Two problems I have in Vietnamese

jeebo
Two problems I have in Vietnamese

Postby jeebo » 2011-06-25, 11:14

1)I find the whole "cach xung ho" thing really dificult. It's not that I don't know who to address by what term anh, em, chi, di, chu, con, tao, may etc, for the most part I do. The problem is that most of my speaking has been with girlfriends and i'm very used to referring to myself as Anh. So when I start a conversation with an older woman and address her as Chi and myself as Em, it all starts out fine but i find myself calling her Em and me Anh and back and forth later in the conversation.

2) I also have a difficult time using a lot of the particles like nha, nhi, the, vay, a, thua, etc. When i'm listening i sometimes hear them and it seems clear as a bell, but when i say the same sentence i often omit them. Other times i'm listening and those particles confuse the meaning of the sentence to me.

Any ideas on how to work on these? Obviously just pushing myself to get out there and tiep xuc voi ng viet as much as possible would help, but any ideas that i can use to practice/drill on my own?

Pangu

Re: Two problems I have in Vietnamese

Postby Pangu » 2011-06-25, 14:11

jeebo wrote:1)I find the whole "cach xung ho" thing really dificult. It's not that I don't know who to address by what term anh, em, chi, di, chu, con, tao, may etc, for the most part I do. The problem is that most of my speaking has been with girlfriends and i'm very used to referring to myself as Anh. So when I start a conversation with an older woman and address her as Chi and myself as Em, it all starts out fine but i find myself calling her Em and me Anh and back and forth later in the conversation.

I know what you mean. Even though my Vietnamese is nowhere near as good to have actual conversations, I have accidentally called my Vietnamese girlfriend's mother "em" (and refer to myself as "anh") on a few occasions... :roll:

My girlfriend and my other Vietnamese friends just told me to keep practicing to get used to it.

Tenebrarum

Re: Two problems I have in Vietnamese

Postby Tenebrarum » 2011-06-25, 14:57

jeebo wrote:1)I find the whole "cach xung ho" thing really dificult. It's not that I don't know who to address by what term anh, em, chi, di, chu, con, tao, may etc, for the most part I do.

You can think of the people you meet as your family members. If that person were in the same family with you, what would be the most likely relation between you and them? A man in the same generation with your father, but younger than him? Chú. Older than him? Bác. And so on.

About you habit: That's funny. Super awkward too. :lol:

jeebo wrote:2) I also have a difficult time using a lot of the particles like nha, nhi, the, vay, a, thua, etc.

I haven't seen any learning resource on this, unfortunately. Unless someone has and would like to share with us, you can try remembering particular sentences and posting them here, so I and the others might elaborate on, I think?
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

Return to “South East Asian Languages”