Vietnamese - Laoshu505000

Laoshu505000

chào mổi người

Postby Laoshu505000 » 2008-10-04, 19:43

Chào~ tên tôi là chuột và tôi là người mỹ. Tôi hai mươi bảy tưổi. Thực sự lâu rồi không thực hành tiếng việt, vậy thì tôi đến đây để nói chuyện với người Việt Nam. Tôi sống ở Columbus thử đô Ohio.Tôi cũng lâp gia đình nhưng chúng ta chưa có con nhỏ. Tốt~ bây giờ tôi phải đi. Hẹn gặp lại.

chuột

Laoshu505000

video tôi trong Tiếng Việt

Postby Laoshu505000 » 2008-10-06, 22:08

Tenebrarum

Re: video tôi trong Tiếng Việt

Postby Tenebrarum » 2008-10-07, 7:58

Laoshu, very interesting. :P

First off, I have something to say about the topic title. I understand that you did the thing every new language learner would do when forming sentences, that is to calque from their native language; and more often than not, prepositions lead them astray. In your case, "in language X" doesn't mean 'inside language X' but rather 'by means of / through language X'. So the Vietnamese equivalent of "in" here cannot be "trong", but "bằng".
E.g:
trong nhà - inside the house; household (adj)
trong thâm tâm - in mind
vs.
đi bằng xe - to travel by xe (= any vehicle on land)
viết bằng phấn - to write with chalk / written with chalk

And with a noun with multiple syllables like "video" you shouldn't omit the possessive marker "của", as that makes the phrase sound 'cut off' and defective.
E.g:
xe (của) tôi, nhà (của) tôi - my vehicle, my house (monosyllabic nouns)
con gái (của) tôi - my daughter (disyllabic, but the noun is so basic)
vs.
con gái đầu lòng của tôi - my firstborn daughter (noun phrase)
con chó của tôi - my dog
video của tôi - my video/clip

So... apply those stuffs and we have a proper phrase - video của tôi bằng tiếng Việt
But actually that doesn't sound perfectly natural either. Here's how a native would do it:

Code: Select all

video   tôi   nói   tiếng Việt
video   I   speak   Vietnamese

==> "Clip of me speaking Vietnamese"

----------------------------------------------------------------
That was the title. Now the clip itself.

At some points it's barely intelligible, because your tones are not in line enough. Coming from an atonal background where intonation just flows freely, you still let them waver wander too much. Try to keep them molded, fixed and robotic. Practice each tone separately. Forget about the context-dependent intonation of Western languages. If you want to speak Vietnamese, or any other tonal guy for that matter, you do only what the tones tell you.

I see that you've chosen the Northern dialect. If you care enough, I encourage you to expose yourself to the Southern (Saigon) one as well, since the two may sound very different and if you're too accustomed to one of them the other might become unintelligible.

"Chào các ông các bà" is overly formal. It's just ridiculous. Here you only need "Chào các bạn".

"Tôi đang học tiếng Trung Quốc". And vợ Laoshu là người... what?

Some minor pronunciation notes:
- your [t] is still too strong (aspirated), resulting in, for example, your "tôi" sounds like "thôi".
- likewise with [k]. Cheat: use the English G instead.
- close your lips after syllables ending in: ông, ong, ung, ôc, oc, uc, as if there's an "m" (for the former three) or "p" (for the latter three) attached.
- your AY sounds like AI. The A in AY is shorter, like German short A
- [x] (KH) doesn't need to be that strong, in real life it's much softer, almost like [h]. And yours turns into the aspirated [k] of English before front vowels, like [i].

But you get the other phonemes very well. Considering you've only been learning it for a month, that's a great job! :)
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

Laoshu505000

Postby Laoshu505000 » 2008-10-07, 11:04

Cảm ơn xem video của tôi nói bằng Tiếng Việt. Bằng video tôi, tôi đã nói rằng vở tôi là người Taiwan thôi :) Thank you so much for the feedback.

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2008-10-07, 12:00

Laoshu505000 wrote:Cảm ơn đã xem video bằng tiếng Việt của tôi / video của tôi nói tiếng Việt. Bằng Trong video tôi (của mình), tôi đã nói rằng v tôi là người Đài Loan rồi :)

"In the video" = "during the video; inside the content of the video" :wink:
Of course I know, logically speaking, saying "through the vid" is a perfectly fine alternative. But Vietnamese just doesn't interpret the situation that way.

Mình is a kind of reflexive pronoun like German sich, Esperanto si, English -self and -selves words, in case you wonder. It allows you to avoid repetition.
Be careful as it might also mean "I" (very cute 1st person singular pronoun, used between lovers), or "body", or it might be the shortening of "một mình" (alone).

Laoshu505000 wrote:Thank you so much for the feedback.

It's my pleasure.

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2008-10-08, 6:41

Well, I am ashamed that just one month, Draven can understand you.

