp ý để tôi có thể học hỏi và rút kinh nghiệm. Cám ơn các bạn nhé!

Pangu

Postby Pangu » 2013-03-30, 16:30

korn wrote:What I forgot: I think another aspect that makes Vietnamese special - besides those aspects I mentioned earlier - is, it has no universal pronoun. So when directly addressing, greeting and talking to someone would always depend on the context.

E.g. addressing/ talking to someone "Em ơi"; "Anh yêu em."; "Em cho anh cái này." etc. greetings "Cháu chào Chú"; "Anh chào em."; etc. (while xin chào is very formal and usually not used in direct conversation.)

Actually there are universal pronouns. IIRC "I" is tau and I don't remember "you". But from what I understand, it's considered "rude" to use them unless you are very very close to the person. For example, my Vietnamese wife uses those pronouns with her three closest friends who she grew up with.

Also using "titles" as pronouns is hardly unique to Vietnamese. In Classical Chinese it's also considered rude to address someone directly, so titles are generally used instead. Even in modern Chinese, it's still considered rude to address "superiors" (including those older than you) with just "you". For example, when I speak to my grandfather, I would never use "you", instead I would use "grandfather".

urjkeenz

Postby urjkeenz » 2014-06-04, 5:15

> Its grammar is so flexible that sometimes it's confusing and can express the wrong idea. For examples, try to translate all of these sentences. Keep in mind that each of them has its own meaning. If you can translate them all to the sentences of the same length in English, I'll give you cookies <3

Sao không bảo nó đến?

Nó đến sao không bảo?

Bảo sao nó không đến!

Đến sao không bảo nó?

Không sao, bảo nó đến!

Sao nó không bảo đến?

Sao nó bảo không đến?

Nó không đến, bảo sao...

Sao không? Bảo nó đến!

Nó đến sao bảo không?

.v.v...

Return to “South East Asian Languages”