Vietnamese learning resource.

lishaoxuan
Vietnamese learning resource.

Postby lishaoxuan » 2008-02-21, 12:17

Could anyone collect some online resource for learning Vietnamese here?
For example, online course, online radio, dictionaries, videos, musics and stuff like that.

So it would be easy to search for everyone.

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2008-02-21, 15:10

Erm... let see...

- VNmese online courses suck
- VNmese online dictionaries suck
- VNmese music and music videos suck
- No-one really cares about radio don't they?

Note that my post is completely subjective. So there's still hope. If you choose to believe there is.

No, seriously, I'll be a little more positive: Here is a forum full of native speakers speaking fluent English. Some are amateur linguists too, so you can ask them about daily life Vietnamese as well as some syntax* stuffs.

Vietnamese is so esoteric that you can only learn it once you've joined The Order.

Now this is even more serious: the new Unilang site will have a Beginner Vietnamese course with 6 Lessons. Not a great joy or something, but it's something riiiiiite?

Deeply sorry if I happen to sound like a psycho.

* Let's just assume that the Vietnamese language itself cares about syntax
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

korn

Postby korn » 2008-04-28, 8:27

Xin chao!
Toi tim thay duoc hai trang tren web. Day nay:

Hello!
I've found two sites on the internet. Here you are:

http://fsi-language-courses.com/Vietnamese.aspx
http://www.vietcourses.com/learn/

Tam biet!
Bye!

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2008-04-28, 12:39

korn wrote:http://fsi-language-courses.com/Vietnamese.aspx

Wow... The material on that site is very old. Ancient, in fact. I feel funny reading Vietnamese stuffs written prior to 1975... :lol: The style has changed much since then, apparently. But that's only in Vietnam. Oversea communities retain the pre-75 atmosphere in their writing, especially the Californian Viets.

korn wrote:[s]Xin[/s] Chao!

Xin chào is kind of a "first-time" greeting. It's too long you see. From the second time on, it's usually just Chào. The English "Hi!" is much more fashionable though :lol:

korn wrote:Toi tim thay [s]duoc[/s] hai trang [s]tren[/s] web : [s]Day nay:[/s]

You use either thấy or được. Using both is redundant. Yeah... but many native speakers fall for that :roll:

Because this is the first point in your post does the noun "website" appear, you should use its full form - trang web. "On the internet/web" is usually translated as "trên mạng", but anyway you don't need it here, since "I've found two websites on the internet" would be redundant.

You don't need "đây này" either. A colon is enough.

Cheers
D.

korn

Re: Vietnamese learning resource.

Postby korn » 2008-10-26, 17:29

Chao cac anh chi!

Korn da tim thay mot trang tu dien viet-anh/ anh-viet tren mang. nhung cai trang ay khong tot dau, vi mot so chu no dich khong dung! dem ra Korn hoi cac nguoi o day, cac anh chi co biet mot tu dien viet-anh/ anh-viet tot tren mang khong? Cam on truoc rup do korn nhe.

ps.: Neu ay thich thu tu dien viet-anh/ anh-viet tren mang kem, korn noi chuyen vua roi, thi day nay:
http://vdict.com/

Nhung korn noi lai: Tu dien ay khong hoan doan dung dau! Dem ra anh chi phai chu y!
Please correct all my mistakes, no matter how trivial they may seem to you, also, please help me to improve my phrases. Thank you in advance!
---
S'il vous plaît, corrigez toutes mes fautes, même si elles vous paraissent insignifiantes. Et aidez-moi, s'il vous plaît, à améliorer ma façon de m'exprimer. Merci d'avance!
---
Nếu tôi viết chỗ nào chưa đúng, dù là lỗi nhỏ hay nghiêm trọng, thì các bạn hãy sửa lại giúp tôi hoặc góp ý để tôi có thể học hỏi và rút kinh nghiệm. Cám ơn các bạn nhé!

polishboy

Postby polishboy » 2008-12-18, 11:10

モモンガ

Postby モモンガ » 2011-11-21, 13:54

yesterday I have watched interesting course on vtv4, late at night, there is a Vietnamese course for foreigners.
Late at night, due to the time difference, of course.
The hosts are two little girls, Huong and her friend.
If someone can watch vtv4, I think it could be useful.
[flag]tr[/flag]Türkçe [flag]vi[/flag]㗂越[flag]lo[/flag]ພາສາລາວ[flag]tet[/flag]Prasa Tetun

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2011-11-24, 20:30

Okay so I'll just repost titles of the books that impressed me most. Hope they'd help.

