Anyone studying Vietnamese?

User avatar
ILuvEire
Posts: 10398
Joined: 2007-12-08, 17:41
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Postby ILuvEire » 2007-12-09, 5:12

hanumizzle wrote:
ILuvEire wrote:PS Sorry I can't type the diacritics...stupid computer! As you hopefully know, hoa (fire) and hoa (flower) are pronounced differently...I just cant type it.


You could use the VIQR mnemonic characters.


Huh? I have tried memorizing the ALT codes but they take WAY to long.

User avatar
hanumizzle
Posts: 2932
Joined: 2007-06-22, 23:02
Gender: male
Location: concat(List.intersperse " " (map (x -> reverse x) ["lol", "tuw"]))
Country: US United States (United States)

Postby hanumizzle » 2007-12-09, 5:15

ILuvEire wrote:
hanumizzle wrote:
ILuvEire wrote:PS Sorry I can't type the diacritics...stupid computer! As you hopefully know, hoa (fire) and hoa (flower) are pronounced differently...I just cant type it.


You could use the VIQR mnemonic characters.


Huh? I have tried memorizing the ALT codes but they take WAY to long.


http://vietunicode.sourceforge.net/charset/viqr.html
Oleksij wrote:i wouldn't believe she's a psychiatrist in a million years
more like a psycho
but then...
all psychiatrists are psychoes


You'd better not pout, you'd better not cry
You'd better not shout, I'm telling you why
Santa Claus is dead

User avatar
ILuvEire
Posts: 10398
Joined: 2007-12-08, 17:41
Gender: male
Location: Austin
Country: US United States (United States)
Contact:

Postby ILuvEire » 2007-12-09, 7:11

hanumizzle wrote:
ILuvEire wrote:
hanumizzle wrote:
ILuvEire wrote:PS Sorry I can't type the diacritics...stupid computer! As you hopefully know, hoa (fire) and hoa (flower) are pronounced differently...I just cant type it.


You could use the VIQR mnemonic characters.


Huh? I have tried memorizing the ALT codes but they take WAY to long.


http://vietunicode.sourceforge.net/charset/viqr.html


And from there, where do I download it?

User avatar
hanumizzle
Posts: 2932
Joined: 2007-06-22, 23:02
Gender: male
Location: concat(List.intersperse " " (map (x -> reverse x) ["lol", "tuw"]))
Country: US United States (United States)

Postby hanumizzle » 2007-12-10, 13:31

ILuvEire wrote:And from there, where do I download it?


You don't download anything. Just type out Vietnamese text according to the rules described there, e.g., 'Ho^` Chi' Minh'.
Oleksij wrote:i wouldn't believe she's a psychiatrist in a million years
more like a psycho
but then...
all psychiatrists are psychoes




You'd better not pout, you'd better not cry

You'd better not shout, I'm telling you why

Santa Claus is dead

User avatar
Javier
Posts: 1872
Joined: 2005-04-19, 8:15
Real Name: Javier
Gender: male
Location: Munich
Country: DE Germany (Deutschland)

Postby Javier » 2007-12-10, 14:37

This Vietpad looks quite interesting. It seems you can type in VIQR and the thing will convert automatically to the proper characters. I'll download it now and see what happens :D
Ecuadorian | Native Spanish speaker. | Interested in these languages
Corrections appreciated -(Even in Spanish) ;)

User avatar
Tenebrarum
Posts: 6614
Joined: 2006-06-22, 17:02
Real Name: Duy
Gender: male

Postby Tenebrarum » 2007-12-10, 14:53

ILuvEire, if you want to type like a real Vietnamese, you have to download some kind of special software, like this one: UniKey. It allows you to use various sets of convention: VNI, Telex, VIRQ... Especially VNI, it's the most widespread (therefore, a must-learn).

UniKey does have an English interface, but it will first start up in the default Vietnamese one. So if you have any trouble with switching interfaces, feel free to PM me.
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

User avatar
Psi-Lord
Posts: 10087
Joined: 2002-08-18, 7:02
Real Name: Marcel Q.
Gender: male
Location: Cândido Mota
Country: BR Brazil (Brasil)
Contact:

Postby Psi-Lord » 2007-12-10, 15:36

Sisyphe wrote:Try to write the diacritic first and then the letter. :wink:

Curious you mention that, Sisyphe, because that’s exactly what does not work for me. :lol: And I guess Unicode does require diacritics to come after the character they modify (even if they have to be keyed in first). If I key e.g. Portuguese ã in my keyboard, I do type combining ~ and then a (̃a), but the system does have to convert it to a plus combining ~ (ã) instead (or even better, a pre-combined character: ã).

This is the list you typed, quoted from your message; the diacritics look all out of place for me:

a - d́âu ngang
̉a - d́âu h̉oi
́a - d́âu śăc
̀a - d́âu huỳên
̃a - d́âu ng̃a
̣a - d́âu ṇăng[/quote]

And this the same list, typed by me now, using pre-combined characters:

a - dấu ngang
ả - dấu hỏi
á - dấu sắc
à - dấu huyền
ã - dấu ngã
ạ - dấu nặng

I use pre-combined characters because, as a rule, combining diacritics look awful on Internet Explorer, even if properly put after the characters they modify:

a - dấu ngang
ả - dấu hỏi
á - dấu sắc
à - dấu huyền
ã - dấu ngã
ạ - dấu nặng

:P

Talk about digression, hehe.
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de) español rioplatense (es-AR) français (fr) 日本語 (ja) (ko) 普通話 (zh-CN) ••• العربية (ar) български (bg) magyar (hu) italiano (it) lingua Latina (la) polski (pl) ภาษาไทย (th) Türkçe (tr) (vi)

User avatar
JackFrost
Forum Administrator
Posts: 16226
Joined: 2004-11-08, 21:00
Real Name: Jack Frost
Gender: male
Location: Montréal
Country: CA Canada (Canada)

Postby JackFrost » 2007-12-10, 22:02

That's what I do. I just use what I have on my French keyboard and use the Portuguese one to combine the wavey thingie. The rest, I'll have to deal with the messed up letters. :roll:
Neferuj paħujkij!


Return to “South East Asian Languages”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest