Chu Nom Revival [Vietnamese]

Tenebrarum

Re: Chu Nom Revival

Postby Tenebrarum » 2012-09-27, 16:35

Pangu wrote:First of all, good job on using "Westerners/foreigners" there to imply non-Vietnamese opinions are invalid or at least somehow less valid ;)

It's just an observation on my part - the people who feel the need to assign Vietnam to a nice and neat culture block are the ones who, without fail, hail from outside of it. And I don't understand why they feel such a need in the first place. Our homegrown cultural purists operate from a different platform.

Pangu wrote:I have never lived in Vietnam but I have certainly been there a few times. My impression was that Vietnamese culture has both East and Southeast Asian elements, with the former more beneath the surface while the latter more on the surface. Once you get past the heat, humidity, eating green papayas and casualness of the people, that's where you see the difference between the more Sino-centric Vietnamese and their more Indo-centric mainland Southeast Asian neighbors.

I agree with you; that's just the way Vietnam is. What does that have to do with chữ Nôm, though?
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

Pangu

Postby Pangu » 2012-10-04, 6:14

Tenebrarum wrote:
Pangu wrote:I have never lived in Vietnam but I have certainly been there a few times. My impression was that Vietnamese culture has both East and Southeast Asian elements, with the former more beneath the surface while the latter more on the surface. Once you get past the heat, humidity, eating green papayas and casualness of the people, that's where you see the difference between the more Sino-centric Vietnamese and their more Indo-centric mainland Southeast Asian neighbors.

I agree with you; that's just the way Vietnam is. What does that have to do with chữ Nôm, though?

I suppose nothing, you brought up the topic first.

Cycol

Postby Cycol » 2013-04-15, 11:01

A wonderpuf website:
http://www.chunom.org/ime/ :yep: :partyhat: :burning:
Current Focus
[flag]nl[/flag] Nederlands [flag]tl[/flag]Tagalog [flag]pt[/flag] português [flag]syc[/flag] ܣܘܪܝܝܐ [flag]bm[/flag]Mandi'nka kango[flag]fa[/flag] اُردو [flag]ur[/flag] فارسی [flag]ml[/flag]മലയാളം [flag]zh[/flag]漢語[flag]en[/flag] English[flag]ro[/flag]عربية تشادية

Return to “South East Asian Languages”