Elementary Vietnamese, 2003 and Continuing Vietnamese, 2010 by Binh Nhu Ngo
---> (Northern-ish) written language, heavy on linguistics, IPA and grammar. A very polarizing book on Amazon because of its approach, plus the CDs are expensive, but I think the average Unilanger would take a liking to it.

Vietnamese for Beginners - Second Edition, Jake Catlette and Huong Nguyen, 2008
---> Saigonese dialect; concise lessons with vocabulary that you can actually use in 2011 Saigon.

LackOfFuel

Re: Translation requests

Postby LackOfFuel » 2012-07-09, 13:11

So, I got my hands on Teach Yourself Vietnamese book. Do any of you know it? Is it reliable?
Smisel življenja je ležanje na plaži. 8-)

Tenebrarum

Re: Translation requests

Postby Tenebrarum » 2012-07-10, 2:09

By Dana Healy? Personally I dom't think that's the best choice. There would be about ten words listed in Glossary, but in the exercise you'll encounter like over 20 new ones, without explanation anywhere. How can you "teach yourself" with that? :para:

Does it come with a disc? Because last time I checked, the CD and the book didn't support each other very well.

This one teaches the northern standard, like most other books.

LackOfFuel

Postby LackOfFuel » 2012-07-10, 12:56

Thanks! Will try to get my hands on other resources too, and then I'll see. :)
Smisel življenja je ležanje na plaži. 8-)

モモンガ

Postby モモンガ » 2012-09-09, 13:20

http://www.vietnamesepod101.com/
new website - not many lessons yet, but I like those 'pods'.
[flag]tr[/flag]Türkçe [flag]vi[/flag]㗂越[flag]lo[/flag]ພາສາລາວ[flag]tet[/flag]Prasa Tetun

korn

Postby korn » 2012-09-11, 13:43

everydayviet is a youtube channel and a website. Unfortunately it teaches only the Southern dialect.

Here's an interview with her.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue8Y67ZIWK0
Please correct all my mistakes, no matter how trivial they may seem to you, also, please help me to improve my phrases. Thank you in advance!
---
S'il vous plaît, corrigez toutes mes fautes, même si elles vous paraissent insignifiantes. Et aidez-moi, s'il vous plaît, à améliorer ma façon de m'exprimer. Merci d'avance!
---
Nếu tôi viết chỗ nào chưa đúng, dù là lỗi nhỏ hay nghiêm trọng, thì các bạn hãy sửa lại giúp tôi hoặc góp ý để tôi có thể học hỏi và rút kinh nghiệm. Cám ơn các bạn nhé!

korn

Vietnamese Vids in Northern dialect w Vietnamese subtitles

Postby korn » 2012-09-18, 8:20

Hi there,

I'm searching for Vietnamese Vids in Northern dialect with Vietnamese subtitles on the internet. I don't want to download but watch them online. So any source like youtube channels are welcomed.

Thanks in advance. Best regards.
---
---

korn

Vietnamese learning sources for advanced learners?

Postby korn » 2012-09-18, 9:01

Hi there,

Finding sources where you can learn how to greet or say your name (e.g. everydayviet.com resp. the youtube channel) isn't difficult to find. But when you exceed a certain level you can't find any good sources anymore.Do you know Vietnamese learning sources for advanced learners?

Thanks in advance. Regards
---
---

korn

Postby korn » 2012-09-24, 8:27

---
---

korn

youtube channels by Vietnamese speaking EN & VN

Postby korn » 2012-09-26, 18:04

Hi there,

Do you know Vieetnamese who've got their own youtube channel and speaking English and Vietnamese? Like this girl here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/oNYANNo?feature=watch
---
---

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2012-10-10, 13:39

The very resource that opened up the non-Indo-European world for me, many years ago! :)
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2012-12-08, 7:12

I've just completed this thing. It's an IPA guide for Vietnamese, with dialectal differences and current sound changes. Hope it helps. :)

While uploading my work to Scribd, I also found a long paper on Vietnamese folk literature there. Fun to read if you're curious, and it provides quite a few explanations for the cliched sayings you may encounter while learning the language too. (Part of this collection)

jiback7

which resources?

Postby jiback7 » 2013-03-21, 2:40

Hello, I've learned a little vietnamese before, but have forgotten a lot.
What is the best online free resource? Is there any website that has chronological lessons or chapters and could spoon-feed me vocab and examples? Anything will help thanks!

Return to “South East Asian Languages”