I still can't do that much despite years. :roll: :partyhat:
Neferuj paħujkij!

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Re: chào mổi người

Postby JackFrost » 2008-10-08, 6:50

tôi là người mỹ

Mỹ.

Don't forget to capitalize nationalities too, so "Mỹ" is no exception.

I always wonder why the USA ends up being "Mỹ" in Vietnamese.

tiếng việt

Việt.

Same reason as above.

The rest... Only Draven could manage this task. Tôi nói tiếng Việt như đứa bé. ;)
Neferuj paħujkij!

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2008-10-08, 14:28

Laoshu505000 wrote:Chào~ tên tôi là chuột và tôi là người mỹ. Tôi hai mươi bảy tưổi. Thực sự lâu rồi không thực hành tiếng việt, vậy thì tôi đến đây để nói chuyện với người Việt Nam. Tôi sống ở Columbus thủ phủ Ohio.Tôi cũng lâp gia đình nhưng chúng tôi chưa có con nhỏ. Tốt~ Bây giờ tôi phải đi. Hẹn gặp lại.

tôi - singular - "I"
chúng tôi - plural - "we (exclusive)"
chúng ta = we (inclusive)

Of course if you've read overview on Vietnamese you should have known its pronoun system is far from that simple.
About the "tốt"... Vietnamese never use expressions like "alright" or "okay" to conclude their speech.
"Thủ đô" means capital of a whole country. State's capital is "thủ phủ".

JackFrost wrote:I always wonder why the USA ends up being "Mỹ" in Vietnamese.

From the "me" in America. The Chinese transcribed 'America' into characters, which are read A Mỹ Lợi Gia in Sino-Vietnamese. (Source)

JackFrost wrote:Tôi nói tiếng Việt như một đứa bé. ;)

Better: Tôi nói tiếng Việt giỏi cỡ con nít.
And yes, that's true. Well not exactly... you speak like a foreign baby.

Laoshu505000

Postby Laoshu505000 » 2008-10-12, 14:27

Nah, don't worry about it. You can do that much. We both just have our own ways of learning language. How long have you been learning anyway?

Laoshu505000

Sở thích riêng

Postby Laoshu505000 » 2008-10-12, 15:40

Chaò các bạn. Hôm này tôi s̃e nói chuyện về hoạt đọng thôi. Khi tôi có thì giờ, tôi thích xem phim với vợ của tôi. Thường chúng tôi xem phim ở nhà thôi. Lâu rồi không đi xem hát. Tại vì chúng tôi có thể download nhiều phim từ internet. Tôi nghĩ rằng mặt này rất thuận lợi. vì̀ chúng tôi không phải nộp tiền xem phim. Tôi cũng thích dùng thì giờ câu cá. nếu các anh không đã câu cá....l̀am ơn đi. Tôi thề là các bạn sẽ thích quá. Tôi cũng đôi khi thích chơi video game với bạn cuả tôi. Tốt lắm bây giờ tôi sẽ đi. Gặp lại sau nhé . Tạm biệt :)

polishboy

Postby polishboy » 2009-01-09, 22:59

JackFrost wrote:
tôi là người mỹ

Mỹ.

Don't forget to capitalize nationalities too, so "Mỹ" is no exception.

I always wonder why the USA ends up being "Mỹ" in Vietnamese.

tiếng việt

Việt.

Same reason as above.

The rest... Only Draven could manage this task. Tôi nói tiếng Việt như đứa bé. ;)

USA is called My in Vietnamese, because It is Chinese character for beutiful.
In CHinese and Korean USA is "Beutiful country", So Vietnamese shortened it more and they say My and not My quoc (quoc is Vietnamese pronountiation of Chinese character for a country).
I think USA is called Beutiul country because of prnountation reasons...
or maybe they like USA so much.

Imbecilica

Re: Vietnamese - Laoshu505000

Postby Imbecilica » 2009-03-13, 15:31

The real reason why the USA is colloquially referred to as Mỹ is that Mỹ is a shortening of the Vietnamese transliteration of the Chinese Mei Li Ka which in turn is a phoneticisation of America. Hence, Mỹ is simply derived from A'me'rica. The mei in Mei Li Ka just so happens to be Mỹ (美)。 Mỹ Quốc is simply from the Chinese Mei Guo (美国) which is simply because when Mei Li Ka is shortened to Mei, they add Guo to show it's a country, hence Mei Guo actually means American country where Mei is short for Mei Li Ka (America). You might also ask why Spain is Tây Ban Nha? Similarly it is from the Chinese Xi Ban Ya which is a rough phoneticisation of the native Spanish word for Spain - Espan~a.

Okê, mệt wá ... sao tui cứ thức khuya hoài! :ohwell:
~ Talib, mày là cái thằng khốn nạn! Đồ đề tiện! ~

Return to “South East Asian Languages”